Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester CVT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to take a week long trip to Breckenridge, Colorado in the second week of January in my '14 Forester and wanted to know how the driving is all the way there. I've driven there in the Spring, but never done it during the winter with all the ice. Is there anything I should keep in mind? Is it mandatory that I purchase new winter-only tires and exchange the factory all-season tires? Any help/suggestions is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1998 Maxima auto
256 Posts
There is no law for snow tires that I am aware of. Truckers must carry chains though. I would carry blankets, water, shovel, and other emergency gear with you.

What is your route? BlueFox would have a better idea on the routes and average conditions between Brk and Arizona. I know the wind can whip up across South Park, if you are taking 285 to 9.

Even I-25 in the front range area has multiple gates that can be closed for storms and such.

·
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,465 Posts
If you stick to the interstates, they keep them well plowed/gritted. You won't have much problem there. The problem you may run into is the local roads. I saw the parking lots of the hotels completely iced over last winter. Without studs, no one was getting out. With studs and AWD, no problem. If you plan on taking any route other than the interstate, I HIGHLY recommend winter tires.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester CVT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a specific route planned, but I was going to follow the interstates as much as possible. Based on a quick Google map check, it looks like I have to go through I-17N, I-40E, US 89, US 191, and I-70 E. I'm not sure if all those freeways are well maintained, but regardless, I'm going to have to get off the freeway at some point. I hate to spend $500+ on a set of winter tires for a single trip since I could just buy plane tickets at that price. I've never dealt with heavy ice/snow conditions (I've lived in Arizona almost all my life), are studs or chains sufficient for these conditions? I know Thule sells some decent chains, but they are also upwards of $400-500.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
The interstates should be fine, but that is such a BEAUTIFUL drive in the winter that it would be sad to do it on the interstates and not the back roads. I've driven through Colorado during some bad storms with standard all-season tires and I was fine, you just have to be extremely careful. A set of winter tires for a trip isn't worth it unless you can borrow them from someone.

What I would do is to keep an eye on the weather and use the websites that show the current road conditions in Colorado. If there is a storm in the area, find a different route. But like I said, I've taken many trips through Colorado during the winter on the back roads, and most of the time they were clear unless a storm moved through.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
169 Posts
very beautiful drive...i drove from atl to phx as well as atl to washington. All in a CRV (missed my forester terribly). I know there are certain parts where chains are required. bring some! drive safe and enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts