Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester xt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to florida this summer, and dont whether to take the liberty or XT. I'D prefer the XT as it gets better MPG, but im concerned about the turbo, we did it with the wrx years ago and everything was ok. Is there anything that would insure a safe trip? I would take it to the dealer before hand, to get some fresh oil and have them inspect the fluids and belts. Any tips would help.
thanks
jerry

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
shouldn't be any problem if the car is in good running shape as it appears it will be. when i bought my xt i drove from NW colorado straight through to seattle. only stopped for about 5 hours for a little nap.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,784 Posts
Heading to florida this summer, and dont whether to take the liberty or XT. I'D prefer the XT as it gets better MPG, but im concerned about the turbo, we did it with the wrx years ago and everything was ok. Is there anything that would insure a safe trip? I would take it to the dealer before hand, to get some fresh oil and have them inspect the fluids and belts. Any tips would help.
thanks
jerry
Long trips make for very, very easy miles on a car. The engine just hums along in steady state, the turbo will not be working for the most part, the trans doesn't shift much, the brakes aren't used, etc. I'd start with relatively fresh oil in the engine, check tire pressures, etc.

Absolutely nothing to be concerned about other than keeping the driver(s) awake and avoiding speeding tickets. I almost consider trip miles to be "wasted warranty miles" because they're so easy on a car and stress things so little.

George

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
Have the oil changed and any other maintenance done a week before you head out - to give you time to resolve any problems discovered during the maintenance and make sure they got the oil plug back in! (I'm one the side of not trusting a mechanic; at the least, take a peak under it and check your oil a few times before you leave and you'll be fine).

You may already know that, but take it from someone who learned the hard way 10 years ago; a simple brake pad job the night before a trip turned into a nightmare when the caliper slide pin seized and snapped off in the caliper harness...and of course the parts place did NOT have a replacement on hand :icon_sad:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
You're worrying over nothing. Its a Canadian tradition for young guys to drive the biggest POS from Canada , 25hrs straight down to Florida for spring break. I did it years ago in an 82 Mazda 626 with rusted out frame rails. If you're at all concerned have the dealer do a quick inspection for any leaks or signs of trouble adn you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
575 Posts
I hear you. On Wednesday, I'm picking up my Forester in Philly and driving it back to San Francisco. That's going to bore like no other.
I'm going to stop mid-way through day 1 to get oil and a filter and have a quickie shop change it out for me, than it's on my way.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
From Pa to Fla..........piece of cake. Your MY09XT should have nooooo problems. As most said, if you need an oil change before (at required mileage), do it. If you have done it in the last 2k you should be fine and able to have an OC done in Fla for the return trip. Can't be more than a 1300 mi. trip. Remember the recommended OC interval is 3750 on the XT. If it were me with my XT, I would feel comfortable up to 4K as highway mileage is easy on a vehicle.....if you stay at safe operating limits. My feeling is that Subaru sets the OC at 3750 because of the turbo and doesn't know how hard a person is pushing the vehicle so at 3750 it ensures the oil can do it's job of protecting the TC and hasn't broken down to excess. I believe now the NA models have a 7500 mile OC level.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
^ Not recommended in case of a warranty claim...

Air up your tires and check the spare besides preparing for road conditions.. The turbo will just get you there quicker if there's any mountain passes.

·
Registered
2010 Forester(sold 11/12) Manual
49 Posts
In my declining years (which I certainly am), I'm more the problem on long trips than the car is...10 hours in a day is pretty much the max for this codger. Surprisingly, on one of the last long trips I took, the battery failed (right at the end of the trip). So I'd suggest a load test of that pup so you don't end up getting gouged on a replacement in some backwoods berg. Just my opinion, of course...

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
I made the trip to Florida from Buffalo, NY back in February... 19 hour drive in my modded XT.

Check out my trip journals, my XT has made the trip twice now.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/badfozs-florida-vacation-lots-pics-49806/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f168/duderotomys-florida-vacation-2010-a-68839/

You really made it in 19 ? I didn't think you're 4hrs south of me, just more west-ish. I've never heard of anyone made it from Ottawa in 20 ever. But I guess, you're 4hrs from here West then straight down South.

·
Registered
2009 forester xt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont use synthetic oil,but the car wont pass 2300 round trip plus the hundred or so before the trip.
My main concern with safety is because we will have our niece and nephew with us so i want to be 110% safe. Thanks for the replies:)

·
Registered
2009 forester xt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have the oil changed and any other maintenance done a week before you head out - to give you time to resolve any problems discovered during the maintenance and make sure they got the oil plug back in! (I'm one the side of not trusting a mechanic; at the least, take a peak under it and check your oil a few times before you leave and you'll be fine).

You may already know that, but take it from someone who learned the hard way 10 years ago; a simple brake pad job the night before a trip turned into a nightmare when the caliper slide pin seized and snapped off in the caliper harness...and of course the parts place did NOT have a replacement on hand :icon_sad:
Yeah, mechanics can cause alot of undo stress, everytime i take it to the dealer it seems something happens. Spilling oil all over the engine bay, scratching the car, grease all over,etc

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
You really made it in 19 ? I didn't think you're 4hrs south of me, just more west-ish. I've never heard of anyone made it from Ottawa in 20 ever. But I guess, you're 4hrs from here West then straight down South.
that was actually my average time... took 20 to get there because of that brutal snowstorm we drove through, and then 18 to drive back.
And North Florida is a shorter trip than Tampa, but that's only 3 hours further from where we stayed. The lack of a more direct route are the reasons for the time differences...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts