Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went through clutch replacement ordeal.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/clutch-chirp-70153/
Finally got new Subaru flywheel and light chatter is gone. However, the car still jerks quite noticeably if taking off a little slow at light load (like pulling out of a parking space). Not quite as bad as the 2000 foresters I had but not like a new clutch should feel either. :icon_frown:

The clutch disc and other parts are an Exedy kit (that makes official Subaru parts).

Might the jerk be from slightly different friction material on the Exedy-branded clutch kit versus Subaru OEM kit?

Would some of the Kartboy, Whiteline, etc. differential outrigger and/or housing bushings change the properties of the drive system enough that it wouldn't jerk so much? I am leery of adding noise and vibration to the interior of the car so I was considering "soft" outrigger bushings first.

I looked everything over and the workmanship of the job looks good. No bolts, transmission, or motor mounts seem loose, deteriorated, or missing. There is just noticeable movement of the differential outrigger crossmember and the passenger side barely has a squeak when moving by hand (can't hear inside car). Also, I have never heard the infamous Subaru "shift-clunk" in my car either.

Ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Keep in mind that your '04 is drive by wire, so there are some throttle quirks as well.

Also, there is a restrictor built into the clutch master cylinder to limit how fast it feeds the clutch out. Additionally, the circuit has some temp compensation built into it, so it can be quirky as well.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually '04 is not drive by wire. i still have actual throttle cable, idle air control valve with blue sticker and other stuff. i believe they started drive by wire in '05?

clutch hydraulic release speed doesn't seem to be an issue. the reason speed is slow is because i'm releasing the pedal slowly pulling out of parking space because i don't want to hit anyone.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Did you resurface the flywheel?

The clutch is a wear item like brakes and needs time for the mating surfaces to make full contact. I'd be patient but sometimes a few slips help to accelerate the process. This also helps with chatter on older discs. Kinda like when you get deposits on your brake rotors (AKA warped rotors to some).

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you resurface the flywheel?

The clutch is a wear item like brakes and needs time for the mating surfaces to make full contact. I'd be patient but sometimes a few slips help to accelerate the process. This also helps with chatter on older discs. Kinda like when you get deposits on your brake rotors (AKA warped rotors to some).
brand-spankin' new genuine subaru flywheel part. was told it was 2-piece and resurfacing not generally a good idea for this car.

the jerkiness is not clutch chatter or shudder. it seems the rest of the drivetrain is generally shaking when letting the clutch out slowly at light loads. original clutch did not do this.

i have found it helps to reduce the jerk by artificially elevating the motor speed more than i used to - but then i wonder if extra slipping will reduce life?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I changed my flywheel out too for warranty purposes but you can pretty much resurface any flywheel.

Sure sounds like shudder to me especially with a new disc. Not sure what you consider "shudder" to be? How the old clutch behaved has no bearing on the new one. I'd be patient while it breaks in. If it still chatters after a few K I'd give it a few hard slips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts