Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Premium Crappy 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only happens when it's below 30. It is a loud screach when going down or up. Any ideas? Think a return trip to the dealer is called for?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try raising and lowering the window with the door open. If it still squeals, take it to the dealer.

If it is quiet, the noise is from the window rubbing on the rubber weatherstripping and not from the power window mechanism. Try cleaning both the glass and the weatherstripping with Windex. Then treat the weatherstripping with a very thin layer of silicone grease. Use GM Goodwrench Dielectric Silicone Grease (part no. 12345579), ACDelco Dielectric Silicone Grease (Part 10-4007 88900334), or equivalent.

Apply a dab to a soft cloth and apply it lightly but thoroughly to the rubber. Let it soak for a few minutes, then wipe off any surplus with a soft cloth. Only a light coating is needed.

It preserves the rubber and keeps the doors from freezing to the weatherstripping. If you are worried that the silicone grease might stain clothing, you could try something like Armor-All instead, but I wouldn't use it on my car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tried silicone spray, but may aim was poor and it didn't last as long on the weatherstripping. :oops:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try it tonight!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Just a note of advice about using windex like products to clean your windows, hopefully I dont sound like an Idiot saying this.

Your tint will not appreciate ammonia base window cleaners!

"Window tint film is often applied to the inside windows to shade passengers or provide privacy. Window tint film is a thin sheet of Mylar plastic. Mylar easily scratches and will be destroyed by ammonia. To clean tinted windows, use mild cleaners and water only. "
Nearly all glass cleaners contain ammonia, which is a great grease cutter but has some significant disadvantages. It can release prodigious amounts of fumes that should not be inhaled especially in enclosed areas, like the inside of your vehicle. Chemically it acts to dry out plastic, rubber, vinyl, and leather. Most significantly, in sunnier climates, car owners often customize with additional non-factory tinting. Ammonia based cleaners cannot be used on the after-market, non-factory tinted windows. If your current cleaner does not state “ammonia-free” or “safe for tinted windows” you should find another cleaner. NOTE: AVOID HOUSEHOLD GLASS CLEANERS, which almost all contain ammonia. A few examples of tint-safe glass cleaners are; Stoner Invisible Glass, Mother’s Glass Cleaner, and Meguiar’s NXT Generation Glass Cleaner.

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Just a note of advice about using windex like products to clean your windows, hopefully I dont sound like an Idiot saying this.

Your tint will not appreciate ammonia base window cleaners!

"Window tint film is often applied to the inside windows to shade passengers or provide privacy. Window tint film is a thin sheet of Mylar plastic. Mylar easily scratches and will be destroyed by ammonia. To clean tinted windows, use mild cleaners and water only. "
Nearly all glass cleaners contain ammonia, which is a great grease cutter but has some significant disadvantages. It can release prodigious amounts of fumes that should not be inhaled especially in enclosed areas, like the inside of your vehicle. Chemically it acts to dry out plastic, rubber, vinyl, and leather. Most significantly, in sunnier climates, car owners often customize with additional non-factory tinting. Ammonia based cleaners cannot be used on the after-market, non-factory tinted windows. If your current cleaner does not state “ammonia-free” or “safe for tinted windows” you should find another cleaner. NOTE: AVOID HOUSEHOLD GLASS CLEANERS, which almost all contain ammonia. A few examples of tint-safe glass cleaners are; Stoner Invisible Glass, Mother’s Glass Cleaner, and Meguiar’s NXT Generation Glass Cleaner.
There is a genaric foam window cleaner, I'll get the name tomorrow, that is cheap and contain no ammonia. It's all I use.

Ben

·
Registered
98 Posts
SenorSubie, good catch about the ammonia-based glass cleaners and after-market tinted windows.

No car of mine has ever had tinting done to the windows, so I didn't know about that. :?

M

·
0 Posts
You could try a graphite powder?
Nice dry-style lubricant...can be a bit messy if you throw it around too much.
Just a little in the right place should do the trick. Safe for tint too.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
When I had mine tinted I was told to just use a damp clean towel.
For stubborn dirt, a little Ivory hand soap on the area is safe too.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Javan said:
Only happens when it's below 30. It is a loud screach when going down or up. Any ideas? Think a return trip to the dealer is called for?
I'm not sure about you, but I dont really open my windows alot when its below 30....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no tinting, but Still will keep this in mind.

Also, I open my window about 2-3 times a week to check my mailbox.

·
Registered
216 Posts
IMy left window makes that sound ONLY when the vehicles is very dirty..........maybe the dirt rubs between the glass and the rubber.

After washing, I pass some leather / vinyl protection using a sponge.

works well for me...........

·
Registered
2006 Forester
1 Posts
I do have the same sound going up or down which is very unpleasant. I sent it to the dealer once and they didn't take it seriously because the sound came back a day after. I'm still trying to find what could cause that, or how I could lubricate the macanism to stop this very unpleasant noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts