Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 XSMT Premium
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side window is not working. I can hear the motor turn, but nothing. It sounds as if it is on its way to a slow painful death...

So, I did some research online and found A1 Cardone motors for around $80 delivered. Brand new non-OEM motors with warranty.

Anyone instaill one of these? How is the quality?

How hard is it for me to do it myself?

Much thanks in advance.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Back in my parts selling days I sold Cardone stuff. At that time it was all remanufactured. It was okay; we rarely had problems with it. I can't say about new 'generic' motors though.

You say the motor still runs though. Window motor failures are usually all or nothing as far as the motor. They either run fine or they quit completely. It sounds like the problem is either the gear on the motor (possible, still means motor replacement) or the window regulator assembly is broken. You need to take the door apart and see what the problem is first. The regulator is only $77. The motor (new) from Subaru about $210. I've not heard of either being a problem so would also consider used, at least on the motor, but $80 for a new one is pretty good. If it's a gear issue, I'd want the gear on the motor to be made of the same or better material.

·
Registered
2003 XSMT Premium
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still struggling....

Well, the motor was completely "dead" this morning, but it started to turn again this afternoon. I have no idea what's going on, I guess I need to take the door apart to assess the situation. How hard is this? Any tips from you guys? Thanks. Oh, and Cardone motor I found is indeed remanufactured.

·
Premium Member
2014 RDX AWD W/Tech
745 Posts
Hey all. I'm having the same issue. My 2004 Subaru Forester window no longer works. I have no idea if it is the window motor or the regulator. It would work from time to time but sounded as if it was a slow, painful death. Now the motor doesn't make a sound and won't do a thing.

I was going to order a Cardone motor and regulator but not sure if I need both. Without tearing apart the window, does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
920 Posts
Hey all. I'm having the same issue. My 2004 Subaru Forester window no longer works. I have no idea if it is the window motor or the regulator. It would work from time to time but sounded as if it was a slow, painful death. Now the motor doesn't make a sound and won't do a thing.

I was going to order a Cardone motor and regulator but not sure if I need both. Without tearing apart the window, does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
Tear it apart and order proper parts...or order everything and pay restock fee (if any) on the parts you return.

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
86 Posts
See if you can get the regulator and motor assembly together and replace it all in one shot if you'd rather not take the door panel off to diagnose it.

·
Registered
2005 2.0 XT 4EAT
83 Posts
I had this happen twice to my 2.0XT - the second time I was there when the mechanic dismantled everything, and we found a small piece of white plastic insulation jammed in the motor which was stopping it from turning. Once that was removed everything was fine.

Having helped with the entire process I can say that it's not easy for one person to do - the glass is quite heavy and getting it aligned properly after doing the repair is critical, or you will have leaks.

·
Registered
2000 s mt
1,660 Posts
same problem. not to be a thread jack but i was wondering if anyone has tips for removing the side veiw mirror to remove the glass. those 3 screws wont budge and im afraid of stripping.

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
I haven't made a thread yet....but I just pulled the glass and regulators from my 98 SF's driver doors....both of them.

PM me if they'll work for you and you're interested. It was no fun getting them out without damage....but I didn't have to remove the side mirror mount.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
1 Posts
03 Forester - I replaced my front passenger side window motor without taking the window out nor mirror off. I used another's post to do the job which follows: "I just recently completed this task and it took a bit longer than I wanted. However, it is done, the re-manufactured motor is in and the window works and the OEM is headed back for a core charge rebate.

I did everything BUT remove the glass, though I did try that route for a while. I wanted to remove the motor and slider assembly, but the only way to do that is through the top of the door. This means removing the glass. That wasn't happening with the bolts and everything holding the glass to the slider. So, I went a different route.

With a screwdriver bit and a mirror, I removed the three screws that hold the motor to the assembly and popped it out through the speaker hole. I also loosened the 4 bolts that hold the assembly to the inner door skin in order to pry the motor from between the assembly and the door skin. You can't get the motor out without pushing the assembly towards the outer door skin, and this cannot be done without removing/loosening the 4 bolts that hold the assembly in place.

A bit of finagling with the new one, some bumping of the motor to get the gears to seat correctly and everything went back together perfectly.

This was after two days of removing bolts, nuts and other parts and trying to get the square pieces out of the round holes. Without removing the glass, there is just no easy way to remove the whole assembly. With the window pulled all the way up (which was something I could do by hand, not sure if others are similar) I had zero risk of the spring giving me any issues. It only helps pull the window up, so with the window up, the spring is not exerting any force on the assembly.

It took some extra time, but just removing the three screws and the 4 bolts that hold the assembly to the door skin proved the best route."

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R 5EAT
70 Posts
^ That does not sound like fun (nor something I want to do myself). I think the gear in my motor let go, because the motor spins fine but the window is not moving with it. I took off the door card to inspect and the rails are all still together and the window moves fine by hand. Looks like I'll be using the A/C a lot more this summer...

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
Luckily, my window was up when the motor failed. It's a bit of a hassle to get to it, but not that bad - I did not have to remove anything besides the door card, speaker and plastic sheeting (gooey adhesive is messy).
The worst thing was getting to the 3 Phillips head screws, that attach the motor itself, out. They required a mirror and a mini-ratchet w/#3 Phillips tip (or maybe a fat #2); I applied a lot of pressure to ensure the screw heads did not strip, it was dicey as they were stuck. I removed the 4 10mm hex head bolts to loosen the regulator enough to work the motor out; it was pretty easy.
On mine, the motor gasket failed - it had a "water line" that was heavily rusted at the bottom of the metal housing.
Although I got it working by cleaning it up with a wire brush, I do not trust it and I'll order a replacement. The passenger side failed too (probably same cause), so I'll just bite the bullet and get 2 motors.
Save the old motors - you will have to return them for a core charge refund.
I'm thinking of replacing the Phillips head screws with hex head screws for reassembly - sure would be a lot easier to get those hidden screws out.

·
Registered
*2* '04 XS, '07 X Sports 5-speed x2
16 Posts
I have the same problem - motor turning, gear not. Very easy to disassemble and rebuild the motor and gearing, only seven parts! It was a rusty mess in there...and most likely the star pattern in the middle of the metal disc is worn out/stripped. For me, I had this fully welded to the shaft (and didn't need the snap ring).

1) Pop round cap off of gear box. (Soak everything inside with your favorite penetrating juice!)
2) Remove (or break, as in my case) the snap ring.
3) Using two small screwdrivers and working from opposite sides, carefully pry up the metal disc out of the plastic gear. Another plastic piece and a rubbery piece may be stuck inside/under this. Carefully separate.
4) Take out the plastic (base) gear.
5) Remove motor cover (three small screws) and motor.

When reassembling, when welding the disc, make sure to clamp the disc down from both sides and be sure to seal the round cap's edge very well with permatex.

[To get to the motor, I removed the glass and the regulator...glass thru the top of the door and regulator thru the big access hole in the door. It seemed easier than everyone is making it out to be, but removing the motor from the regulator was tough at best, I used vice-grip pliers on the three screws to get them started after almost stripping them. Edit - finally, I got the motor back in and it works. But this time, I left the glass in the door, detached from the regulator. I pulled the glass all the way up in the door and wedged a bunch of cardboard in there to hold it up. This also saved me from pulling the mirror and the pain of the plastic slider piece coming off that sits in the black front track.]

·
Registered
1990 forester auto
18 Posts
My PS rear window clicked and isn't working..
Pulled the door skin but ran out of time to check power and ground in both directions..

2000 forester

has anyone used dorman or the CARDONE SELECT brands ? they have no core charge ?

2000 SUBARU FORESTER 2.5L H4 : Body-Interior : Power Window Motor Price Core Total
DORMAN Part # 742804 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers}
Front Left; Motor Only

$60.89 $0.00 $60.89

DORMAN Part # 742803 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers}
Front Right; Motor Only

$60.89 $0.00 $60.89

CARDONE SELECT Part # 824111
without Regulator; Front Left
without Regulator; Rear Left

$78.79 $0.00 $78.79

CARDONE SELECT Part # 824112
without Regulator; Front Right