Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our new '19 Forester Touring last week and happy so far, except for one thing.

There's an option on the settings to have the power driver's seat "retract on entry". There's not much description, but if it's similar to my Toyota Avalon, the seat should slide all the way back, and perhaps down as well to allow ease of entry and exit.

I've enabled it on the control screen, but it does nothing at all. The adjustments via the driver recognition work fine. But if my wife, who's a lot shorter than I, has been driving it's difficult for me to get in and seated.

Dealer's "technology guy" has no ideas yet and I'm hoping you folks will.

·
What?
7 Posts
I have tried to enable this and I don't think it is working..... will be taking it up with the service people in about 3 weeks......

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe that setting is working for me. When the driver recognition system identifies me it does adjust the seat forward just a bit, and I’m the only driver. I don’t think that it is adjusting it from the fully pushed back position, but perhaps from some middle setting? I don’t notice it happen all the time though, perhaps only after a certain amount of time the car has been off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, that is the seat system readjusting back to the setting you have set. The seat can slightly shift from the required setting and that is it just resetting itself back to what you want. The Seat retract should move the seat all the way back and down when the car door is opened and the seat unoccupied, then move to the required setting when the driver is recognised.

As (90% sure) it is a software issue, hoping Subaru release a fix in a S/W update soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same issue. However, I wonder if "seat back exit" is a missing feature. I didn't see anything in the manual about it - only seat moving to driver position on entry.
Maybe I missed it, or perhaps is it a "non" feature (exiting) on this car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@touring Yeah there is no seat back on exit advertised (IE. In Manual) but there is seat retract on entry. Just appears no-one told the software developers lol :laugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Picked up our new '19 Forester Touring last week and happy so far, except for one thing.

There's an option on the settings to have the power driver's seat "retract on entry". There's not much description, but if it's similar to my Toyota Avalon, the seat should slide all the way back, and perhaps down as well to allow ease of entry and exit.

I've enabled it on the control screen, but it does nothing at all. The adjustments via the driver recognition work fine. But if my wife, who's a lot shorter than I, has been driving it's difficult for me to get in and seated.

Dealer's "technology guy" has no ideas yet and I'm hoping you folks will.
I had the same issue. I tried two things, the first was the settings button (1 and 2) on the door. I reset 1 to me so before I get in I just push the button and the seat moves to my position. The second fix was to delete my seat setting from the menu and reinstall my setting. The vehicle now resets the seat to my position when I get in. I guess it remembers the last person to set up the seat memory. (page 219).

·
Registered
2 Posts
It does appear that this is a feature that has not been implemented in software. I have the same issue being 6'3 and my wife is 5'4. Makes for a tight squeeze while waiting to be recognized by the Driver Monitoring system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Work around is to use the primary key fob as the basis to retract the seat when you unlock the car. You do this by getting in car, put seat back to the farthest point that makes it easiest for you to enter car. Put car Parking break on, then hold the “set” seat button and the unlock button on the key fob. When you or your significant other gets out of car and locks it the seat doesn’t move, but when you unlock car via fob or door the seat will move backwards then reset to your preset when the face activation is finished.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have only on occasion had the seat move all the way back and down when i opened the door. I know it can, but generally refuses to do so.

Update:
To activate automatic seat retraction you must have locked the car.
I have 2 of them and I had to see how this works.
Works each time, unlock and open door.

·
Registered
62 Posts
same issue just picked up my white saddle brown interior touring today
ill try your suggestions as a work around i set the memory seat #1 to way back

its supposed to retract when existing...this locking and unlocking thing will try
thanks for the help

how do you tell the primary key fob??

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just to clarify the seat retracts upon ENTRY. Since Touring has driver recognition, I elect to not use the “set”buttons.

·
Registered
62 Posts
how does it work, i've tried the key fob for unlock but didn't retract. what am i not doing??
thanks for any help

my issue is a large discrepancy from my daughter 5' and me 6'

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am one foot taller than my wife.
I lock the door my touching the handle.
I put my hand in the handle to unlock. When I open the door the seat retracts. I do notice that when I have left the seat mostly back, there doesn’t appear to be much retract.
I have set the retract to yes in settings.
I have Touring models.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i did in that sequence and worked. my inlays toyota avalon retracts when door OPENS for exit.

fixed

lock and unlock using handle walked away
opened door bingo worked

also
changed positions of icons on home screen created shortcuts
customized the color secondary screen weather.......driver.......speed limit

nice to show speed limit between speedometer and tack and on secondary screen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does it retract to its most rearward position, or does it retract to about halfway of its possible length of travel?

I have found that it will only retract for my wife whose registered driving position is closer to the steering wheel than my registered driving position.

My driving position is at about the halfway point of total possible length of travel, so nothing happens when I re-enter.

Page 380 in the hardcover manual has only 2 bullet points under Automatically retract seat on entry.

The ONLINE owners manual ADDED 2 MORE bullet points, the last of which states This function will operate if the seat is in front of the center of the seat sliding mechanism.

So it will NOT retract to most rearward position, and this explains why my driving position at the halfway point does not retract on entry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The workaround is nice - but it's interesting too that the retract feature only works for seats that are more than half-way forward. That's a strange decision by Subaru and not really helpful when you're 6'3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up our 2019 Forester Touring model 2 weeks ago. We are having the same issue with the seat retract feature. It is a fact that you must lock and unlock the car for the retract feature to work at all and it only retracts the seat a few inches. Since I am 5'2" and my husband is 6', this is a bit of a problem. We took the car back to the dealership today because of this as well as the fact that our phone contacts will not download. The service guy tried to sell us on the workaround that some have mentioned. Of course, it can be done, but the bottom line is that the feature does not work as advertised. Subaru needs to step up and create a software update to correct the problem. I am going to stand my ground on this one and I hope that all of you will do the same.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts