Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just after 36 months the lock on the driver door is not always responding to the key fob. The other doors lock and unlock, and sometimes the driver door does, but often it will either not lock or not unlock. Works fine with key. Sounds like the the mechanism that operates the lock. Anyone have this experience? What am I likely facing?

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Does it work using the switch on the door? How about the switch on the passenger door? If not then maybe the solenoid gave up the ghost, or a loose wire connection to that door.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
186 Posts
My drivers door power lock actuator crapped out about 2 months before the warranty expired , so it was fortunately fixed under warranty.
The symptoms were similar to what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My drivers door power lock actuator crapped out about 2 months before the warranty expired , so it was fortunately fixed under warranty.
The symptoms were similar to what you are experiencing.
I suspect you are right. In answer to other questions, it is MY05, and it seems to work with the key in the door. There is no keyhole in the passenger door.[/I]

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
What I meant was, does the power lock work with the lock/unlock switch on the inside of both doors? That switch uses the same electromechanical mechanism that your fob activates so that'll let you know if it's a fob-related problem (doubtful) or simply something goofy with that particular solenoid assembly (what paulxt66 said).

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
If you're real nice, you might be able to get the dealer to do a good faith repair for you. But the sooner the better with that idea.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sport XT
1,130 Posts
One week out of warranty and Subaru will probably cover it, as long as you aren't way over the mileage limit. Do get it in to them ASAP though.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone. I believe it is the solenoid in the door, but it is inconsistent. Seems to be working now.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
186 Posts
Mine was inconsistent also and started working again the week I took it in to the dealer but they fixed it anyway.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
50 Posts
I'm experiencing the same exact symptoms. The driver door lock is not responding to the FOB. The power lock switch on the inside of the door is not effective either. I can manually lock/unlock the door from the inside and by sticking the key in the door. All other locks work just fine.

Any advice on pinpointing the problem?

I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to taking my car in for repairs. Is anyone familiar with what fixing it myself would involve? I can handle most basic repairs and maintainence, though I've never dismantled my door.

Car is an '06, 50k miles, out of warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine stopped working again and is still inconsistent occasionally working. I started to tear into it once but ran out of time and had to give up. I could tell the electrical signal was getting the solenoid as I heard a faint click. Seems like something is sticking or binding. Some lubrication may be all that is required but it is not easy to get to.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got all the way into it today. It is a dead acuator. Once you know how to do it, it is not too difficult to get out. Have to remove a black metal bar inside the door, nut and two bolts. Then remove the latch mechanism with the actuator attached. Removed the actuator and put it back together until I get a new acutator.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
Driver's Door Lock

I am having the same problem, all doors will lock/unlock with the keyless entry except the driver's door. I have to use the key to lock the door.
My 06 Forester is at 33 months except I have 41K miles. I stopped at the dealer today and got the "sorry, you're past the 36,000 miles" excuse. Anyway, he suggested contacting Subaru directly and perhaps they could authorize coverage. Any luck in this with Subaru of America?????

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
243 Posts
been going thru both passenger and drivers door lock actuators.more drivers side thou.one week out of warranty we would cover it.well let me say if you had maintance done to your car at the dealer it would be taken care of.

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
this sucks! i just barely hit 6K miles on my 06MY and have been out of warranty since last September. both front actuators went out within 1-2 weeks apart. ain't that a beach!

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Anyone have the repair page on how to replace the front door, lock actuator on an 06X?

Mine just died and I'm going to get the part Monday morning.

Thanks!

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
I just poked into this on AllData for my 2005 XT, and it's not too helpful. The instructions say:
1. Remove the front door latch assembly.
2. Loosen the two screws to remove front door lock actuator.

Install in the reverse order of removal.

When I did this in my SVX it wasn't very hard, but maybe someone else can chime in with more info.

Attachments

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Thanks. I looked at it this morning and I oiled it and played with a while and see that it gets power. It's trying to work but it's weak. It can open the door once, then you can only hear it trying again. It seems to have been getting weaker in the last month or so. I wonder if it's just dying a slow death.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts