Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2019 Touring appears to have two systems for recognizing drivers. One recognizes up to two drivers based on key fob or a button on the door and adjusts seats and mirrors. The other is camera based, supposed to recognize up to five drivers and set seats, mirrors, temperature, some display preferences and gas mileage for the specific driver. There is no indication that the two systems talk to one another. Seems like potential conflicts on the seats and mirrors. The camera system is also unreliable in my experience, failing to recognize me about 30-40% of the time. Often, if I just quickly open and close the door after it has failed to recognize me, it immediately recognizes me with no apparent scan time. Made me wonder if it was talking to the key fob. I have now set up two additional identities with their own baseline photo to see if it improves the odds of it recognizing me by one of them. Too early to tell if improvement, but it still misses me sometimes. When I open and close door, it often picks up the number 3 or 4 identity, so it must not be getting info from the fob. Manual says that if it fails to recognize you, you can go into the programming menu and tell it to do another scan. That is a lot of button pushing to get there. Not practical. There should be a single button push to tell it to do another scan or to just tell it who you are. For instance the two numbered buttons on the door could be tied to the first two drivers on camera system so that pushing one would tell the camera system who the driver is. Seems to me Subaru has some homework to do on this. Be nice if it would be possible to have a downloadable software upgrade to improve this.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
243 Posts
My Touring fails to recognize me about half the time. The display shows, “Welcome, [blank]” instead of my name. I’m the only one who drives the car, so this is not a huge issue with me. However, I’d expect the facial rec system to be more consistent.

It occurs to me that I may not be allowing the system enough time to recognize me. When I get into the car, I usually need to reach over my shoulder to get the seat belt buckle in hand, and I have to lean over to the right to do that. I wonder if I’m leaning out of the camera’s view? I’ll experiment a bit and see if sitting up straight for a moment remedies the issue.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I concur with Copwriter that part of the problem probably is that the scan attempt starts as soon as the door opens. It takes time for you get into the car, close the door and get the seat belt on, and by that time the scan is giving up. It seems to want you to jump in and sit there with the door open until it recognizes you, and then close the door and fasten your seat belt. That is not realistic. I have gotten tired of it not only not recognizing me but also nagging me that the driver is not registered because it did not recognize me.
Today I disabled the camera scan recognition system. I did NOT disable the key fob recognition system. That one seems to work.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
824 Posts
Overall, I’ve had good luck with the driver recognition system in my 2019 Touring...

However, there is one quirky thing that happens. Roughly 10% of the time, even though the vehicle successfully recognizes me, the head unit displays the “main menu” on startup, even though when the vehicle had the SiriusXM radio screen displayed when the vehicle was previously turned off. All other times, the screen displays the same thing on startup as it did the previous shutdown.

Anyone else seen this, or am I the only one experiencing this “feature “?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a worse problem. My system will recognize my wife about 80% of the time, but will NOT recognize me! I've been to the dealer twice about it and they can't figure out what's up... I think it has to do with the facial recognition model not being fully validated with real world driver faces... I'm hopeful Subaru will do a software update at some point.

·
Registered
2019 Shopping Foresters CVT
17 Posts
My husband alternates between glasses and contacts. He had to create 2 profiles because the system would not recognize him if he was not wearing glasses. It finds me about 80% of the time and when it doesn’t it’s usually because I was not looking straight forward.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
824 Posts
Subaru’s marketing information, along with subsequent 2019 Forester reviews give a general description of some of the items controlled by the driver recognition system... mirrors and seat preferences, a/c preferences, etc.

Has anyone seen, or better yet, does anyone have the complete list of every system under the driver recognition control, and the detailed control functions for each system?

If it’s in any of the Forester manuals, I’ve been unable to locate it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've given up. It only works 50% of the time for me. I also find myslef taking my eyes off the road more often then I otherwise would trying to figure out why it's beeping at me. Wish I didn't even have this option. I've disabled facial recognition as we just use the two memory buttons on the door, but now I'm forced to press the button disabling the eyes on the road part every single [email protected]$!# time I use the vehicle. I so want this option totally removed entirely..

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
824 Posts
I've given up. It only works 50% of the time for me. I also find myslef taking my eyes off the road more often then I otherwise would trying to figure out why it's beeping at me. Wish I didn't even have this option. I've disabled facial recognition as we just use the two memory buttons on the door, but now I'm forced to press the button disabling the eyes on the road part every single [email protected]$!# time I use the vehicle. I so want this option totally removed entirely..
Strange you have so many issues, or maybe it’s strange I don’t...

The only time I have recognition problems is when I’m facing really bright sunlight, like early morning on a cloudless bright day. I wear a hat religiously, and all different types... fedoras, flat hats, ball caps, etc., and it doesn’t seem to have any negative effect. Even with this scenario, it’s somewhat rare when I’m not correctly identified.

I guess it could be I just have an easily recognizable face. All I can say is that mine works extremely well for both me and my wife. It might be interesting to go by the dealership and run a few tests on a similar vehicle and compare them to how yours acts, and run the tests in both vehicles under the exact same conditions (both vehicles oriented the same way, on the same day). Possibly there’s a malfunctioning camera in your vehicle.

Might be worth a shot...

Note to self: Avoid robbing banks, as I may be easily identified.

·
Registered
2019 Touring (On Order)
22 Posts
I picked up my 2019 Touring a week ago Sunday and love it! However, when sitting with the salesman to go over the car I set my seat initially too far back. I know how to set the seat based on keyfob/pre-set on the door, but with the identification system it keeps putting the seat back to where I don't want it.

Anyone know how to resolve this? I've started to dig through the manuals without much success.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
8 Posts
You need to get to the Driver recognition menu and reset the seat memory there. I believe it is called Update driver or something similar.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
2 Posts
This is what I have discovered about the Driver Recognition System. My husband and I were also not being able to use this system consistently after the initial set up. We had frequently turned off the Eye Sight Camera that gives the reminders to "Keep your eyes on the road". When the car it turned off the camera stays in the "Off" Setting. When we activated the camera, the recognition settings were once again activated for the driver. The trick is to be sure that the camera is set to "ON" with the green icon showing when the car is turned off. The car door must be opened and closed to reactivate the seat and mirror settings if you are already in the car. Hopefully, this will help to see how easy it is to deactivate the camera so that the User Recognition features will not work. Also, the ability to edit setting and add users is only available when the EyeSight camera is on. Thank you to Darla at Tucson Subaru for helping us to sort this out.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
2 Posts
I believe that on my previous post that I referred to turning off the EyeSite Camera. I should have said the cameras that are associated with the Driver Recognition System. They are controlled on the dash below and left of the steering wheel. The icon the screen should be Green for the Driver Recognition System to work properly.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring paddled CVT
88 Posts
someone suggest to me that the average MPG reading on the Info display (above the head unit) is tied to the active driver profile, i.e., the mileage average for that driver and it doesn't reset when either trip odometer is reset. In other words, the average for the life of that driver and not resettable unless you delete/recreate the profile. If this is true, it seems like a strange design.

·
Registered
2019 Forester CVT w/paddle shifters
26 Posts
It is true. If the driver recognition system doesn't recognize you then it displays Trip A or Trip B average MPG, whichever you have selected. I like the idea of it keeping track of my overall average.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
180 Posts
someone suggest to me that the average MPG reading on the Info display (above the head unit) is tied to the active driver profile, i.e., the mileage average for that driver and it doesn't reset when either trip odometer is reset. In other words, the average for the life of that driver and not resettable unless you delete/recreate the profile. If this is true, it seems like a strange design.
i like it, i can see how my average MPG different from my wife

Trip B not reset from factory
Trip A i reset every time of the full fill up

1 - 20 of 28 Posts