Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this isn't really a big accident or anything but i was stupid and turned to late into a parking spot and curbed my front tire fierce enough to filet a 2 inch long 2/10 inch stip off my tire sidewall and compress the tire...probably almost to the rim. [Got some scrapes on me rim]. Question: Is my tire in danger of failure with this amount of damage? the wheel isn't out of balance or anything.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
82 Posts
The integrity of the sidewall would be compromised with any damage like that. The only question is how long until something may or may not happen. How hard you drive the foz while cornering would be the greatest factor. As long as you don't push it too hard you may never see any issues for the remaining life of the tire. Or you could be driving through a parking lot tomorrow at 5 mph and have it drop flat on you.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
next move

So question 2. how bad is it going to be replacing the one front tire if these tires have about 70-80% of their tread. I figure the front would be the place to put it because of the open diff. is that going to jank up my diff?

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
If you can, find a way to get your new tire shaved to the same amount of tread as the old ones. If not, replace both of the front tires, and move them to the back.

Of course... there are many people who have not obeyed those rules due to lack of cash (could only replace one, and there was no place to shave) that have not have had issues. My parents have had a mismatched tire on their Foz for some 50k miles now, and no diff issues. The tread difference is about 30%. I personally, would not risk that though, just because I'm anal. Your tire def needs to be replaced though, IMO. Sidewalls are the stress bearing area of the tire. Sidewall failure is not fun.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had a chat with the tirerack, they suggested I have the tire looked at professionally. He said that minor sidewall damage does not usually require replacement. I have to pick up some new swaybar end links at the stealership tonight, i will have their guys look at it and let me know what they think. FYI - they also offer a shave [and haircut] for $35. So with shipping, shave, and new tire...figure about $150. That sucks, but not as much as flipping over a lot at high speeds. I kind of push my tires, so that might be the option i take regardless of what the dealership says.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
^Sounds like a plan!

I had a sidewall fail due to a mfg defect on one of my Potenzas a long time ago, at 75mph on the Ohio turn pike. It wasn't really fun. :lol:

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
574 Posts
The piece of mind that getting a replacement will give you is probably easily worth $150.00 I think if it were me I'd go that rout. Safety is never worth compromising, especially if others ride with you. Just go with your gut on this one and do what feels right.

Kenny

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Any time we've got sidewall damage beyond minor scuffs we replace them in the insurance biz. If you've got a chunk of rubber missing I'd never let that stay on the car.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
74 Posts
Replace it- cheaper than risking your rim! My Forester handled strangely when I had one oddball tire, but I account that to tread differences as much as size differences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts