Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All-

If the airbag in my 2010 2.5L Forester deploys, and the car is not otherwise damaged too bad, is it POSSIBLE to drive it away?

EXAMPLE: I am in the deep woods on a logging trail, hit a downed tree and the front airbags deploy, but have little damage to the car. Cell phone does not work up there, and miles from a paved road. Is the car able to be driven to civilization with deployed airbags? Does the fuel feed cut off or anything like that?

I know that usually an airbag deployment involves a bad crash, and I also know I shouldn't drive it any further than I need to to get to safety. I am looking at a pure scenario here to learn if the vehicle CAN be driven.

Thanks!

Bob
2010 Forester 2.5 L

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
The fuel supply is generally cut off when the airbags deploy, but from prior knowledge (98 forester) putting the car back in park and cycling the key off then back on and it will start and drive. I'm not aware of any changes that would permanently cut off fuel and not be reset by cycling the key.

As far as dangers... the only one I can think of is that you no longer have an airbag! Or that there is a large bag hanging from the steering wheel that might get in your way. You would want to be very sure that no suspension/engine components are broken/leaking before your drive.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto -> STI
96 Posts
You "should" be fine after it has already deployed. The same bag will not go off twice. But i just dealt with a car where while in repairs and the steering wheel had deployed the roof went of on a tech while working on the car, was pretty crazy!

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
I have restarted a car after the front airbags deployed (*) and limped it to the side of the road. Lots of smoke an airbag dust in the car though! Visibility was poor.

* - BMW turns left through a red light and attempts to cross my path as I'm going through the intersection. Neither one of us made it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Being that i work in collision i start and drive cars daily with blown airbags.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
Yeah, from what I understand when I worked at a Porsche/Audi/VW/Jeep dealership for a few years in college...

And from what I think is in the OM....

Airbags deploy in the 12-18mph zone at the min....above 18 they will always deploy [unless defective, but that is nearly impossible]. If a collision occurs in the 12-18mph zone and the airbag does NOT go off, you are supposed to see the dealership or collision repair shop to have the airbag replaced as it could have been defective...it is unknown. We would get one like that every two months or so....and about once a year we would have a pile of about 4-6 that had been replaced but not deployed. So, we would go out back with about a 20ft speaker wire and a 9V battery and set them off. Seriously, they are violent. Like a bomb. You could FEEL it very well from 20ft away.

My wife loves to sit practically resting on the steering wheel...I have battled with her for years about getting her to move back...as being to close they can kill you. I have been able to slowly move her back.

Sorry, back on topic.

I agree, you can drive after a deployment of the airbags. We had to drive them into the shop for repair with them deployed and deflated. They are designed to quickly deflate so you CAN drive immediately afterwards to avoid further harm/damage/a cliff/a river. Some airbags, not ours, are dual-stage so it will "pop" twice...one for each collision if you hit a car and then a wall for example.

As long as the car is mechanically sound, you can definitely drive it afterwards...mind the airbag "dust" as it is toxic, I would let the car air out as much as possible, while you do a drivetrain/mechanical/suspension/etc check before driving off.

As for the fuel cut-off, that could definitely happen. Happened in a Mustang I totaled a long time ago...I rear-ended someone so all front end damage. Well, we towed it home, fixed the front end and all the broken parts....but the car would not start...the engine would turn over, but not catch. Turns out, there was a fuel pump cut-off in case you do get in an accident, and a fuel line is severed, that the pump does not keep pumping fuel out. It was like a string with a T-handle on it IIRC....might have to call the dealership or google it up.

Have fun out there!

·
Registered
96 Posts
for is of the few with the fuel cutoff. the bags dont deploy 2 different times they deploy at different rates depending on collision. and yes if your subi is after 2005 you prob have 2 stage airbags.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
for is of the few with the fuel cutoff. the bags dont deploy 2 different times they deploy at different rates depending on collision. and yes if your subi is after 2005 you prob have 2 stage airbags.
Right, dang it, I forgot about that....when they first came out, that is what I thought they did, then forgot it was that they can deploy at different forces:

i.e.: Stage 1 = 1X power
Stage 2 = 2X power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts