Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I installed the Draw-Tite hitch purchased from eTrailers last weekend. Overall, it wasn't too bad of an install, took a few hours with some assistance. I went with it because of the lower cost as well as easier installation.

I also installed the wiring harness, ran it through one of the grommets in the spare tire well, and dressed it up with some 3/8" corrugated tubing.

My impression is the kit is overall pretty good. One gripe I had is that the end piece on the receiver is welded slightly crooked, and the bolt holes weren't exactly perfect for getting the M6 bolts back in on the driver's side.

Here are some pictures of what the install looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought my Draw-Tite from etrailer.com. Mine appeared to be fully in alignment during installation. I did notice a couple of chips and scuffs in the paint, most likely due to shipping, but they're not visible after the install. Overall, I'm really happy with the hitch and the cost.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i read a lot of comments online about mixing diesel fuel/used engine oil together and 'paint' the hitch every year to keep rust at away..

Brian

·
Registered
152 Posts
@thatguy2
That suggestion is a new one for me. I don't have much use for diesel otherwise so I'm not likely to try it myself. All I've ever used is CRC Rubberized Undercoating, available in a spray can. Typically I just apply it where needed, when the original paint gets blasted enough from debris.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’ve installed the same hitch on my 19 Premium.

I had the Curt hitch on my 13 XV and it worked really well The DrawTite hitch for the Forester was a bit less expensive from eTrailer and the j-pin compatibility was a must. We use a cargo carrier that rattles and moves around, so I was looking to improve that.
The hitch arrived really banged up from shipping. eTrailer sent a replacement out next-day.

Install took 3 hours. No issues. Wiring harness was a simple addition. I’m yet to use the hitch, but I expect no issues.

My only complaint: the receiver is open on the back. I opted to put a protective rubber cover over the opening on the back, but being open though-and-through causes the cover to just collect the road debris inside the receiver opening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any suggestions on which to purchase either the DrawTite or Curt hitch from online in Canada with reasonable shipping fees? (also for 2019)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Any suggestions on which to purchase either the DrawTite or Curt hitch from online in Canada with reasonable shipping fees? (also for 2019)
For the 2019, I feel the Draw-Tite has an easier install procedure since no modification to holes in the body are required; the Curt requires 2 holes be slotted. It looks like etrailer.com ships to Canada so it might be worth checking them out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do what I did.
Order from etrailer.com in the US.
They will free ship to one of the border parcel services in Pembina ND.
Make the short trip to the border and save yourself a lot of money on shipping.
Because the hitch only sells for just over $100 US, Canada Customs will most likely wave you right through with no taxes payable.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hello everyone, I installed the Draw-Tite hitch purchased from eTrailers last weekend. Overall, it wasn't too bad of an install, took a few hours with some assistance. I went with it because of the lower cost as well as easier installation.

I also installed the wiring harness, ran it through one of the grommets in the spare tire well, and dressed it up with some 3/8" corrugated tubing.

My impression is the kit is overall pretty good. One gripe I had is that the end piece on the receiver is welded slightly crooked, and the bolt holes weren't exactly perfect for getting the M6 bolts back in on the driver's side.

Here are some pictures of what the install looks like.
The rear-end of the black Touring actually looks half way decent. That's probably why I'm drawn to the Sport trim. The band between the tail lights is blacked out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had some concerns about potential warranty issues, but in the end wound up going with the Draw-tite Class III hitch sourced from eTrailers.com as well. A local shop mounted it for me, so no experience there. I am only planning to use it for a bike rack and to lower risks of a warranty claim issue on any possible powertrain problem later, I didn't get the wiring harness. It looks okay, and so far it's been pretty uneventful in bike hauling, which I suppose is a good thing - the hitch that you don't think about is a good hitch, I suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts