Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

I am draining out my Dexron D6 ATF from my 4EAT. The experiment failed. The transmission did not like it and it was too slippery resulting in randmom slippage when taking off from a light at light throttle.

I went and got some Idemitsu ATF HP, drained and refilled with 4 quarts. All problems have stopped already!

It looks like I'd be best served by driving a certain amount of time in each gear manually before making a change.

However, if I am just going to drive it normally (leaving it in Drive) (most of the trip is on the highway but traffic can be extreme at times even on the highway), I was wondering how many miles you'd go between changes.

Obviously, I want the minimum time in between since the D6 was not doing it any good!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 SF5 Automatic
446 Posts
I just change my ATF together with the engine oil every 8,000 km (5000 mi).

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester
50 Posts
Sounds like he's trying to do as complete a fluid refresh as he can.

I'd be curious to hear what others have to say about it, too. When I buy a new used Forester, I always do at least 3 drain and fills, and I usually only drive 10 to 15 miles between them - all in the same afternoon. But I've seen other forums where people suggest minimum intervals of as much as 1000 miles between drain and fills, which to me seems unnecessary. Since I'm doing a D&F on our new car tomorrow, it seems like a good time to eavesdrop on this thread and get some other opinions.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,851 Posts
The Subaru technical service manual say "Raise the ATF temperature by driving a distance of 5 to 10 km (3 to 6 miles)" before checking the ATF level. Perhaps that's enough to circulate the ATP for a drain & refill regiment to purge the system of that Dexron D6 ATF? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
1,065 Posts
I just went through this with my 05 XT trying to solve a center diff binding issue, only i didn't follow any set schedule on the interval between drain and refills. I'd say it was probably 1000 miles each time. I drained and refilled 3 times. The transmission/diff is now working perfectly and has been for maybe 1k miles since the 3rd change. I was skeptical the 3rd change would make a difference, but it really did clear up the last bit of issues I was having. I'm using some run-of-the-mill compatible ATF, nothing special.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
I'd agree that driving far enough to warm the fluid is wise. I still believe a little bit in the idea that warm oil picks up some contaminants and crud that might be settling out during cooling. May as well get as much of that out with each drain and fill as possible.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,900 Posts
My 2001 get's a drain and refill after about 30,000 miles or if I just towed a trailer. And I use Mobil 1 Dexron II ATF, nothing special.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts