Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a free drag class at Gateway Raceway in St.Louis. Tonight was the second time I have been to the drag strip. We were practicing staging, reaction and 60' times.
The first couple of runs I had 60' times in the 2.45 range. I had a best of 2.03 the fist time to the drag strip so I was very disapointed. The second run I had a .006 reaction time. The workers and instructor were all giving me thumbs up as I drove back on the other side of the track. I new that I had a 2.41 times and couldn't appreciate my reaction time. I thought since my 60' times were so bad I would consentrate on that third yellow light and try to have good reaction times. My next run was a red light by.185 wjth a 2.3 60'. I was happy with this and thought I'll try and do every thing the same. :biggrin:Red light by .084 and 60' in 2.05.WHOOHOO:woohoo::woohoo::bananapartyhat::rock::bacon:
So happy with that 60' time I was determinned to be carefull of the thired light. and not jump the gun. Still excited I reved to 2500 rpms. The tree starts YELLOW, YELLOW, YELLOW, RED LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I jumped the gun buy .06 seconds and Had by far the fastest 60' time of any street driiven car there at 1.96 sec. :biggrin: "Ironic"

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
What tires and clutch are you on? What's limiting your 60' time at this point? Is the engine bogging or are you spinning the fronts, or smoking the clutch?

As long as the fronts aren't spinning, you can nail 1.8's on a stock clutch, but it's all that she has to give.

Good job and glad you're having fun messing with it.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
2500 RPM doesn't sound like enough to break the 1.9 barrier. I'd use more revs!

I used to launch my old Legacy at 5300RPM. It wen't like stink.

Sounds like you had fun! Keep it up! Practice makes perfect!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have Bridgestone 760 sport tires and the stock clutch. Yes I was bogging the first few runs and didn't luanch it at all. I just dumpped the clutch and floored the excelerator. To be honest I am not sure what I did on the thired run. It was the fourth run I decided to try and launch it. I know 2500 is low but I am parinoid about my trans. Oh and I had massive front tire spin on the last run. What is a good shift point for a forester? My HP peaks at about 5500 rpm.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Shift whenever gear ratios drop you right onto your peak torque.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 speed
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2500 RPM doesn't sound like enough to break the 1.9 barrier. I'd use more revs!

I used to launch my old Legacy at 5300RPM. It wen't like stink.

Sounds like you had fun! Keep it up! Practice makes perfect!
Well I tried a couple more launches from 2500. you were right I just bogged. Guess I got excited and pressed the excelerator before letting off the clutch :huh: Hell who knows what I did.:shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts