Dr.ColorChip

8K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Jman 
#1 ·
Anyone used this product before?
Does it really work?
Is it easy to use?

I have some chip that needs attention.

#8 ·
I just ordered a kit from them in JB. I've heard from other sources that it's a high quality paint and dries very quickly. The kit comes with a proprietary blending solution that provides very good results. I'm curious to see how it goes. I'll take pics to post the before and after.

#10 ·
I've looked at the product and am confident that it works as advertised, certainly much better than using a AAA-sized sable brush OR the old torn matchbook trick BUT, with all of the chips in my 03's paint, it's pointless and prohibitively expensive so I'll just have to blur my vision when I look at my car.

Steve

#14 ·
Okay, call me indecisive. I also just ordered the "road rash" kit as I changed my mind after visiting the Colorchip site.

As soon as it warms up a bit up here, I'll clean the car up and try the ColorChip on the front of my 2003 X..........the entire front trim panel (around the grill and headlamps) is really blasted from my years of driving in NJ. Up here, the roads are in far better shape and the amount of grit is much less so any repairs I do should stay in place. It would have been pointless if we still lived down in NJ.

Pictures to come.........I am so darned neurotic about my car, even though it's now officially an old car.......this Spring, I'll be finally adding the "new" XS seat covers, the front Importology lip and the all-important Spring wax job...........

Please, no "I told you so" remarks.

Steve

#19 ·
Skull, let us know what happens! I received my road rash kit but have heldoff until the weather gets consistently warmer up here in New England.

My Forrie is the dark green (Woodland Pearl Green) so it's rather hard tell how good the touchup paint will match.

Concerned about yours, though. The match should be perfect....else what are we paying for? What color is your car?

Steve

#20 ·
My car is metallic grey. I would have probably liked another color but there seems to be only this color around here! loll

Well I don't know if the match is perfect because when I removed the excess product it removed it all. Like I said I will try again maybe later today.

On a side note I spilled some paint on my hand and my work pants. It did look like my paint color! :icon_wink:

#21 ·
Ihave used it on one of my other vehicles. It does work as advertised. My words of advice, spend about 20 minutes stirring the paint prior to using. From my experience, it was not blended very well from the factory. Moreover, even after stirring the paint color was not quite that match of the factory touch up paint. However, the vehicle I used this on was called kiwi green metallic, so it was not a very "stock" color, and that said the paint was a very, very close match. A passerby on the street wouldn't have been able to spot it.
Finally, if your chip is on a bend, a crease, a fold or any surface that is not flat, it makes it a little more difficult to use this product because of the smearing and blending that is necessary. Hope this helps

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.