Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,007 Posts
Is it resistant? Doen't seems to be any clear laquer/sealant with the kit.
Resistant to what? There is nothing to the kit but the paint. It is a scratch and chip touch-up paint applied by smearing over the damage and wiping off. Then the area is polished with any paste wax to smooth the edges of the scratches and remove any smeared paint.
I have never considered clear-spraying over the paint from a touch-up stick, and this paint is the same thing. Spraying might make a mess, make the area more noticeable.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resistant to what? There is nothing to the kit but the paint. It is a scratch and chip touch-up paint applied by smearing over the damage and wiping off. Then the area is polished with any paste wax to smooth the edges of the scratches and remove any smeared paint.
I have never considered clear-spraying over the paint from a touch-up stick, and this paint is the same thing. Spraying might make a mess, make the area more noticeable.[/QUOTE

I was talking about resistant to the environment. Like in 6 month will I have to do the process again? Your opinion seems to be that it is resistant.
Thank you for your info. I guess I will try the product.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never considered clear-spraying over the paint from a touch-up stick, and this paint is the same thing. Spraying might make a mess, make the area more noticeable.
I was talking about resistant to the environment. Like in 6 month will I have to do the process again? Your opinion seems to be that it is resistant.
Thank you for your info. I guess I will try the product.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Hey Vintage, got any pics of that? Curious to see if it looks as good as they advertise. If not, no worries.

·
Registered
2004 FXT Premium
55 Posts
I just ordered a kit from them in JB. I've heard from other sources that it's a high quality paint and dries very quickly. The kit comes with a proprietary blending solution that provides very good results. I'm curious to see how it goes. I'll take pics to post the before and after.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,989 Posts
I've looked at the product and am confident that it works as advertised, certainly much better than using a AAA-sized sable brush OR the old torn matchbook trick BUT, with all of the chips in my 03's paint, it's pointless and prohibitively expensive so I'll just have to blur my vision when I look at my car.

Steve

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered the ColorChip yesterday. I will try to post before and after picture. My FXT is metallic grey. Not sure the chip will show up well on photo.
Anyway I will try once I’ve done it!

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,989 Posts
Okay, call me indecisive. I also just ordered the "road rash" kit as I changed my mind after visiting the Colorchip site.

As soon as it warms up a bit up here, I'll clean the car up and try the ColorChip on the front of my 2003 X..........the entire front trim panel (around the grill and headlamps) is really blasted from my years of driving in NJ. Up here, the roads are in far better shape and the amount of grit is much less so any repairs I do should stay in place. It would have been pointless if we still lived down in NJ.

Pictures to come.........I am so darned neurotic about my car, even though it's now officially an old car.......this Spring, I'll be finally adding the "new" XS seat covers, the front Importology lip and the all-important Spring wax job...........

Please, no "I told you so" remarks.

Steve

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just receive my ColorChip order. The paint seems to be a lot darker then mine.
I guess I'll try it in a small spot first. Il'l probably try it this weekend!

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,989 Posts
Skull, let us know what happens! I received my road rash kit but have heldoff until the weather gets consistently warmer up here in New England.

My Forrie is the dark green (Woodland Pearl Green) so it's rather hard tell how good the touchup paint will match.

Concerned about yours, though. The match should be perfect....else what are we paying for? What color is your car?

Steve

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Skull, let us know what happens! I received my road rash kit but have heldoff until the weather gets consistently warmer up here in New England.

My Forrie is the dark green (Woodland Pearl Green) so it's rather hard tell how good the touchup paint will match.

Concerned about yours, though. The match should be perfect....else what are we paying for? What color is your car?

Steve
My car is metallic grey. I would have probably liked another color but there seems to be only this color around here! loll

Well I don't know if the match is perfect because when I removed the excess product it removed it all. Like I said I will try again maybe later today.

On a side note I spilled some paint on my hand and my work pants. It did look like my paint color! :icon_wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts