STi Rear Strut Mounts

Brakes:
H6 Rear Upgrade
Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided Lines
Speedbleeders

Exterior:
Debadged
VHT Nightshades on the tail lights
Moore Performance Carbon Fiber Scoobies for Boobies front plate delete.
Plasti-dipped grille.
JDM Hoodscoop
Black c pillars and rear sill plate
Tinted Windows

Interior:
OEM Boost Gauge

Table Of Contents
Back Story
Thank You's
Goings On / Parts Shelf / Future Plans

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Back story

Back story

Some of you may have an idea of what I went through to get this my 2nd Suby into the garage. If you don't know, here are a couple threads documenting the process.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f73/any-members-near-townsend-de-asking-help-103192/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/replacing-turbo-what-else-103678/

So long story short, I was driving my wife's 1999 Saturn SL2 daily to save on gas. Driving about 100 miles a day can be expensive. She was driving the black 04 XS. So one early morning a deer decides he would rather be on the other side of the road, crossing in front of me. Needless to say deer + Saturn = problems. We didn't have comprehensive on the Saturn so its all out of pocket (lesson learned). We decided to just get another car instead of fixing the Saturn up. So the search began for a new Suby. After a couple weeks I found the red XT. Needed a little work but the price was right, cheap. After a lot of emailing, texting, phone calls, forum discussion, more emailing, and phone calls the deal was done. It took a couple weeks but I am the proud owner of a new to me XT.

Going through the process of buying a car from over 600 miles away is a very painstaking process. It does take a lot of work on both the buyer and seller's ends. I wouldn't recommend buying a car you know nothing about this way, but I consider myself an enthusiast and have been researching the XT models for about a year, looking to buy one when the time came. So I was ahead of the game in that aspect. I was able to get everything worked out with the bank and told the dealership to go on with the sale and I would set up the shipping. I used Kensington Auto Transport Kensington Auto Transport. Their rates were some of the best and their customer service was very good.

Upon receival of the car I gave it a good once over. It is definitely dinged up and has been used very well. Its a bit rougher than I had hoped but no worse than I expected. I am by no means complaining about the shape its in, as it was a great deal. It wasn't at the house for more than 15 minutes and I had the hood up and started removing parts to get the turbo swapped out.

My old member journal can be found here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/dpkilty-04-xs-journal-79239/
I will still update it as I do small projects and replace parts. This has become the wife's car and she is looking forward to "making it her own" so there will still be a few mods to be done here.

tl:dr
Hit deer with wife's car, found XT in Delaware with bad turbo for cheap. Purchased & shipped to me. Its a bit rough but all in all was a good deal for the price paid.

The Long Road to Recovery

Its the little things that count, and when your working on a car little things add up. Here is a list of things done.
  • Forester XT Used $4300
  • Shipping from Delaware $550
  • Used TD04 $40
  • Used Up Pipe $40
  • Resistors for Resistor Mod $3
  • Misc Gaskets, hoses, nuts, bolts, washers etc $120
  • Rear Trim Piece $25
  • Thermostat w/Gasket $13
  • Adjusted hood latch $0
  • Air & Oil Filters $15
  • 1 Gallon of Extra S $40
  • Spark Plugs $35
Current running total ..... Unknown after the motor rebuild...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank You's

Thank You's

I wanted to have a "Thank You" section to show that this is not just a one person thing and that a lot of people have already helped me out a lot. This wouldn't have been possible without everyone's help and input. These are in no particular order (other than the first one)

First off to my loving wife Jessica, who put's up with me and all my craziness.
All the members on SF.org for making it such a great site. (I could list a ton of screen names here but won't because I don't want to type them all out or forget anybody)
All the members on IIC for making it such a great site. (I could list a ton of screen names here but won't because I don't want to type them all out or forget anybody)
Brian (tuned200), Pam (Pam Cakes), Remington (duderotomy), and yeah even Brittany (Mrs. Duderotomy) for their friendship, advice, and generally being good peeps.
Ben (Gizzmo) for being an awesome parts guy, his oontz, and the beard.
Tom Wood Subaru as a whole for their support of the community.
(Nomadmedic) for taking his time and looking into the Forester for me.
Andy (brum) for the turbo, and being a good guy.
Nate (1986944t) for the Up Pipe, all the hard work helping turn wrenches, and being a good guy.
All the OG's from the 1st Deals Gap Meet. Friendships were made, good times were had.
(Smitch) for all his advice, help, and inspiration.
(flat4LGT) for the advice and info shared.
All the autox guys on IIC for sharing your expertise, opinions, and helping out.
All the autox guys on SF.org for sharing your expertise, opinions, and helping out.
(projectwrx, s2k, projectveedub, skrotor, gaybot, mymomputsout, projectlgt) whatever your screen name is this week, thanks for the wealth of information you share.
My brother for his help wrenching and welding.
(Iceman13) for the rear trim piece.
James (Hardrvin) for the advice, help, and general awesomeness.
Ben (ride4life32) for the turbo bracket, also a good guy.
Stuart (smurfblue) for the parts, help, info, and being a good guy.
Jason (sky-blue) for the parts, help, info, and being a good guy.
Vito, Ryan (noone1569) for help with the XT
Brandon (2001legacyGT) for the help with the XT
Jeremy (xxjslothxx) For the supercool artsy pics.
Meaty for the TB and info
Craig (Mechie3) For the help, info, and more help. You's a good dude too.
Mattinlafayette (Matt) For the TBE. Another good guy to be around here....
Kai (splatsti) for the boost gauge. Awesome guy as well.

I know I have left many people out and I apologize for that. If your not on the list then don't feel bad, it's not like I didn't appreciate you any less.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Goings On / Parts Shelf / Future Plans....

Goings On / Parts Shelf / Future Plans....
I'll try to keep this post updated as I usually work on 2 or 3 projects at a time. This way I can try to keep people updated as to whats going on.

Current Goings On:
1. Stage 2 on the way...

Parts Shelf:
These are the parts I have amassed/horded and will be installing when time/weather/budget permits.
1. Turbo XS DP, Midpipe
2. Samco Turbo Inlet

Future Plans:
Just some ideas I have floating around in the old noggin.
1. Clean up / Buff out the paint
2. Mad Scientist doing it Gundam Style?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can not wait to see this in person! Such a deal for a nice looking Foz!
Its a bit rough around the edges, but I hope I can get a little bit of that taken care of this spring. But yeah it was a deal for sure.

This looks like a great start to what will be an epic journal thread. Bring on the mods!
Thanks, already need to post up some pics...

Hopefully the boost bug does not bite Dan too hard! :biggrin:
Already lurking FS threads for a VF...:shake: Its sad because I haven't even driven this thing in boost yet!

Doubtful!
The short ride at the Subaru Challenge in the Goose was all it took for me to be hooked on boost.

UPDATE 12/5/11
Thanks, still doing the swap. Took my time inspecting things, figuring stuff out, and being super careful not to break anything else.

Just a note to anyone even remotely thinking about picking up a car from out of the northeast... Expect to replace a lot of bolts. about half of the ones on the heat shields don't even resemble bolts anymore
I pretty much new things like that were to be expected, but it even surprised me at how bad it was.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah there are a couple hard lines under the car that will be getting replaced soon. I am going to try some of the rust converter stuff for a few spots on the oil pan. I would rather not have to replace that just yet.
Its funny, the bolts I thought would be the worst (turbo bolts) were the easiest. All the other exhaust bolts were terrible.
The rubber hoses were all pretty hard as well, seems like anything that should have been easy was 10x harder than it should have been, and the difficult stuff wasn't so bad.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT LTD 4EAT
388 Posts
Congrats on getting the car Dan. Hope it all works out great, and if you get that boost bug, I currently have my TD04 at 18#'s :rock: with all the supporting mods and she is a whole lot of fun for a daily driver. Should be able to hold you over for a little while :icon_wink:.

You make a page days after getting the car and I have been on here for over a year with out one. I need to get on it.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,333 Posts
Yeah there are a couple hard lines under the car that will be getting replaced soon. I am going to try some of the rust converter stuff for a few spots on the oil pan. I would rather not have to replace that just yet.
Its funny, the bolts I thought would be the worst (turbo bolts) were the easiest. All the other exhaust bolts were terrible.
The rubber hoses were all pretty hard as well, seems like anything that should have been easy was 10x harder than it should have been, and the difficult stuff wasn't so bad.
Wait until you start the suspension. :chair:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait until you start the suspension. :chair:
Funny thing is, it doesn't look too bad. At least all those bolts have flats on them :lol:

BTW When that time comes, I am going to your place to do it. It would take me a good 3 or 4 hours at least, pretty sure it takes you 30 to 40 minutes.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,333 Posts
Funny thing is, it doesn't look too bad. At least all those bolts have flats on them :lol:

BTW When that time comes, I am going to your place to do it. It would take me a good 3 or 4 hours at least, pretty sure it takes you 30 to 40 minutes.
As I have learned as it seems you have as well, expect the unexpected. Pam says their is real time and Brian time. Plan on 2x longer for Brian time just in case. Having air tools and a garage is also a huge plus. If you are talking just swapping struts and springs then it should be easy. If its full blown bushings expect to cut the heck out of bolts as I promise they will be seized! :mob:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I won't be doing bushings anytime real soon. Most likely will take it to TIC for all that. I fought those things on the 95 Saturn.... Never again will I go that far unless its a full blown restoration.

I have some air tools, I just don't ever use them for some reason. My problem is I can't find the one socket or wrench I need at the time. I bet I spent 3 hours looking for tools this weekend. I really need to organize the garage :lol:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The bad TD04

So here are a few pics of the bad TD04 I am replacing.

Notice the oil in the housing.

Once I pulled the downpipe this is what I saw...

Pic looking into the downpipe...

Here is a video of the car running before I purchased it. Taken just a week or so before these pictures.

1 - 20 of 239 Posts