Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
dpkilty '04 XS Journal...Now with 100% more Wife...

This is being daily driven by my wife now since I now own an XT. I will still update things as they get done though.

Now will be known as "The Bandit"

Plans
In no particular order:

1 Window Tint :cool:
2 Remote Start :cool: DONE! 3/20/11
3 Exhaust :cool: DONE... For Now

My only "problem" is trying to keep it all look stock. SLEEPER = MUCH GOODNESS. Also of course everybody has the other problem of not having a money tree in their backyard. Know where I can get one of those?

Anyway if anybody would like to see something in particular when I am posting details of my mods just send me a shout and I will do my best to help you out.

If anybody has seen some of my other posts I am a little crazy when it come to car audio, ok well a lot crazy. I will say it now, there will be tons of work going into my ride, from sound deadening to custom installs, hopefully someone on here will get some use out of it. But that's my main area of knowledge and I hope I can share it with everybody on here. The way I do things is by no means the gospel in car audio, I do things my way and I am very picky and OCD about the details. If you have questions as to why I did something a certain way just ask, I will try to give you my reasons and some pros and cons. You decide if you want to do it that way yourself. Anyway back to it.... So here is a pick of my 2004 Java Black Pearl 2.5XS Premium Forester.

Enjoy :biggrin:

Table of Contents:
Audio:
Tweeter Kit Installation and Review

Tires:
Yokohama Geolander AT/S

Misc.:
Passport 9500 with Smart Cord

Exhaust:
STI Axleback Install (Pending pictures once fitment is correct)

Random Pics:
"Off Roading" on the Farm
Shameless AWD Cruise for the Boobs Plug

Parts Shelf: aka upcoming projects...
06 STI RSB w/mounts
06 Sedan Springs
OEM STI Fender Braces
04 STI Master Cylinder

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tires

Ok so I finally get to update this thread. Its been a while and have only done a few things but hey, that's enough right?

First off new tires.. :biggrin:
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S factory size.. 215/60-16

Before:

After:

I really like these tires. They don't add much road noise at all, they grip great in the dirt, and the snow. For the price they are a great deal.

6/2/2011 edit:
After a long road trip to Gatlinburg TN, and a thrashing on the Tail of the Dragon, I can honestly say these tires are amazing. They ride great and are fairly quiet for the suby. They howled the whole time on the dragon but never lost grip. I did push them pretty good on one run and they could take it. IMHO if you are looking for an All Terrain tire to fit the stock size, these will fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next comes the Passport 9500 with smart cord. Ran the wire up the passenger side a-pillar and across the headliner. Sorry no pics, I was in a hurry to do this as it was about 10 degrees out at the time...

Also the wifey being the most awesomest person ever decided to get me a remote start installed for her birthday! :woohoo: What will she do for mine?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few of the parts I ordered from Jackie at Annapolis Subaru...
Timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, well pretty much the front of the motor... Already put new spark plugs in about 10,000 miles ago, and new wires to go with them.
Anyways I will not be doing the timing belt change, its in the shop today. The owner and only employee of the shop used to race Porsche's and work at a suby dealership for a few years. So I think the fozzy is in good hands. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Audio

Now for the first audio upgrade. Added the factory tweeter kit. Its not much but for the money it helps a lot. Not going to replace the speakers or sound dampen anything just yet. Still trying to get out of some debt.
Anyways, this kit is about as easy as it gets to install. Its cheap. It helps bring the sound stage up, and helps in imaging. These are by far not high quality tweeters. But they do a good job complimenting the factory speakers. I still have the factory 6 disc changer in the dash for now, and this kit did help the sound some.
The directions that come with the kit are all you really need. If you have any stereo installation knowledge at all you don't even really need the instructions, its that simple.

The kit...

The door...

Pry off the old cover. There are 3 tabs holding it in place. I started in the center and worked my way up to the top prying gently.

With the cover removed you can see where the 3 tabs go. Also you can see the factory wiring connector that is already there for you.

Connect the wiring and line up the tabs, then just push and that is it. Pretty easy stuff here.

Now install the cover. Just line up the tabs and the holes. Couldn't be easier.

:Banane35: All in all it took me longer to take pictures and do this write up than it did to actually do the install.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now for a little teaser... I had a friend give me this. I have enough extra stuff laying around to install it once the weather gets nice again. This should help some...:biggrin:

Infinity Basslink. :cool:

p.s. sorry about the old point and shoot. The flash is a bit much.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tuned. Love the Gray Goose BTW. Hopefully I will have the Basslink installed in a couple of weeks. But new brakes will go on first. Hopefully I get it all done before May. Plus I have a couple other ideas floating around in my head. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the compliments on the goose...she is a long ways from done.

How will those tires handle the dragon?
The tires actually handle alright. By no means am I going to be pushing the limits of the car though. For a cruise they will be fine. But I will be wishing I had went with something else the whole time we are on the dragon.
If your that curious we could always swap wheels for a run down the dragon. lol.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,333 Posts
The tires actually handle alright. By no means am I going to be pushing the limits of the car though. For a cruise they will be fine. But I will be wishing I had went with something else the whole time we are on the dragon.
If your that curious we could always swap wheels for a run down the dragon. lol.:biggrin:
I doubt my BFG Traction T/A All seasons are that much better....But I working on a plan.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So even though I am installing the Basslink in the car, its only going to be a temporary solution. Since the wife isn't real keen on the idea of driving around without a spare tire (and she is driving it now). I decided to try something... A fiberlglass enclosure inside the spare tire wheel. I have seen a few of these and figured why couldn't this work for me? The plan is to mount it low enough in the wheel that nothing will hit the carpeted floor "board" that rests on the tire. I will have to wait and see how much air space is in there as that and mounting depth will determine what driver to use.
One problem I am having is figuring out how I want it to be secured inside the wheel. I want quick easy removal to access the spare tire if needed. Still brainstorming this so we will see what comes of it.
Anyway here are some pictures of last nights progress...

Spare and all the fun stuff needed.

taped up.

added plastic garbage bag to keep things clean.

added aluminum foil and waxed for easier removal of fiberglass shell.

I will throw a few layers of fiberglass in it tonight, if they get set up in time I will check the volume with some packing peanuts.

update:
This mod kind of hit a stumbling block for now. I fully intend on finishing it and you can follow its progress from start to finish here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/spare-tire-wheel-sub-enclosure-need-some-help-93828/

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Off Roading on the farm

Yesterday I had to go out and look for a couple trees that had fallen into some fields on the family farm, so I got to have a little off road fun. Now I am no Blue Fox, but I enjoyed myself. Here are a couple pics I snapped off with the old point and shoot, like I said, nothing amazing here.

Stream Crossing

1 - 20 of 57 Posts