Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Impreza Diesel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Euro4 2009 Diesel Impreza here in the UK.
I do around 50 miles per day and my DPF light recently went straight to flashing without going steady first.
I recently had issues with the EGR, which was pretty blocked, but I removed and cleaned it.

I tried to scan it with Torque Pro for the flashing DPF light, but I can't see anything?
Could someone please explain what I should do next? I know you are boffins with this engine :)

Thank you
Ross

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
880 Posts
Hi Ross,

It's likely that this is the oil dilution warning as that's what happens... it just starts flashing at you with no apparent diagnostic code. However there are other issues possible and at the age of your vehicle, with some high mileage it might be ash (as opposed to soot) overfull.

If it was soot overfull you would have seen the steady DPF light first (unless there's a sensor problem that caused the reading to suddenly jump).

As for awesomeness... not me, have a look at Subdiesel's page on the DPF light.

Program the PIDs required into Torque Pro and readout the oil dilution (PID 114E) and soot levels (PID 114D) - note you need to the formulae to calcuate the parameters correctly. As yours is a 2009 model hopefully this works, not sure as definite from 2010/Euro5.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2009 Impreza Diesel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@pitrack_1 Thanks, I've got a USB cable to use with Romraider, I'm going to give it a shot later. I'll let you know how it goes!
I've found instructions on how to input the oil dilution ratio on the EE20 enginem however I think the PID codes might not work as I've got a Euro4 engine, but I'll try scan it with the new software.

Thanks again!

Quick update, so I've used Romraider and noted the issue with the Oil dilution, it was at 10% after the flashing light went off on my way home from work.
I've reset the oil dilution ratio and it's went back to 0.
Recently I also cleaned the EGR after it was very clogged (after throwing a code)
So I've reset the ECU and it's the best it's drove in years.
I'll need to check in later next week once it's had a couple of miles put on it.
I noted the soot value was at 30% (forgot to check the Ash value) let's hope it stays off.

P.s the PID for Torque didn't work, but I believe that's because I have a Euro4 engine and the PID codes are for a Euro 5 engine which has slightly different sensors etc.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
880 Posts
That's a win Ross!

You're probably right about the codes and well done defaulting back to romraider (which I haven't used, not needing to).

Soot is OK at 30%, it should trigger a regen at 65% if it's the closed DPF version- apparently some got an "open" version DPF version without management see subdiesel's DPF Light page and DPF management page.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza Diesel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a win Ross!

You're probably right about the codes and well done defaulting back to romraider (which I haven't used, not needing to).

Soot is OK at 30%, it should trigger a regen at 65% if it's the closed DPF version- apparently some got an "open" version DPF version without management see subdiesel's DPF Light page and DPF management page.
Here's some data since I have an issue with the EGR valve, it was coked up and I've cleaned it. However, the motor is knackered ( I tried to grease it up )
Pretty cool to see the behaviour of the EGR valve, when I'm driving at a steady speed towards the middle of the drive it's requesting it open, then when I accelerate quite hard it closes the EGR valve.
However, as you can see unfortunately the EGR valve is stuck open at 9 degrees throughout the duration of the trip (hence the engine warning light)
Off to Ebay I go!

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
880 Posts
Aircon recharged today!
Aircon?? In Scotland??? Surely you mean the heater/demister :biggrin:

(Says he who was fogbound until 1pm in the afternoon recently...Canberra can be such cold hole)

·
Registered
2009 Impreza Diesel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aircon?? In Scotland??? Surely you mean the heater/demister :biggrin:

(Says he who was fogbound until 1pm in the afternoon recently...Canberra can be such cold hole)
It was running at 14PSI! On the Aircon, it had nothing in it after a very sorry 9 years of torture.
Maybe you could help actually, is the car known for either being very warm or very cold? and nothing in between? :grin2:

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
880 Posts
EGR valve...
You should get an EGR code I assume. Just before you do change the EGR, make sure the connector is connected properly and perhaps that the ECU is actually commanding the EGR valve, i.e. there isn't an ECu/wiring harness failure- probably should be able to backprobe the connector for certain voltages. Perhaps you can run the valve motor manually with 12V just to see or at the very least check the winding resistance. Also it may not be the motor that's faulty, but the readback.

You should also be able to hear it (I think) cycling when starting or stopping the car. At least on our EURO 5 all sorts of whirring and buzzing occurs for several seconds... quite entertaining to see people at the fuel station look at the car quizzically!

Lots of luck, I look forward to your outcome with interest.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
880 Posts
...is the car known for either being very warm or very cold? and nothing in between? :grin2:
Don't know about the Impreza, but certainly our Forester was exactly that. The 'climate control' was a misnomer. The airflow shouldn't swap oscillate between extreme hot and cold per se, but I found you couldn't set a comfortable temperature... the car mostly would want to heat or cool. So in winter we'd have to set one temp (lowish I think) and in summer another (highish I think) to maintain a comfortable ambient compartment temp, and then change it constantly to stop it blowing hot or cold. Totally unlike my Mazdas which are uncanny in their comfort maintenance.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza Diesel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know about the Impreza, but certainly our Forester was exactly that. The 'climate control' was a misnomer. The airflow shouldn't swap oscillate between extreme hot and cold per se, but I found you couldn't set a comfortable temperature... the car mostly would want to heat or cool. So in winter we'd have to set one temp (lowish I think) and in summer another (highish I think) to maintain a comfortable ambient compartment temp, and then change it constantly to stop it blowing hot or cold. Totally unlike my Mazdas which are uncanny in their comfort maintenance.
Ah fantastic, well that's good to know! I've noticed if I set it on auto auto from before turning on the ignition it seems to be more tolerable..

·
Registered
2009 Impreza Diesel
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So I've finally swapped out the EGR Valve and took it for a good drive, and of course I've got graphs to show people for future.
Time across the bottom in milliseconds, so 1.2 million is 20 minutes of driving.
As you can see the DPF Temperature tops out at 780 degrees Celsius during the regen
In the second graph it takes almost 7 minutes and motorway speeds before it starts to clear the soot from the exhuast.
Just thought I'd leave these graphs here for anyone in future that has issues with their car, will leave a few tags for Google at the bottom :)

EE20 DPF Exhaust Issues EGR Valve

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6sp Manual
165 Posts
Hi!

How did you get Romraider to work? Where did you find definitions? Maybe you can link me to them?
I have MY10 Forester, tactrix cable and Romraider but never used them together.

And - what ECU reset does? Deletes adaptrations and learning values?

Regarding EGR- Nissan Navara uses the same EGR as Subaru diesels. Only difference is that Subaru coolant hoses are at an angle and Nissan ones are straigt, but they can be swapped. Somehow prices on NEW EGR for Nissan are half cheaper than Subaru ones..
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts