Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 2.5x automatic and I especially like the fact there is a 3rd gear I can easily downshift into to slow the vehicle when stopping. Are there any concerns that manually downshifting into 3rd can cause undue stress on the transmission?

Thanks,

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Brake pads are cheaper than tranny parts :)

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Peaty said:
Brake pads are cheaper than tranny parts :)
Exactly!! :D

But it is nice that Subaru allows us to select all 4 gears individually. Many cars just provide a "Low" and "Drive". But I would recomend to to leave in in 4th and use the brakes for stopping and slowing down on flat road driving.

However, feel free to use lower gears on long down hills to keep your brake pads from overheating. Since transmissions are cheaper than cars and lives!

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Peaty's right about brakes being cheaper than transmissions, insofar as you are downshifting into third...in town, I seldom have it in fourth. If you're not getting above 50 mph in town, third is in a better part of torque/hp curve for performance, gas mileage, and deceleration...
-Quick

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Quicksilver said:
Peaty's right about brakes being cheaper than transmissions, insofar as you are downshifting into third...in town, I seldom have it in fourth. If you're not getting above 50 mph in town, third is in a better part of torque/hp curve for performance, gas mileage, and deceleration...
-Quick
I've come to that conclusion too. AT engages 4th gear at too low a speed round town. I plan to run the next couple of tanks using 3 round town, and then a couple of tanks running D round town - see if there is a measurable fuel economy difference. (So hard to eliminate other variables though).

-- Steve

T

·
0 Posts
I used to have an auto and better fuel economy could be had by driving in 3rd around town under 40mph.
I never shift into 5th around town. It seems kinda dangerous if you have to swerve all of a sudden.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Quicksilver said:
-Quick
Ditto... for around-town driving I almost always shift into third to avoid lugging the engine and for better acceleration and deceleration.

A

·
0 Posts
In winter, if there is a snow, I believe it a better idea to use downshift instead of brakes.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
Downshifting is used to select the proper gear for acceleration. The brakes are what stop you.
I agree but alexmolin is right when it comes to the snow. I find that downshifting in snowy conditions and matching the revs while easing the clutch out work better than trying to use the brakes. The ABS kicks in too soon for me.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Peaty said:
I agree but alexmolin is right when it comes to the snow. I find that downshifting in snowy conditions and matching the revs while easing the clutch out work better than trying to use the brakes. The ABS kicks in too soon for me.
Ah yes. In the snow. Different beast from the tarmac.

Otherwise, I agree with your first reply- brakes are a lot cheaper than a tranny rebuild!

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
While we're at the switching gears on auto trannies question I'd like to ask something: when my car was resting on jackstands and I was driving my wife's car, which is automatic, I became curious if there is any protection in the gearbox from switching into R while driving forward. Of course I didn't try it :p but would like to know the answer.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I would save the "R" for race position for another time! Usually need to push in a button on the shifter to go past neutral I think. Let me try it out on my Tribeca loaner. Just kidding if you're snooping guys.

A

·
0 Posts
I've not tried it too, but I think twisting groove along gear lever path is the first-place protection of this to happen.
Another thing, I believe there is sort of controller that operates the gear box and it should take care of it. It does it for down shifting, for example if speed is to high it doesn't let it to shift down before you slow down enough.

A

·
0 Posts
I've checked the manual ('03 2.5X). It says shifting to R or P while going forward or to D while driving backward should be avoided. It may(!) damage the transmission. It's not like it will certainly damage it. OK, if you put it in P, I believe, it will, though.
Also it says the gear box is electronically controlled and it will protect the engine from over revving when downshifting (as I mentioned before).
Another new thing I didn't know about is small plastic cap in front-right corner of gear level's panel. It's to unlock it if it happens you parked at up/down hill and cannot pull the lever from P position. Then, open the cap, and use flat screwdriver to unlock it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts