Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Manual
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read lots of tutorials and watched some of the videos for doing this but wow, much more difficult then I'd anticipated. Probably because my car is a 2005 forester with 120k miles and has never had the exhaust apart.

I have finally got the downpipe separated from the turbo, that was after finding a few bolts/screws I wasn't aware of and could hardly see/access. Now the downpipe seems to be hung up on some heat shielding under the turbo. I'm assuming there are still more screws I need to remove (thought I'd got to all of them). Here's where I'm at. I'm assuming (hoping) one of these screws will release the heat shielding.

Edit..it doesn't appear to be either of those. it's a small rusted screw at the top of the photo that attaches the downpipe to the heat shielding..I'd cut it but don't have the right tool..I'll ahve to just keep working at it. It's a pain to get too.

There was a local (Los Angeles) mechanic that I was going to pay to help me out but he seems to have vanished..guess he decided not to work on a nice day.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
511 Posts
I had to remove ALL he hear shields to get mine off. It took alot longer than expected. I also had to loosen the engine mounts and trans mount and use a floor jack to jack up the engine to remove the factory up pipe and install my new one. Alot of others here say theirs basically popped right out.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Manual
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, mission accomplished (more or less). Their were 2 screws holding on the bottom section of the heat shielding that I had missed. I never realized the Forester has 3 separate pieces for the heat shield (large top piece and 2 smaller). Their were also a few bolts I wasn't aware of that were VERY difficult to get too/find.

For the moment I'll be driving without a heat shield until I can order an aftermarket one (3 screws as opposed to 9 or 10!). I also wasn't able to insert the center hanger bolt..it simply wouldn't quite line up and I'd need to grind a little material off the opening to insert the bolt, though the pipe is in the hanger tab and seems very solid. And no exhaust leaks that I could hear/detect. I did re-use the donut though if I did this again I would have bought a new one. Fortunately I did buy the grimmspeed turbo to downpipe gasket.

As far as any difference..well now I won't be able to pass a visual when smogging the car (Ha). Without a tune I probably wont see any difference (this is the catted pipe and everything else is stock including intake and cat back exhaust. I honestly thought it would be louder, the only difference is a slight whistling as the turbo spools up..hardly noticeable. Next comes an up pipe and a tune (and about a dozen other things).

I should also mention my back is killing me and I'm covered in dirt and sweat from laying under the car for a day ;)

BTW this was the Invidia Dp.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
46 Posts
I am lookin' to do a aftermarket DP and everything else is completely stock. Got any video of the car, I am curious of the sound difference.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 4EAT
1,430 Posts
make sure you guys get tuned for that DP.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT AT
301 Posts
i changed my downpipe a few weeks ago and i was sitting at 126k

i sprayed it with a ton of WD40 and got it swapped out in a few hours. it wasnt too bad.

you should've done the up-pipe at the same time since it requires you to unbolt the DP again

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Manual
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had planned on also doing the up pipe at the same time but this turned out to be more work then I expected, plus my back was killing me from leaning over the hood and I was worried I'd be unable to take the car to work if I didn't get everything buttoned up. Though doing the up pipe would necessitate a tune. I was told by a local Subaru tuner just a catted DP and nothing else shouldn't require a tune, though you won't see an improvement either (I know that's debatable). I have a TD05, up-pipe, Sti TMIC, etc, that I plan on eventually installing.

Removing the Invidia DP should be a snap compared to removing the stock system and all the heat shielding and rusted bolts and screws. Plus having done this makes doing it again much easier. I just need to order the heat shielding.

As far as noise it's a subtle difference, not as much as I'd expected, just a slight whistling sound as the turbo spools up. If you're going for a deeper sound a cat back system will always be much more noticeable.

This hanger I wasn't aware of and at first couldn't figure out how to remove it as there was no room around it (helps to have a good assortment of extensions for this job).

[/URL][/IMG]

These looked easy put were difficult to remove (2 handed job) and they made a real racket as they were being unscrewed. The Invidia system came with new bolts and a gasket (I reused the donut but should have bought a new one).

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
46 Posts
I just purchase an up-pipe and full 3" catless downpipe and exhaust I am going to be installing. Was going to be doing it this weekend but I am going to take everyone's advice and hold off until I get the Accessport. Don't need to be hurting my Forester, since it is the wifes car. Haha

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
No tune + aftermarket downpipe is risky. You might not blow your motor, but I wouldn't do it. Especially since your planing all those other upgrades at 120K.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts