Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru STI 6 Speed Manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! Quick question I want to confirm. I recently bought an 04 FXT (5spd) with a VF48 turbo installed. I’ve heard parts from the STI can transfer over to the FXT but not exactly sure about this specific turbo. Is this still true knowing the VF48 is now installed? Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
The VF48 is a turbo from an STI. it would be helpful if you could provide a list of all the modifications that you know of, and whether or not the car has been tuned. The prior owner should be able to answer that. In general, how does the car run? It should feel quite powerful with a good running VF48.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@northman The mod list isn’t much. Just a high flow catted downpipe, VF48, STI top mount, V3 accessport running OTS map. Car runs good the map has the car maxing boost aroun 22-23 PSI but I try to keep it less than 10 when driving until I can get a custom tune. It does pull nicely tho.

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
@northman The mod list isn’t much. Just a high flow catted downpipe, VF48, STI top mount, V3 accessport running OTS map. Car runs good the map has the car maxing boost aroun 22-23 PSI but I try to keep it less than 10 when driving until I can get a custom tune. It does pull nicely tho.
Sounds like you are on the right track. 22-23 psi is on the high side for peak boost, depending on the fuel available. Around here the best we get is 92 octane, and all my tunes have maxed around 19 psi or so.

The mods you list are the minimum necessary, some will recommend an upgraded fuel pump as cheap insurance. Changing out the exhaust will make it louder, with perhaps a small power gain if you still have the stock muffler. If you are getting a custom tune you might consider a cold air intake, that can net you some 15 or 20 whp, although some people don't like them for various reasons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]

Sounds like you are on the right track. 22-23 psi is on the high side for peak boost, depending on the fuel available. Around here the best we get is 92 octane, and all my tunes have maxed around 19 psi or so.

The mods you list are the minimum necessary, some will recommend an upgraded fuel pump as cheap insurance. Changing out the exhaust will make it louder, with perhaps a small power gain if you still have the stock muffler. If you are getting a custom tune you might consider a cold air intake, that can net you some 15 or 20 whp, although some people don't like them for various reasons.[/QUOTE]

I want to invest in the fuel pump and injectors for sure as well as a wastegate. I’m debating between a cold air and a short ram. I’ve had the Cobb short ram and air box before on an 04 STI and was pretty happy with it. I know the differences will be minimal especially with power user 300. Thank you for the input!

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
I want to invest in the fuel pump and injectors for sure as well as a wastegate. I’m debating between a cold air and a short ram. I’ve had the Cobb short ram and air box before on an 04 STI and was pretty happy with it. I know the differences will be minimal especially with power user 300. Thank you for the input!
Injectors not really needed with the VF. Popular opinion is that the cold air intakes (filter in the fender) are superior to the short rams. Don't believe the intake nay-sayers, there are gains to be had. When running a VF43 I picked up 20 whp with an AEM cold air intake, very noticeable.

Are you going external wastegate?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts