Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around for a downpipe for my '10 FXT and was pretty set on Cobb until i saw the prices of some other brands on ebay ($150-$350) as opposed to $600 for a cobb. What brands are good? What are you using? Are you happy with it?? all input welcomed..

PS doesn’t necessarily have to have a cat..

:Banane35:

·
Registered
2005 FXT 5 spd
247 Posts
I've been shopping around for a downpipe for my '10 FXT and was pretty set on Cobb until i saw the prices of some other brands on ebay ($150-$350) as opposed to $600 for a cobb. What brands are good? What are you using? Are you happy with it?? all input welcomed..

While I'm not an expert on this issue, from the many postings of others it seems that you usually get what you pay for with most of the mod parts. I just sat tight until I found a used COBB pipe and I feel it was worth it. If you are not wanting to wait, then I am sure there are some cheaper brands that would work just as well (NVidia or Grimmspeed are two that come to mind.)

·
Registered
2005 FXT 5 spd
247 Posts
There is a used COBB DP right now in the Parts For Sale Section!!! Better hurry!

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
HKS for myself... there are lots of decent options available, but try to stay away from eBay brand items. Sometimes they're great pieces, but a poorly designed downpipe can destroy your turbo. This is mostly limited to divorced DP's however, which aren't really necessary. Bellmouth will suffice.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about Megan dp?? i havent read anything bad about them. one member just suggested heat wrapping it.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
If you're going catless it really doesn't matter which downpipe you get. Most any bellmouth downpipe will work perfectly. The biggest difference is that the cobb units can bolt right up to the stock catback, as it has the donut gasket (not sure if its different for the 09+), most aftermarket and cheap downpipes have a 3" flat gasket.

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
got my cobb dp last week. Very nice piece. The welds are 2nd to none.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have a helix catted DP and it works as well as any other bellmouth one. Got it used for $200 a few years ago.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts

You need a DP for an 08+ WRX or 05-09 LGT.

ERZ has a crazy deal going on right now for DPs' $280 shipped for catted and $189 shipped for catless. It is a full 3" DP so you'd want an adapter to bolt it to the stock CBE.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/erz-cnt-5eat-catted-down-131614.html

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that looks like a great buy, thank you Scooby....now i just need to figure out if i want to go catted or not.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
The problem with catless downpipes is your car will smell, which gets old quickly. I had a COBB which was very nice -- good quality, natively bolts up to your stock catback and has a wideband bung already welded into the bellmouth. I'm running a v4 Invidia now which is also very nice.

Stan

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just found a cobb for $300 shipped w/1000 miles on it...got my fingers crossed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts