Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would like to get more information about 100% Synthetic – Double Ester Technology Motul Oil.

My dealer recommended 300 V Power 5W-40 for my Subaru to prevent the oil consumption.

Do you think this is a good oil?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,664 Posts
Motul 300V 5W-40 is a very good oil. It is made with ester base stocks and has a good dose of Anti-Wear additives. In some virgin and used oil analyses that I've seen, 300V seems to do better than 8100 X-Clean 5W-40 (lower wear, etc.).

Having said that, I don't see how that will help with your oil consumption. Aren't you currently using the X-Clean? Why does your dealer think that the 300V will help? If they didn't tell you, you should ask for details. As far as viscosity goes, the 300V is just a bit thicker than the X-Clean at 100C. I would also email Motul Canada and ask for their advice. Motul

-Dennis

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.0i N/A CVT
87 Posts
Motul 300V 5W-40 is a very good oil. It is made with ester base stocks and has a good dose of Anti-Wear additives. In some virgin and used oil analyses that I've seen, 300V seems to do better than 8100 X-Clean 5W-40 (lower wear, etc.).

Having said that, I don't see how that will help with your oil consumption. Aren't you currently using the X-Clean? Why does your dealer think that the 300V will help? If they didn't tell you, you should ask for details. As far as viscosity goes, the 300V is just a bit thicker than the X-Clean at 100C. I would also email Motul Canada and ask for their advice. Motul

-Dennis
What about Kendall GT1 full synth 5w40 ?

Wim

·
Registered
2008 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subaru says boxer engins usually have consumption of oil. It is necessary for their normal function. This is maybe their only disadvantage. Motul 300V oil has double ester techology while all other oils have syntetic base. Airplanes also use ester oils. Syntetic oils seam not good enough for Subaru !

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Subaru says boxer engins usually have consumption of oil. It is necessary for their normal function. This is maybe their only disadvantage. Motul 300V oil has double ester techology while all other oils have syntetic base. Airplanes also use ester oils. Syntetic oils seam not good enough for Subaru !
Esters are a type of synthetic base stock (Group V, the highest) and double ester is marketing speak for the types of ester Motul uses. At one time, Motul used di-esters. The types of esters used in jet engines are polyol esters. Polyol esters are found in Red Line.

Read more about esters here.

Motul 300V and Red Line both use esters, although different forms. Regardless if you use a Group III, IV, or V base stock oil, neither may not help with consumption. They do stand up better under severe conditions, although I can't see where any synthetic oil won't perform well in an n/a car.

Have a look around the forums in the link I posted above. With some digging, you can read more about 300V in the forums there.

-Dennis

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Another thing. If you're already running Motul 8100 5W-40 and planning to switch to 300V, I would try 10W-40 300V. It should be more stable than the 300V 5W-40.

-Dennis

·
Registered
2012 2.5 X Touring 4EAT
48 Posts
Double ester technology oil

Is Liqui Moly engine oil comparable to Motul engine oil and is a there a specific one that is suitable to Foesters driven in a cold climate like Canada?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The Liqui Moly oils that are labeled Fully Synthetic would probably be similar to the PAO based 8100 series Motul oils, but I don't think they have an oil that is mainly ester base stocks like 300V or even the 8100 ester Motuls. You can have a look on their site. Their Synthetic Technology oils are Group III synthetic. Liqui Moly has a couple of 0W-30's.

-Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts