Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone successfully get the dimmer wire to work on an aftermarket double din HU? Just bought the Kenwood DNX5140 and was wanting to integrate the dimmer wire. I read that the OEM wire had 12V when fully off and 0V when fully on. Reference: //forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10308972&postcount=11]NASIOC - View Single Post - Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more[/url] Anyone know if this flies with aftermarket head units?

Also, is there anyone else with an 09-10 that has successfully integrated the steering wheel controls with the same or similar Kenwood HU? Reading mixed reviews on the adapter.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
16 Posts
What adaptor are you referencing? The JWAC? That one needs to be programmed and I heard its a bit tedious to do.
I ordered the Axxess integration module to sync my steering wheel controls and JVC HU. It will recognize your car and HU and sync them automatically. No manual programming!
I will be doing the install this weekend - but from what I've heard/read - the Axxess is a pretty easy install.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, was referencing the adapter you said. Looking forward to hearing how it comes out for you. I'm guessing those run around 80 bucks?

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Anyone successfully get the dimmer wire to work on an aftermarket double din HU? Just bought the Kenwood DNX5140 and was wanting to integrate the dimmer wire. I read that the OEM wire had 12V when fully off and 0V when fully on. Reference: NASIOC - View Single Post - Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, aux inputs, and more Anyone know if this flies with aftermarket head units?
I'm not aware of any aftermarket HUs today that can use the variable dimmer line. All of them just want to see +12V to slightly dim the display for nighttime.

Technically, they need to see more than a certain voltage. In some HUs, as little as 1 Volt will do. In others, it takes ~ 6V or more to dim. So connecting the Subaru's dimmer wire would probably work, but the HU will still only have two-stage illumination (full-bright or slightly dimmed).

HUs usually also have a menu option to enable the feature (and also allow you to set "always dim" or "always bright").

Some HUs today don't have a dimmer wire -- they use an ambient light sensor and dim when it gets dark enough.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.....very helpful. I scanned through the HU manual and I think it has the ability to sync with the garmin's clock for dimming. Maybe go that route, then.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
16 Posts
Yes, was referencing the adapter you said. Looking forward to hearing how it comes out for you. I'm guessing those run around 80 bucks?
Yep - 55 for the adaptor, 15 for shipping - 70 bucks total.

Just checked - mine is to be delivered tomorrow! :woohoo:
Saturday can not come fast enough for me! Cant wait to get this bad boy installed! :discomonkey:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts