Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

My wife caved in the drivers door of her silver 2005 Frester XS model. I was able to locate a perfect replcement door of the same year, model, and color. I'm wondering about the remote lock and security systems, if I need to swap any electrics in the change over or if I can just plug in the new door and be good. Im thinking all the receivers for the systems are in the car and just operating slave moduals in the door. Any thoughts or experiance with this job would be greatley appreciated.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,964 Posts
I see that this is your first post, so welcome!

I'm sure it will be a simple case of plug 'n play. Go for it!

·
Registered
2005 XS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks B:

I did have one other thought - in order to use my wifes key to operate the (manual) lock, I'll have to change the actual lockset between the old and new door. I'm going to swap the doors first and then "open up" the old door to see (hopefully) how this may be done. I suppose I could get the key code, have a new key made and she could carry two spare keys. Anyway, I appreciate the help and Im sure I'll be back - My wife and I are now both in (and Loving!) Foresters.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,964 Posts
I think that removing and replacing the cables will be your largest challenge. I'm not sure where all the connectors are located. You quite possibly will have to open up the old door first, in order to disconnect the cables.

Here's a set of instructions for opening up the door that I posted at Scoobymods. They were specifically aimed at installing LED arrows on the outside mirrors, but the process of opening things up is the same.

Some jerk commented that he didn't find these to be useful, but I kind of think they might be.

Note that in step 4 I neglected to say that you also have to remove the screw that's holding the door handle bezel in place.

·
Registered
2005 XS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks again. this info looks very relevent to what I'll be doing. Im sure its going to help. I'll post a follow up when I'm done. Have a great week-end.
KMW

·
Registered
2005 XS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Door Swap Follow-up

Hi all:

Swap was easy and went as expected. Door bolts on with no adjustment and fit was perfect. Had to switch out the manual lockset in the door panel, this was super easy with only a clip on the back and one (easily unsnapped) control arm going to the lock mechanism. One big plug goes through the door jam and plugs in inside the car. Cake! Thanks again for the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts