Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo Manual
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front driver side window was making a bit of a click as it went up and down, then last week it went 'crunch' and jammed.

I presumed a broken regulator and took off the door card.

The bolts holding the regulator have mangled the part of the door they go through so simply putting ina new regulator wont work.

I got a new door with all the gubbins attached from a scrappy today (same year but a different shade of metallic green - thanks Subaru)

The options I guess are to simply fit the odd-coloured door and wire it up - presumably the central locking will open even though the key will be wrong - I suppose I could try and have the 'new door' resprayed the same as the rest of the car.

Or.. is it possible to take the outer skin off the original door and attach it to the inner skin plus the gubbins from the 'new door'?

Anyone know, or have an exploded diagram of a front door on a 2000 S-Turbo before I start stripping the doors apart and finding I've made a tailpiece of both doors?

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Opposedforces will provide diagrams.

No, the skin doesn''t easily come off. The edges would damage, requiring a respray anyway. The lock is easy to swap over.

Could you not have repaired the original door with some penny washers or such?

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo Manual
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately the actual inner frame that the regulator screws into has been twisted a bit as well as the metal gouged where the 4 screws have been dismembered.

Without knowing what connects to what with the door in situ I'm wary of buggering about with my fingers in amongst some possibly mangled metal and gears.

Might just go for the 'rat look' initially with the scavenged door, and add some steelies with winter rubber!

An exploded diagram would be helpful just to see what can be dismantled - if it's all nuts'n'bolts then I can probably sort it out - if there's some spot-welds then I don't think I'll bother.

Bloomin' heavy the doors too - had to carry the door (with glass) about 400 yards from the scrapped Foz to the carpark - chunky looking side impact bar - last one I saw was from a Rover 100 (= Metro) and it was laughable: the only side impact bars in that are your radius and ulna.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts