Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Forester. Have checked all the doors but the "door open" light will not go out. Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That's a notorious problem on Ford Ranger pickups, which I have one of. On the Rangers its because the mechanism that's INSIDE the edge of the door (the edge that opens) and that makes contact with something on the door post when you close the door, is stuck. On the Ranger its a pin in a cylinder and the pin goes in and out as the door's opened and closed. The standard fix for the Ranger is to spray silicone spray in that opening in the edge of the door -- the opening that has the cylinder inside of the opening. Then open and close the door a few times, slamming it slightly. If the door open light on the dash stays on, repeat the spraying and door closing process. So try that first. If that doesn't work you might have to take off the panel on the inside of the door and replace the stuck mechanism, assuming of course that a stuck mechanism is the cause of the problem.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
rebel said:
1999 Forester. Have checked all the doors but the "door open" light will not go out. Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot?
Did you check the switch on the light itself? I know, it sounds like a no-brainer, but it is possible to gloss over that possibility...

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Did you check the switch on the light itself? I know, it sounds like a no-brainer, but it is possible to gloss over that possibility...
^^^ Agree. I would first check to make sure the switch wasn't accidentally switched to on before checking the door sensor as jmacmaster suggested.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apologize for not being clearer. I should have said the door ajar light on the dashboard stays on even though all of the doors are closed. Any thoughts?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I checked the rear door and all 4 passenger doors. Also tried the silicone suggested above. It even stays on when the ignition is off!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
I have the same problem when its gets below -20C. The rear hatch switch doesn't work properly in the cold for some reason and the light stays on even when I slam it shut. I have adjusted the strikers, cleaned the latch, nothing. If I push on the hatch the light goes out. Once the car warms up the light goes out.

I will take it all apart again when the weather warms up.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all, but it went away today as mysteriously as it first appeared. Cubby: I don't think temperature was a contributor for me as it was in the high 60'sF yesterday and is today in the 70's. Hopefully it will stay out now!

·
Premium Member
07 x auto
147 Posts
My 99L has done that a couple times. I found that if I open the rear hatch and close it hard the light goes out.

·
Registered
1999 Forester AT
68 Posts
My 99L has done that a couple times. I found that if I open the rear hatch and close it hard the light goes out.
I have had my '99 Forester-L for a couple days now. I noticed the driver door is harder to close and the door ajar light does not go out all the time. After a few times opening and closing, it goes out.
Is there something I can adjust on the door to make it close more like the other three?
Lastly, on the driver door only, when it opens it makes a ca-chunk noise at stop one and then another ca-chunk at stop two. Is this just normal or can I make that stop. It kinda makes me crazy to hear it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Door Ajar Light Solution

I first thought it was the rear door.. Lame.. I found it was the ignition just by accident as I turn the key to on then off then on then off and the door ajar light went out. So I used a large amount of graphite in the ignition key slot with the key in and out and it went out most of the time. Well the problem came back so I used a little bit of oil (probably better off with sewing machine oil or transmission fluid) and the light behaves.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
4 Posts
Why mention your Ford Truck ??

That's a notorious problem on Ford Ranger pickups, which I have one of. On the Rangers its because the mechanism that's INSIDE the edge of the door (the edge that opens) and that makes contact with something on the door post when you close the door, is stuck. On the Ranger its a pin in a cylinder and the pin goes in and out as the door's opened and closed. The standard fix for the Ranger is to spray silicone spray in that opening in the edge of the door -- the opening that has the cylinder inside of the opening. Then open and close the door a few times, slamming it slightly. If the door open light on the dash stays on, repeat the spraying and door closing process. So try that first. If that doesn't work you might have to take off the panel on the inside of the door and replace the stuck mechanism, assuming of course that a stuck mechanism is the cause of the problem.
The problem is that your iginition key needs some lubrication. It really worked. Try graphite at first.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Lube the hinges, and pivot pins, lube the light swtch on the door frame sill, you'll see it looking at where the seatbelt retracts too, then report back. The light switch also activates the door ajar light.

·
Registered
2007 2.5 XTEn Auto
142 Posts
I had a similar issue and have fixed it by adjusting the position of the tailgate latch (on the car, not the tailgate side). Basically the catch in the tailgate has two positions when closed. You can push into the gap with a screwdriver to engage the first and then the second position. You should see the interior light go out when you engage the second position, but not the first.

The problem is you can have the latch adjusted so that it only ever engages the first position and thus never turns out the light.

It doesn't feel any different and can actually be adjusted so it doesn't rattle or anything so you might not realise it's not engaging the second position.

You need to move the catch further back so it goes further into the tailgate, engaging the second position. Some finer adjustment will be needed to get it to feel right and not rattle.

So if you find you need to slam or push the tailgate to get the light to go out - try adjusting this and you should get it sorted!

For me it was preventing the remote locking from working so I was glad to have that working again after sorting it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
29,456 Posts
Here's a head-scratcher... '98 SF. I did an adjustment to the striker today to remedy a pretty bad tailgate rattle, and now the 'door ajar' light is on when the tailgate is closed, but will go out as soon as it's opened. I can take a screwdriver and push in on the latch manually - click it into the first position and then the second - and the light stays off in both positions. Close the hatch, and it comes on - and stays on even with the key removed. I'm stumped.

·
Administrator
29,456 Posts
Well, I fixed it with a battery disconnect/reconnect. Still doesn't make sense to me, but whatever it takes...

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,846 Posts
Makes no sense whatever, but don't argue with success!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts