Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X Auto
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as we all may know. Your worst enemy could be your nice little old neighbor or just another grocery shopper. Regardless, door dents are a b*tch and it seems as though they're inevitable. Before you write, park as far away as possible. Some of us wise men and women already do so, and some may even take up two spaces when available :icon_confused:

What measures do you go too in order to stop from being dinged or damaged? I know there's a ton of 8-15 year old fozzies on the road that look great and un-damaged. Are you guys getting the dents pulled? Replacing Panels? Doing the work yourself? Share some insight on what you have been subject too and how you fixed it.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X Auto
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kicking it off: I dented my rear passenger door while moving, I had a ton of stuff in a laundry basket and missed the opening by two inches. BOOM first door ding after a few months of owning it. To spice things up I tried using a pops a dent and created two dents from one. Another time I was parked outside a thrift store and some lady opened her door and put a tiny dent above my passenger door handle. It's been killing me ever since and I am going to get them professionally pulled and fixed. I'm getting flack from my wife who thinks it will happen again no matter how careful I am.

On the Brightside, my drivers side is immaculate

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
Just noticed my first door ding/dent on Friday. Whoever hit it had a red vehicle, the paint came right off onto my foz. It's right below my gas tank door and when looking at it from the side it looks to be 3+ inches. I was able to get some of the paint off but in one portion it went down through a couple layers and it feels rough.
What makes it worse for anything like this is that people are so careless, you bet if someone had done that to their new car they would be peeved!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5mt
296 Posts
It does suck that other people really don't care, but dents and dings are a fact of life. Mine came with dings already, so I am not worried about it. Doesn't mean I'm OK with it, but worrying about it isn't going to prevent it from happening.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Worrying about and losing sleep over door dings is as productive to one's mental health as doing the same over holster wear on your new pistol.

They are both going to happen unless your vehicle stays in the garage or your firearm in the safe. :discomonkey:

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium Automatic
22 Posts
People get into a hurry or just plain don't care, and like what has been said, dings will happen. I had a ding on the body line of my right rear door a few months after I bought mine. It looked like they got some paint with it and I decided to have the paintless dent repair guy that comes into work do it on the side. He popped it right out and buffed it. To my great pleasure no paint was chipped and now there is no sign that there was ever a dent. If you know someone who does dent repair and can get them to do it on the side it will save you greatly.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium cvt
32 Posts
My 7 year old SUV was black -no body side molding and it looked perfect when I traded it in for the 14 premium. I never ever parked the car where someone could ding the door, its easy, just look for end of row spots, back of the lot, etc. I need the extra exercise walking to the store anyway.

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
look for paintless dent removal on craigslist - I had a ton of dings on my fxt when I bought it and I had a guy come out and take all of them out for $225

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,236 Posts
Do you know moldings? :icon_wink:

They can't be a complete protection against door dings, but they can avoid a lot of them.
After my experiences with my previous Forester 07 ( silver metallic) without moldings - she got several door dings - moldings were one of the first accessoires, which I let install to my current Forester 10.
Believe it or not, as yet there are no door dings, at least no visible ones.
But I haven't varnished moldings, they are matt black.
By the way, at time only such not varnished, matt black moldings are offered in Europe for the Forester 14.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 Speeds of Goodness
475 Posts
One day I was driving my grandmother's car, with her in the passenger seat. I go to park, and she opens the door. She opened it and hit a Lexus next to us. I'm just like, "Why did you do that?!?!" She responds with, "the wind pulled it open." There wasn't much wind that day. Felt kinda bad for the Lexus. I'm just glad the owner wasn't right there... :woohoo:

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5 Premium MT
50 Posts
Knock on wood... no dings yet, but I play the odds as much as possible. For example, if I can park where there are no cars on either side of me, I do. If there are two spots open side-by-side, I park in the one on the LEFT. Why? Lower odds the passenger side door of the car next to me will open, while the drivers side door will always open. May be overkill but lowering the odds of a door opening toward my car can't hurt.

I also have the side moldings which look good IMO and add a little bit of protection. I have gotten a couple of tiny scratches somehow...must have been someone carelessly wielding a key

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts
Worrying about and losing sleep over door dings is as productive to one's mental health as doing the same over holster wear on your new pistol.

They are both going to happen unless your vehicle stays in the garage or your firearm in the safe. :discomonkey:
Quoted for truth...We retired guys understand that a ding on a vehicle is a microscopic blip on the radar screen of life.

BTW, I noticed you were origionally from WV...whart part? My daughter lived in Beckley 18 years ago and after moving around is back in Lewisburg. I would like to move down there but the wife.....you get the idea...:shake:

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
I was born in Princeton in '43 but left when I was a year old. I returned to charleston in '80 and moved to Beckley in '83 and stayed there until '88 when I moved to Baltimore.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6 spd manual
41 Posts
I got a really bad one a week or two ago. Jerk that did it even put his fingers on it to feel the damage because when I got to my car it had a oily dusty fingerprints. I'm all for holster wear (you should see my uspsa limited blaster), but it's MY property to wear. Negligent property damage by others irks me.

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
Wife parks the Foz at the University where she has been employed since car was purchased 11/04. Car receives a door ding about once a month when parked on campus. Luckily, car went through a hail storm about 6 months ago. Now ALL panels match. I swear, several 'dings' were counted as hail damage through the adjustors eye.

No point in fixing or even worrying about current or future cosmetic damage. Sad, as the car is a bit rare. From a distance, the car still looks good. If I were to sell, value would be based on 'fair' condition, even though interior and mechanicals are excellent when mileage is taken into account at >90k miles.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X Auto
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Inconsiderate drivers are what bothers me the most. People just fall out of their cars with their doors swinging wildly, I always feel weird confronting people afterwards, hey you door dinged my car. Some mom with 5 kids is like "so what" so I've been leaving notes but that never works.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,988 Posts
Leaving notes doesn't work because the other driver has to be able to read.......a challenge these past few years.....

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited 4-speed automatic
450 Posts
I sneezed facing the Subaru the other day and dented the fender. Is that even possible?! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
^Used to be able to do that to mine, but w/ all the door dings, the metal is stronger, as if it is corrugated or something, lol!

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
193 Posts
I like to park in end spots, preferably with a concrete "island" on one side. also, when parking in an end spot or next to another car if I have to, I try to park where the ground slopes away from the car so that a unattended shopping cart won't roll in it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts