Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 AWD FORESTER
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2003 AWD 2.0 litre forester. Had it one day and two problems:
1) The boot opened ok yesterday but will not unlock/open after using the key or switch on drivers side panel today. Why not?
2) When I got it... the rear left door handle did not open the door from the outside but still opened ok from the inside. (not a deal breaker I thought).
But now the child door safety lock has been switched on and then the door closed ....so I can't open the door from either the inside because of the child lock and outside because the problem with the handle...How do I get out of this one...is there a special way to get access to either the boot lock or door locks to solve it.....thanks Brecklands

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
The hatch should have a hole in the interior plastic that has a 2-3cm round plug in it. It is meant as as access point for you to stick your finger in to trip the latch mechanism in a emergency. It is in the owners manual.

As for the door I believe you will have to remove the interior door card to gain access to the lock/handles to do any thing about it. Not a fun job when the door wont open but possible.

·
Registered
2003 AWD FORESTER
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
one down ....one to go

Thanks...
I'm new to the doulble power locking system and when I went back out it unlocked on the key then flashed the hazards for ages then reset on the key button. Not sure what went on there or the correct setting of alarm and locks but the boot is fixed and unlocked at present!
The door is a complete problem area...when the window is down is it possible to undo the door through the gap between the glass and pillar so at least I can then open the door to undo child lock!
It might make tackling the faulty handle better then. Is access possible this way?
If I have to take the interior door panel off, does it mean undoing all the pillar plastics to then get enough room to fit a strip of plastic to trip child lock

Can a wire hanger open from the outside in the gap between the pillar and window opening

Thanks for your help. breckland

1 - 3 of 3 Posts