Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photos of The Doomsday Prepper Trailer with Tim Ralstons Little Guy

Attachments

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,813 Posts
I kind of want to make one, lol. I'm sure you could make one extremely lightweight for camping and taking trips without having to pay for hotel rooms. Small enough to not have to worry about super horrible gas milage either.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I kind of want to make one, lol. I'm sure you could make one extremely lightweight for camping and taking trips without having to pay for hotel rooms. Small enough to not have to worry about super horrible gas milage either.

I was actually looking for utility trailers the other day and came across this.

Little Guy Little Guy 5-Wide Platform Teardrop Camper Trailer

The door on the Little Guy trailer looks to be pretty much the same.

They probably took the body and put it on a bigger frame, swapped fenders, wheels, added a bigger platform, 1/2-way between the 5 wide platform and the 6 wide sport.

970lbs for the 5 wide before adding all the gear, heavier wheels and tires, etc.

Looks like ~$7000 starting for a Little Guy 5 Wide platform, before we get into zombie modifications. :Banane36:

I'd probably be better off with a Manley Explore trailer as it is already outfitted with the wheels/tires/axles, etc for a similar price and weight. http://www.manleyorv.com/ Since they're local, I could see if they would extend the frame and toss a platform on there, too. :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of outfitting a HF utility trailer.

One possible configuration I've been thinking about: Use the inside of the trailer for storage and have a kitchen fold out of the rear like I've seen on some tear drops. Put racks on top to hold kayaks (or whatever) ala the BOSS.

Then car camp in the Forester. Milage should be about the same for me considering the decrease in vertical height by putting boats on the (shorter) trailer.

Same could be done with the Manely Explorer ADaughen mentioned.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of outfitting a HF utility trailer.

One possible configuration I've been thinking about: Use the inside of the trailer for storage and have a kitchen fold out of the rear like I've seen on some tear drops. Put racks on top to hold kayaks (or whatever) ala the BOSS.

Then car camp in the Forester. Milage should be about the same for me considering the decrease in vertical height by putting boats on the (shorter) trailer.

Same could be done with the Manely Explorer ADaughen mentioned.

Outfitting a HF 40.5x48 or bigger would cost considerably less than the teardrop or Manley, but you might be better suited to build your own at that point. Swapping axles, wheels, tires, fenders, building a box and boat rack starts adding up.

This guy makes his own... http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143895 If it is short enough, I would run the 2" receiver tube all the way to the other end. You can always put a bike rack or receiver hammock on the back.

A fold down table on the back might work, but think about all the trailer access you will be losing. Depending on how tall the trailer walls are going to be, you may want to put it on the side over a fender. Probably next to a door with a water cooler and other needed cook gear.

You might also look into a Boy Scouts cook box design for a cooking station. That will help free up the utility trailer from being just a camping trailer, if needed.

Chuck Box
http://www.netwoods.com/document2/patrol bx.htm

And a patrol box for the rest of the gear (big pans, tent stakes, rope, etc)
http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Nordenhal/AandS-pages/patrol-box/my-box1.html

Who needs a Forester to sleep in? :crazy: :icon_wink: Just rock a tent, either rooftop ($$) or ground tent. A dome tent, and a good bag are plenty fine. For longer than a night or two, air mattresses help if you're old and achy, but take a while to fill and deflate.

Before you start modifying or building your trailer get everything you thing you will need and find a place for it. Tie down points, access for large items, etc. You also want to lay out where the heavy stuff will be, water, gas, gold bullion, etc to balance the load and keep tongue weight down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts