Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i'm driving in a complete white out snowstorm. 4 inches of snow on the road. I'm keeping the speed down to 20 and I can barley see the white sedan 3 car lengths in front of me.

From behind me a see a lifted white jimmy start riding my donkey. Meanwhile the road begins a downhill slope (about 300ft) to an intersection. And the white sedan is preparing his stop.

The visibility is down to 30' at most and road are icy. The guy in the jimmy decides he is going to pass me because i'm going to slow at 20mph in 30' of visibility with a stop 300' in front of me, not including the car 3 car lengths in front of me, with cars at a red light.

As he passes me I roll down the window and scream "What the F*ck are you f*cking doing!?" He cuts sharply in front of me nearly taking out my front bumper slams on his brakes (mud boggers don't stop on ice and snow well) almost hitting the white sedan that was in front of me. To avoid hitting the white sedan he swerves left and fishtails sideways. He proceeds sliding sideways on the wrong side of the road down hill and into the on-coming blazer.

I felt bad for the innocent girl in the blazer who now needs front end work because this guy passed me because I was going to slow at 20mph in 30' of visibility with 4 inches of ice and snow on the road and an intersection 300' ahead.

I turned around to make sure everyone was ok. I walk up to the guy and say "You need to be careful passing somebody in a SNOWSTORM!". I got in my car and proceeded on.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
125 Posts
I somehow admire the vengeance you felt and the revenge you received. On the flip-side, was it the name calling and finger waving that made him slam the brakes or was it the "oh sh*t" moment of seeing the sedan in front of you...? I try to ignore people who piss me off while driving. Luckily you were able to get all of your digits back inside the car before he slammed on the brakes.

I love snow....

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I would have had other choice words for him other than "careful". I believe that people who just do stupid things deserve to be slapped.....not punched or beaten up........just a nice, firm slap. It hurts, it's humiliating, and it gets the point across. :biggrin:

And just to share, we were in Wolf Creek, CO for some boarding earlier this week (it was awesome BTW). But some IDIOT in an Acura MDX came FLYING up my rear during my decent down the pass on icy/snowy roads and tailed me for about a mile. He eventually flew past me, and I thought "What an idiot, he's going to slide straight into the....." and then he hit the guardrail......hard. I did have a few (several) choice words for him....and told the State Police all about it too.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
I turned around to make sure everyone was ok. I walk up to the guy and say "You need to be careful passing somebody in a SNOWSTORM!". I got in my car and proceeded on.
I have to admire how you handled it. I think I would've got out of the car, pointed and laughed; then I'd have waited for the cops and made sure they got the whole story from an eyewitness. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Three words... "Serve Him Right"... You know sometimes people are so stupid and don't know the danger driving on snow, espically those pick up truck driver, they seems like "YESSSS... I got a pick up truck, it got 4 wheel drive" and then they tailgate you, and those pick up truck are usually the one get into the ditch. One time I was driving to school in a snowday (before I got the forester), There was a woman driving a GMC Yukon between two lane, and the car behind me is piling up... sorry, ladies, but sometimes I just think woman drivers and pick up truck driver are idoit... especially worst when its a combination... GOD...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,859 Posts
Bad karma begets bad Karma. :icon_eek: It's too bad innocent people are pulled into the mix. :frown:

Glad to hear you were able to avoid the "crazy" driver! :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
:(
471 Posts
Jimmy guys got what was coming to him. Karma is a beeeeoootch.

sorry, ladies, but sometimes I just think woman drivers and pick up truck driver are idoit... especially worst when its a combination... GOD...
that's quite a generalization. Too bad this topic is covering an overconfident MALE driver. PS: I drive a Cummins Turbo Diesel Ram as well and tow horse trailers and a camper and may I mention have NEVER had a ticket, nor an accident. :chair:

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
And here I thought PA had a monopoly on a$$hat tailgating drivers...

·
Registered
310 Posts
For several years I worked about 5-7 miles away from my house, but most of the route was through various back roads. Now my Subaru Forester handled snow and ice like a champ, but when driving in bad weather I always slowed down and kept more distance between myself and other cars.

However on several occasions I would have similar experiences as you, where a vehicle would be riding my bumper, then swerve around me and accelerate as they continued on their way. Despite being safe and driving slower, it happened multiple times where I would catch up to the vehicle that had passed me because they had slid off the road, got stuck in a ditch, and on one occasion crashed into a street sign. Fortunately none of them hit other vehicles.

I'm not going to lie, when I'd catch up to them a minute or so after they had swerved around me, even though my speed was already reduced for safety, I'd slow down even more to give them extra time to notice me passing them. Yeah, it probably wasn't very nice of me, but I really want to make sure they learned from their stupidity.

On a side note, what is it about people in their SUVs that make them think that just because their car has four wheel drive, that it's going to be able to stop in a shorter distance on snow and ice? Whenever someone is riding my bumper in bad weather, it's always some big SUV. 4WD doesn't help you stop, even a compact 2WD car has four wheel brakes, if anything the extra weight of the big SUV is going to cause you to slide even further when your tires can't get adequate grip to stop

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Jimmy guys got what was coming to him. Karma is a beeeeoootch.

that's quite a generalization. Too bad this topic is covering an overconfident MALE driver. PS: I drive a Cummins Turbo Diesel Ram as well and tow horse trailers and a camper and may I mention have NEVER had a ticket, nor an accident. :chair:
I'm with you on this. Perhaps he should meet Jamie "Subiegal" Thomas, or Kala Rounds, or any number of other drivers up there in your area who would drive circles around him AND maintain control doing it...

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I have to admire how you handled it. I think I would've got out of the car, pointed and laughed; then I'd have waited for the cops and made sure they got the whole story from an eyewitness. :biggrin:
++would likely have led to a dangerous/wreckless driving charge for the driver.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I though about saying more stuff. After I had said "You need to be more careful in a snowstorm!" The guys (who i then realized had a deep south accent) said "Thank you for that." I then just didn't see the point in saying anything else. He had it in his eyes that he felt like an *******.

The girl he hit head-on sideway's husband ended up being a cop for the town. On the way back home I saw the cruiser taking a report, I thought about pulling over and talking to the cop. But I was thinking maybe he learned his lesson already.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
sorry, ladies, but sometimes I just think woman drivers and pick up truck driver are idoit... especially worst when its a combination... GOD...
Speaking of idiots... I think people who make sweeping generalizations fall in that category too.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My fiancee would smack me for saying that :(

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
I was on my way to work in a snow storm once apparently going too slow for my tailgater. On a straight stretch he flew past me and pulled back in and kept right on going into a cow field, narrowly missing old railroad ties the farmer has used for fence post for the barb wire cow fence. It was spectacular, he went in about 50-60 feet with a nice plume of snow going over the car as he buried himself. I never stopped. I did laugh though, a lot.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
Three words... "Serve Him Right"... You know sometimes people are so stupid and don't know the danger driving on snow, espically those pick up truck driver, they seems like "YESSSS... I got a pick up truck, it got 4 wheel drive" and then they tailgate you, and those pick up truck are usually the one get into the ditch. One time I was driving to school in a snowday (before I got the forester), There was a woman driving a GMC Yukon between two lane, and the car behind me is piling up... sorry, ladies, but sometimes I just think woman drivers and pick up truck driver are idoit... especially worst when its a combination... GOD...
When did they come out with a GMC Yukon pickup truck?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts