Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester 5MT
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04XT with 5MT and I need to do a fluid change for front and rear. I don't want to wait for gear oil in the mail. Having said that, the car shifts fine with no grinds or anything. What can I get at advancedautoparts or even walmart that will suit my car? I know I'll need GL-5 and 4 quarts of whatever I get. Will Mobil1 be ok? I read about redline, motul etc. but do I really need that?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
You may wish to reconsider Mobil 1 gear oil. It contains friction modifiers and appears to be targeted at open- and limited-slip differentials, so it may not be ideal for manual transmissions (incompatible w/ synchronizers?).

Other brick-and-mortar sources include Auto Zone and NAPA.

I received many useful comments in this discussion thread. I ended up ordering Subaru Extra S gear oil from Adam at 42 Autosports in Rock Hill, SC. The shipment to northern VA arrived two days after I placed my order.

It might be worth looking over the instructions before you start the job. The MT drain plug was changed at some point; I don't know which MY. Make sure you have the right tools for the fill/drain plugs, and remember to loosen the rear diff's fill plug before you remove the drain plug. (Much of this info and advice is courtesy of other forum members; I'm just passing it on.)

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
If it shifts fine, why not just wait for the good stuff to come in the mail?

I stand solidly behind my recommendation of Shockproof and Motul

·
Registered
04 Forester 5MT
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Haha, now I'm even more confused. So I don't want anything that contains friction modifiers/anything for an LSD. Can I use the same fluid for the front and rear?

edit: thanks crewzer for the advice. I already have the t-70 and replacement washer. I even have an oil pump thingie for the rear diff! I've been holding out on the gear oil b/c of its price.

double edit: what about this stuff http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/grease-gear-oil/gear-oil/59 I can't find lubromoly or anything else local.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
These "features" might be a concern:
  • Contains special additives to reduce chattering in limited-slip differentials
  • Recommended for (conventional and limited slip) manual transmissions where an API GL-5 or MT-1 fluid is specified
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Valvoline is probably your best bet for the 5mt that you can find at a parts store. Mobil1 is quite good in the rear diff, but I don't think they make the non-LS version anymore, so it shouldn't be used in the transmission.

Another option is to pickup some subaru extra-S gear oil which is quite good.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
I have an 04XT with 5MT and I need to do a fluid change for front and rear. I don't want to wait for gear oil in the mail. Having said that, the car shifts fine with no grinds or anything. What can I get at advancedautoparts or even walmart that will suit my car? I know I'll need GL-5 and 4 quarts of whatever I get. Will Mobil1 be ok? I read about redline, motul etc. but do I really need that?
Go to your local NAPA Auto Parts store and get Lubro Moly GL5 Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75W90, and run it in your manual trans (contains front diff too) and rear diff. It does not contain any LSD friction modifiers and will work great when the temp dips to really cold outside.

Here are some links.

Products - Fully Synthetic Gear Oil

(Lubro Moly is the USA trademark name for German made/owned Liqui Moly)

Store Locator | NAPA Online

P.S. It is a true synthetic, base oil is PolyAlphaOlefin (PAO) Grp IV.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
The M1 or the Valvoline will work fine in the rear differential. You really do not want to use anything with LS friction modifiers in the front/tranny. In a pinch you can use Redline 75W90NS.

·
Registered
04 Forester 5MT
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go to your local NAPA Auto Parts store and get Lubro Moly GL5 Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75W90, and run it in your manual trans (contains front diff too) and rear diff. It does not contain any LSD friction modifiers and will work great when the temp dips to really cold outside.

Here are some links.

Products - Fully Synthetic Gear Oil

(Lubro Moly is the USA trademark name for German made/owned Liqui Moly)

Store Locator | NAPA Online

P.S. It is a true synthetic, base oil is PolyAlphaOlefin (PAO) Grp IV.
I saw that post in another thread so I went to my local napa and they don't have any! Seems like no place around here carries 75w90 gear oil. Looks like I'm going to have to buy online unless walmart has some. :icon_confused:

·
Registered
04 Forester 5MT
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
^^If you had just ordered online you'd have it by now!:icon_wink:
haha probably not til tomorrow or wednesday. i think i'll just order online.

EDIT: Called around to different napa's and they have to order Lubro Moly. It'll be there tomorrow! Apparently everyone around here has been on a 75w90 shopping spree. no one carries that weight in ANY brand..

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
haha probably not til tomorrow or wednesday. i think i'll just order online.

EDIT: Called around to different napa's and they have to order Lubro Moly. It'll be there tomorrow! Apparently everyone around here has been on a 75w90 shopping spree. no one carries that weight in ANY brand..
Hey, let me know or write a review on how the car feels with the Lubro Moly. I'm running cheapo Wal Mart Supertech syn blend 75W90 right now and its okay but when temp dropped to below 15 degrees and the Forester had sat out all day, it felt stiff starting out same as it used to on the factory gear oil.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5X 5MT
186 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 75w90, changed every 20k miles since new. 82k miles and 2.5 years and no shifting issues, noise, etc...:confused:

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Some people get lucky.

In my experience, there have been more cases of grinding with mobil 1 than without. Enough that it wouldn't be worth it.

Fluid is a relatively inexpensive maintenance. I'd buy the good stuff, and be confident knowing that you are using transmission fluid that hasn't got a single complaint from the thousands using it.

Motul and Shockproof. You can't go wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts