Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
Joined
·
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one make a contribution to the forum in a "other" amount than the one shown in the Paypal link? Do I just make a contribution to the name in the Paypal link?
 
G

·
NahdaDamdyke said:
How does one make a contribution to the forum in a "other" amount than the one shown in the Paypal link? Do I just make a contribution to the name in the Paypal link?
That is what I did before I realized there was a thread about it.
 

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
Joined
·
5,714 Posts
Yeah, just make a donation in whatever amount you wish.
 

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
29,449 Posts
I bolded the paypal addy in the donation thread for better visibility. You can donate whatever amount you like, just ignore the paypal button in that case.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
226 Posts
Another site I'm frequenting (for my S2000) provides for paid "memberships" that get you access to the photo posting capability (via their server, I think, although I still use mine), discounts, and some other perks I don't remember.

This commercializes things somewhat, of course, but you could take a middle ground by providing some extra level of something to "donors". People who have already donated would be pleasantly surprised and others just might be motivated to donate.

I don't know what that would do to tax matters so, as they say, consult your accountant first. :) HPH

Edit -- But then, maybe you did, if Silke is your accountant :D
 

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
29,449 Posts
DrCloud said:
Another site I'm frequenting (for my S2000) provides for paid "memberships" that get you access to the photo posting capability (via their server, I think, although I still use mine), discounts, and some other perks I don't remember.

This commercializes things somewhat, of course, but you could take a middle ground by providing some extra level of something to "donors". People who have already donated would be pleasantly surprised and others just might be motivated to donate.

I don't know what that would do to tax matters so, as they say, consult your accountant first. :) HPH
I already mentioned in the original thread that contributors get a title to reflect their status and also increased picture upload quotas once attachment are enabled. We're still on a temporary hosting and forum software solution currently, so we're working on that. :)
 

·
Casper reincarnated
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
How safe and secure is PayPal?

I've never used anything like this before especially to an overseas country, I don't want my CC being accessed by anyone other than PayPal to pay SF.org.
 

·
Registered
04 XT
Joined
·
252 Posts
Do you accept paypal payment through a credit card? I really need to get this thing connected to my bank account, but have been too lazy.
 

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
Joined
·
5,714 Posts
Yes. We made it as convenient as possible for everyone. There is a 3% fee taken out of the donations now that it's an upgraded "premier" account, but it makes things more convenient for the members.
 

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Casper said:
How safe and secure is PayPal?

I've never used anything like this before especially to an overseas country, I don't want my CC being accessed by anyone other than PayPal to pay SF.org.
As safe (if not moreso) than your bank
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
226 Posts
PayPal seems quite safe. I've used it as a sender of money and as a recipient of money, and (aside from their fees) nothing's ever happened that I didn't expect.

HOWEVER, always delete immediately (don't even bother to read it) any email from PayPal. It's a huge target for phishers (people who are trying to con you out of your credit card number). (If you've never used PayPal, you of course ignore this, but as soon as you get a PayPal account you're likely to notice these attempts.) If you're ever worried about your account, login directly to PayPal without using any of those "conveniently" supplied links in those emails.

I should also say that the one supplied on this forum (that button) is genuine; I'm warning here about unsolicited email purporting to be from PayPal. HPH
 

·
Casper reincarnated
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
DrCloud said:
PayPal seems quite safe. I've used it as a sender of money and as a recipient of money, and (aside from their fees) nothing's ever happened that I didn't expect.

HOWEVER, always delete immediately (don't even bother to read it) any email from PayPal. It's a huge target for phishers (people who are trying to con you out of your credit card number). (If you've never used PayPal, you of course ignore this, but as soon as you get a PayPal account you're likely to notice these attempts.) If you're ever worried about your account, login directly to PayPal without using any of those "conveniently" supplied links in those emails.

I should also say that the one supplied on this forum (that button) is genuine; I'm warning here about unsolicited email purporting to be from PayPal. HPH
Thanks DrCloud, I was aware of the unsolicited emails and I use a program called PopTray to delete any suspect emails from my ISP's Server first and then download the remainder as normal.

I was just enquiring as to how secure data is when donating via PayPal.

Re: (If you've never used PayPal, you of course ignore this, but as soon as you get a PayPal account you're likely to notice these attempts.) Do you need to have a PP Acct to donate or not?
 

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Casper said:
DrCloud said:
Re: (If you've never used PayPal, you of course ignore this, but as soon as you get a PayPal account you're likely to notice these attempts.) Do you need to have a PP Acct to donate or not?
Silke has already mentioned you can send a money order or other but PP is far easier as it is direct debit/credit and almost impossible to hack (anything is possible).

I would suggest you PM Silke or another mod for options to contribute.
 

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
29,449 Posts
For you international members Paypal is the only way for me to process any payments. Checks and money orders from outside the U.S. don't work because the banks either don't recognize them or charge hefty fees to cash them (think $30+).
 
G

·
I sent a donation but Paypal is not showing it. Who can I PM details to so they can see if they got it? If they don't have it I can resend it.

EDIT: I sent another just in case. :)
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top