Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backed Blubaru out of the garage so I could move some stuff in.....When I left to go to the store later, I backed out like I usually do, MISTAKE :oops: , hit Blubaru's front bumper with my rear.....

I'm on the fence, do I re-paint (the dealer may assist, since they already re-painted it once), or do I remove both bumpers and just strip all the paint off??? Anyone done it??? How can I strip them without damaging the plastic??? Might look odd, but since I off-road (and don't pay attention when I back out of the garage :roll: ) I only see paint coming off in chunks slowly but surely down the road.

P.S. No Blubarus were harmed in this little mishap.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Hi Carl - I'm really sorry about your little mishap! So the
Blubaru is OK? I had a lady hit my car while it was parked at a
shopping center, I was not there. She was nice enough to call
the police and wait. There are good people out there. We tried to talk her into just paying for the 2 panels, Richard hammered out the dent underneath it and touched it up, but she insisted on going through her insurance Co. So now it's costing twice as much and it's a bigger pain for us, taking the car in for repair and all. The sad thing about it is that that nice ladies insurance will probably go up or get cancelled. Well that's my little mishap.
How did the Blubaru escape without a scratch?
Are you guys getting some of the cold weather and wind that we are? It's been so warm down here lately, but today is
bitterly cold.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
I have almost the same looking dent on my rear bumper. I just bought a touch up paint from a Subaru dealership and painted it. Sure you can still see it if you know about the dent or look close, but if smbdy doesn't know it's there they don't ususally notice it.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JudyRu said:
How did the Blubaru escape without a scratch?
Are you guys getting some of the cold weather and wind that we are? It's been so warm down here lately, but today is
bitterly cold.
Since Blubaru has the un-painted bumpers, there was no paint to peel off.
We were in the high 50's-low 60's last week, yesterday we got about an inch of snow. :D

Aleksey said:
I have almost the same looking dent on my rear bumper. I just bought a touch up paint from a Subaru dealership and painted it. Sure you can still see it if you know about the dent or look close, but if smbdy doesn't know it's there they don't ususally notice it.
You cant really see it all in the pic, where the paint is peeling is about a foot long and four inches wide. It would take alot of touch up paint to cover it. There is no dent, I was only going maybe 5mph, so besides the paint there is no damage.

A friend at work was telling me that there is an additive for the paint when your painting plastic bits, I wonder if when they painted it the first time they didn't use the proper paint. :?

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
Yikes!! :shock:
Looks like there is alot of that going around. We parked at our local KFC to chow down on a couple of those $.99 snacker sandwiches and my XT got a little rear bumper damage also. We parked in a space right next to their dumpster and one of the employees came out to dump garbage I suppose. He opened the gate and slung it wide so it came around and nailed the rear of my XT. Now I have equally spaced marks across my bumper where the chain link fencing made their mark. Their insurance company is covering the repairs but if they cut the check in my name I will probably use it for other mods. The damage is not so bad that I have to rush to get it repainted plus I know a guy who offered to repaint it for me for very little money. Shoot, I may get the whole car repainted at some point in the future anyway so why use the money on the bumper. Just a thought I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
I love the black to so I would probably just have it redone. Hopefully it would be better than what Subaru does. At least I hope it would be thicker and more durable. I have considered a two tone custom scheme but not really sure how I would want it to look. I would still keep java black in there in some form.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
A) Strip all the paint off so when you scrape it on the rocks it won't show!

or B) buy SubaXtreme bumpers! :wink:

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MountainBiker said:
A) Strip all the paint off so when you scrape it on the rocks it won't show!

or B) buy SubaXtreme bumpers! :wink:
B) Is one reason (who knows how long down the road that will be :roll: ) why I'm thinking of doing (A).

If I do get it repainted, I know I'm just going to scrape it off again. I'm also thinking if/when I do idea (B) I'm going to get black, so it would let me somewhat see what black would look like. :D

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
If you figure out a good way to strip the paint, and it looks good, let us know. I've got several rock scrapes though the color matched white paint where the black plastic shows through. Yuck! :oops:

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's Growing!!!

Stopped by the dealer today and got the # of the guy who painted it the first time and one other guy to call. Hopefully I'll have a paint removal method soon. Kinda looking forward to black bumpers.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SenorSubie said:
Maybe after this one of those protectors would be in order.. tho not really ment for this type of application :)
Thanks SenorSubie, but that wouldn't have helped in this situation. Even when the car was less than I week old I had a couple of paint chips coming off. I just don't think you can get paint to stick well to those bumpers.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
carljwnc said:
Thanks SenorSubie, but that wouldn't have helped in this situation. Even when the car was less than I week old I had a couple of paint chips coming off. I just don't think you can get paint to stick well to those bumpers.
Seems like something like that should've been covered under the paint warranty. Even with the notoriously crappy Subaru paint, I've never heard of the bumper paint just flaking off for no good reason on an almost brand-new car... :?

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
The reason the paint is flaking like that is because the guy who painted them hasn't prepared the bumper properly first. The paint hasn’t "Keyed" to the plastic either because he hasn't rubbed the surface down properly (We use a scotchbrite like pad that’s equivalent to 800 grit paper) and-or hasn't used an adhesive promoter to help the paint stick to the plastic.

To remove the paint on jobs like this I found that the easiest thing to do is to get an airgun and blow it of with that as it just blasts off (due to the lack of prepping). You problem is, I'm guessing, is that you don't have a compressor to hand. If you know someone who has then give it a whirl but TBH with you by the time you've finished there will still be lots of little bits still stuck that will need removing and we just usually repaint them back to the colour that the customer wants.

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Palatine said:
To remove the paint on jobs like this I found that the easiest thing to do is to get an airgun and blow it of with that as it just blasts off (due to the lack of prepping). You problem is, I'm guessing, is that you don't have a compressor to hand. If you know someone who has then give it a whirl but TBH with you by the time you've finished there will still be lots of little bits still stuck that will need removing and we just usually repaint them back to the colour that the customer wants.
Thanks Paltine, I actually do have a compressor so I'll give it a try (I should have thought of you when this happened :D ), now, the front bumper still has factory paint on it, is it going to be more difficult to get off??? And before anyone else says it, NO I'm not going to hit Blubaru with my front bumper to get it started. :lol:

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
The front will be more difficult as it should have been prepped properly.
there may be paint strippers out there that are plastic friendly. I would go to a store that sells them and read the labels to see if they are ok to use on plastic. IIRC your bumpers are made of PP (polypropylene).

·
Registered
2001 Outback
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Palatine said:
IIRC your bumpers are made of PP (polypropylene).
Thanks yet again Palatine!!! :D I have the service manual on CD (Thanks Peaty :D ), and where it says PP all over the place, I thought it meant 'Premium Package'. :oops:

BTW, the service manual gives very detailed instructions on how to repair damaged bumpers/paint, but no where is there any mention of a way to strip off the paint except buy cutting and peeling off small sections. They DO list all the proper paints and additives and talk about surface prep.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,921 Posts
This is exactly why I passed on the XS version of the Forester, my first Subie.

As a product designer, I have complete distain for products that are "gussied up" without any consideration as to the environment that the product would be exposed to.

Bumpers should not be painted, period. If the manufacturers could just injection mold them in a specific color, that would be fine. Producing a part in a single base color makes sense from an inventory and procurement position but, unfortunately, then exposes these parts to various color coat issues.

Bumpers are for....bumping. Paint will never stick well enough and rock chips are a part of life.

Oh yeah....I love the way painted bumpers look (when new) but just cannot stand their appearance when the paint begins to really abraid or flat peel off....

Steve

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
toysbyus said:
This is exactly why I passed on the XS version of the Forester, my first Subie.

As a product designer, I have complete distain for products that are "gussied up" without any consideration as to the environment that the product would be exposed to.

Bumpers should not be painted, period. If the manufacturers could just injection mold them in a specific color, that would be fine. Producing a part in a single base color makes sense from an inventory and procurement position but, unfortunately, then exposes these parts to various color coat issues.

Bumpers are for....bumping. Paint will never stick well enough and rock chips are a part of life.

Oh yeah....I love the way painted bumpers look (when new) but just cannot stand their appearance when the paint begins to really abraid or flat peel off....

Steve

Amen, brother - I love my plain black (or whatever color gray they claim to be) bumpers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts