Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i'm out looking to adopt a dog and want to get something to dog-proof the trunk first. are there any forester specific things to keep a dog in the trunk?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,301 Posts

·
kwkforester
2013 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
139 Posts
I have Subaru's OEM compartment separator in my MY12 model SH FXT and love it, I think the dog does too....lol. Not cheap but fits well and is well made.

·
Subassador
2017 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 6MT!!!
925 Posts
I'm not a dog owner, but there are various threads about this. There's a Subaru "compartment separator," but from what I've read here, it's only good for big dogs. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/dog-guard-barrier-563929/

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/2014-forester-dog-guard-merged-thread-195242/

Mike
This is an important clarification! I bought the OEM barrier, put my then-12-year-old Lab back there while I went into a store (windows down, parked in shade in early Spring, btw), and when I came out, he was sitting in the front seat lookin' at me like, "what?" For a size reference, see attached picture.

There are significant gaps on the sides to allow for proper activation of the side curtain airbags.

My dog is now almost 14, rides back there are the time, and surprisingly, has never tried to come through the opening again, so the interior has no signs of dog-related wear. I think he just needed to convince himself (and/or me?) that he could get out if he really needed to.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
The number one thing I can recommend to keep your pooch from tearing up your car would be training. Don't force an anxious dog into a car until they're calm. Following in that vein, don't leave an anxious dog alone in a car without some form of distraction like a PB-filled kong or a favorite stick/toy.

We have the cargo tray and dog barrier in our 1999 tin-top forester. The only way our 50 lb. lab/whippet can get to the front seat would be to chew through the rear seatbacks (we don't have rear side-curtain airbags).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...For a size reference, see attached picture.

There are significant gaps on the sides to allow for proper activation of the side curtain airbags...
Phew! That's a good-sized puppy you've got there! If he can get through the gap, it must be bigger than I thought.

Mike

·
Subassador
2017 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 6MT!!!
925 Posts
Hi All, I highly recommend Travall's Pet Barrier for the Foresters. It fit perfectly in my '16 and now my '17 and doesn't leave any gaps large enough for a dog to fit through.

https://www.travall.com/en-us/pet-barrier
That looks like a really nice barrier, but are you not concerned about side curtain airbags not fully deploying in an accident? Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but I just couldn't accept that.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,778 Posts
Remember it's not just the barrier; the plastic on the doors is soft as butter. If you don't want your doors to look scratched up (like mine) get some sort of door protector! Especially if they like to sniff/stick head out windows.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
55 Posts
That looks like a really nice barrier, but are you not concerned about side curtain airbags not fully deploying in an accident? Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but I just couldn't accept that.
It's a really good question and I did think about it. I'm not near my car right now, but when looking at it in the past, it seemed like the panels that would pop off for the curtain airbags weren't being touched by the barrier.

That said, it wasn't 100% clear to me every panel that would need to come loose for those to deploy, so I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if someone can demonstrate otherwise.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Don't want to steal this thread, but this seems to be the best place for this post.

The more I look at that Travall barrier, the more interesting it looks. Not for a dog, since I don’t have one, but just for some extra protection from loose stuff if I ever needed it. Alas, I can’t really justify spending $200 for something I might not use at this point. I was looking for some posts with pictures of the installed product and (re)discovered that they are in the links in my first post in this thread. DOH! Forgot about that.

As far as airbag deployment goes, the company says that their barriers are specifically designed not to interfere with any airbag deployment. They have a Youtube marketing video stating this at:

I guess it still comes down to whether or not you trust their claims. Since they have a barrier designed for SJ Foresters, I suspect they are "probably" correct.

I'm not trying to push this product as I have no experience with it. It just looks like a potentially useful thing.

Mike

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
55 Posts
Don't want to steal this thread, but this seems to be the best place for this post.

The more I look at that Travall barrier, the more interesting it looks. Not for a dog, since I don’t have one, but just for some extra protection from loose stuff if I ever needed it. Alas, I can’t really justify spending $200 for something I might not use at this point. I was looking for some posts with pictures of the installed product and (re)discovered that they are in the links in my first post in this thread. DOH! Forgot about that.

As far as airbag deployment goes, the company says that their barriers are specifically designed not to interfere with any airbag deployment. They have a Youtube marketing video stating this at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6BBSMN9xVs

I guess it still comes down to whether or not you trust their claims. Since they have a barrier designed for SJ Foresters, I suspect they are "probably" correct.

I'm not trying to push this product as I have no experience with it. It just looks like a potentially useful thing.

Mike
Thanks for the update and I hadn't actually seen their marketing around it not interfering with the airbags. That makes me feel a lot better.

Lastly, you read my mind about the "loose stuff". I leave my pet gate up all the time partially because it takes about 5-10 minutes to uninstall/install each time I need it, but also because I like having protection against any cargo I have in back from flying up front in the case of a bad crash.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You're welcome! I forgot to mention that the airbag thing is also in their product FAQs:

https://www.travall.com/en-us/faqs

And...it looks like it will not interfere with the rear compartment cover or the side-cargo nets, at least from the pics I saw.

Sheesh! I sound like a marketing advertisement and I've never even seen one of these things.

Mike

·
Registered
2018 Forester
40 Posts
Dogs - inside your car to protect it from dog nails, mud, etc.?

What do you have inside your car to protect it from dog nails, mud, etc.?

I see these interior door guards that stick into the window area and velcro to the door, but I don't want to mess up the windows and I know they wouldn't stay on long with my dogs standing on the door to have their heads out the windows.

I thought of putting some type of 3M adhesive protection film on the window sill area and perhaps elsewhere, and I suppose just Scotch Guard the fabric on the doors?

Then for seat protection: there's so many things out there. I've always just used random old blankets, but they always get disheveled and stinky. While I like that it makes my car look like a homeless person sleeps in there, other family members do not approve (I try and sell it as a theft deterrent but that doesn't fly).

I'm looking into Carhartt seat covers or similar, and then something to cover the back and cargo sides.

I don't want any cargo bars or cabin separators or whatever, since I sometimes like having a canine co-pilot. Makes going through drive-thrus and tolls more pleasant.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS 4eat
200 Posts
We use a Glyby Dog Car Seat Cover - Car Backing Seat Cover for Pet- Quilted Waterproof Non Slip Hammock Convertible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AVXIC2S/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It attaches to front and rear headrests and provides great protection to our leather seats and a non-slip surface for our boxer. Also there are slits to allow you to have a tether for your dog. It is quite easy to remove or install and folds up nicely.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts