Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Prem. 5 spd
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bichon which I rescued off the mean streets of the city. I've had the little guy for about three years. Prior to owning the Foz he didn't much appreciate riding in the VW Golf. He'd typically sit up front on a lap, holstered in for safety and given a view of the road ahead with a window cracked open for the feel of the moving air.

In the VW he would often throw up several minutes into the ride, or worse - going into a sympathetic reaction where he would shiver, slobber and get cold. :icon_frown: This physiological response could not be attenuated once it started and would only cease after we got off the road and broke the cycle by walking him around a highway rest stop, or other. Once the cycle stopped, he was good to go.

That being all said - in the Foz he is good as gold! :woohoo: While he may not be exactly thrilled about riding...he doesn't go into the whole crazy business of shivering & slobbering uncontrollably.

What's going on that's so good with the Foz? :icon_question: I'm thinking it's the height off the ground and increased visibility? The new silver color scheme inside? Subaru's branding the Foz as a dog-friendly mobile? :huh: Your experiences with your pup would help me answer something that's been gnawing at my brain for a while. Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

CapeAnn

p.s. here's a video link to my pup on Youtube showing the 'hard' city and Cape Ann!

YouTube - Midnight Schnoppy

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,760 Posts
My parents have a Bichon too. It's funny that she thinks she is a human and not a dog. Loved the video as she acts just like yours.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
My dog loves riding in the back of my Foz.
I just clip her into a leash that I've looped into one of the anchoring rings in the hatch area and she's fine to lay back there and watch things for hours. As long as you let her out to stretch and have a drink whenever you stop for fuel she's fine. She used to get carsick as a pup, but learned to watch where she was going and hasn't had any issues since... *knock on wood*

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Cool pics! I have to get some pics of mine in the cars. The one love the Fozzy because he can sleep without the other one running all over him. The other one hates it because she can't rest her head on my shoulder while I am driving.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
209 Posts
I have a Bichon which I rescued off the mean streets of the city. I've had the little guy for about three years. Prior to owning the Foz he didn't much appreciate riding in the VW Golf. He'd typically sit up front on a lap, holstered in for safety and given a view of the road ahead with a window cracked open for the feel of the moving air.

In the VW he would often throw up several minutes into the ride, or worse - going into a sympathetic reaction where he would shiver, slobber and get cold. :icon_frown: This physiological response could not be attenuated once it started and would only cease after we got off the road and broke the cycle by walking him around a highway rest stop, or other. Once the cycle stopped, he was good to go.

That being all said - in the Foz he is good as gold! :woohoo: While he may not be exactly thrilled about riding...he doesn't go into the whole crazy business of shivering & slobbering uncontrollably.

What's going on that's so good with the Foz? :icon_question: I'm thinking it's the height off the ground and increased visibility? The new silver color scheme inside? Subaru's branding the Foz as a dog-friendly mobile? :huh: Your experiences with your pup would help me answer something that's been gnawing at my brain for a while. Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

CapeAnn

p.s. here's a video link to my pup on Youtube showing the 'hard' city and Cape Ann!

YouTube - Midnight Schnoppy
It might be because the ride is smoother in the Foz that she feels better.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Our Champion Seat belt system just arrived las night from usak9outfitters whatevertheirnameis.. :woohoo:
So Bella will be riding in style in the backseat rather than in her crate in the back.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Forester Prem. 5 spd
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input folks. Bichons are "Velcro" dogs and compared to far more independent dogs like huskies, hound dogs they're wimpier in nature. But hey, he's my first dog ever and he's really good with young kids, older folks and people with special needs.

I might experiment with him riding in other cars. Could be the ride, though the Golf is as smooth as the Foz. Could be the high level of visibility in the cabin. As per the back of Foz...this guy cannot stand being separated from people. So, sticking him in the back with a leash won't work and if you leave him in the car he goes into a panic attack. I've got a stomach bug right now and he is on me like glue!!! :huh:

Another factor I've considered is the sunroof in the Foz is pretty spectacular. More ambient light might make him feel better? :shrug:

Cheers,

CapeAnn

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Our Champion Seat belt system just arrived las night from usak9outfitters whatevertheirnameis.. :woohoo:
So Bella will be riding in style in the backseat rather than in her crate in the back.. :biggrin:
I've got one of those too, they're pretty awesome! Unfortunately my dog has Houdini-like skills and figured out in no time how to wriggle out of the harness, so we hardly ever use it.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
^^I used to keep my dog back there all the time, but after seeing what happens in a rear-ender or roll-over to the cargo area (it's not part of the ring-shaped reinforcement frame) I only put him back there for short drives around town. For longer road trips he rides in the back seat now.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
My Lab rides in the back at least once a day, I just put the back seats down. I take my other car to work and leave the Forester in the garage (with door to backyard open) with the gate and back windows open -- the Forester is his doghouse, he loves it.

Stan

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
16 Posts
Speaking of Houdini:

I was carrying the last of the groceries in, leaving the tailgate open. I park across the street.

I let the dog out the back door to go to do his business. I went out to close the tailgate. And you can see how much he likes my Forester.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Sport utility vehicle

BTW, he had to run around an entire 5 unit condo building to get there in about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XS 4EAT
36 Posts
My Golden Retriever loves to jump up in the back of my 2000 Forester and "go bye bye in the car with Daddy." She tends to slobber on the rear side windows and shed all over the cargo area but what the heck. The car has 181K on it and I bought it to get from Point A to Point B, not to impress my fellow humans, so I don't mind sharing it with my dog. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts