Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying one as I'm about to buy a dog, so seems the logical next step...

Have spotted this, Genuine Subaru forester dog guard on eBay (end time 16-May-10 11:28:42 BST)

The listing says it's from an 01, but looking through other listings for dog guards the shape is exactly the same as one listed as being from an 04 (and therefore later model forester).

Will it fit or is it, as suspected, for the SG?

Anyone got any pics of theirs from the SF5 please?

many thanks

Mike

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
What do you want a dog guard for...? Train your dog to stay in the boot and save your pennies. :huh:

·
Registered
03 FoFo X
22 Posts
What do you want a dog guard for...? Train your dog to stay in the boot and save your pennies. :huh:
Sure sounds easy. I sort of think the same thing as I drive around Burlington and see a lot of dog cages in peoples scoobs and other cars, yet I have a dog who stays in the back seat, which is reserved for him anyhow.

Here is a site that has a chart on their main page

www . subarudogguards.co.uk/

EDIT: According to the above website, Scooby Dog Guards run from 97>02 then 02+

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,884 Posts
From the accessories catalogue...........

The feet seem to be in a different position

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
What type of dog you getting...?

As I say, I don't have a guard and my dog has never even considered leaving the boot area, except via the back door...even when left in the car for a couple of hours !

·
Registered
03 FoFo X
22 Posts
The day I bought my Forester I put my dog in the way-back, er, uh, boot, just for shiggles because no one rides in the back seat so that's his area. It only took him about an hour, when we made our first stop he climbed right into the rear seats where I'd already laid out a blanket for him. One leg at a time, watching for our reaction, ever so slowly he made his protest of "I am not Cargo"...

·
Registered
MY08 Forester 2.5XTEn manual
259 Posts
another purpose of dog guard is to stop your mutt (or other gear in boot) flying through front windscreen or taking off your head in an emergency stop or crash...

we got a subaru one when we got the car, fits well, and got it free as part of deal

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
I had a dog guard in my WRX wagon but never had one in the FXT... one of mine prefers the boot anyway and I have a lead looped through one of the cargo hoop for the other one.

The Subaru dog guards are very good though and if I am ever organised enough to find one on eBay and bid on it, I'd get one for the XT

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for info everyone. Is there no-one on here that has a dog guard in their SF5..??! Or can confirm that the item is for an SF5 (link above in OP).

Don, you're right, the height of the mesh appears too short for the SF5. Although the seller emailed me and said it was fitted in her SF5. The other used item on ebay at present was fitted in an 2005 XT and form the photos is the same item as that being offered for sale allegedly out of an SF5.

TBH, I am only considering purchasing the guard as a means of securing loads in the boot. We do a lot of festivals over the summer months and with a 3 year old an a new born I am keen to protect their position as much as possible. The idea is that a dog guard will prevent unsecured loads passing from boot area into passenger compartment in the event of a collision. We've all seen the 5th Gear tests on toolboxes in the boot (I trust!).

Also, yes, NDS and others, dogs have always previously travelled in the passenger area. When the new one is wet,muddy, hyper and hungry, I would prefer him/her to be somewhere more contained :)

Again, if anyone has a photo of OEM dog guard installed in SF5, please post a pic!

many thanks

Mike

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Pretty sure that's an SF one... If it turns out to be an SG one, you can always sell it on

A

·
0 Posts
I have a barjo dog guard and tailgate guard to stop them leaping out when on busy roads etc..

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
i have the subaru dog guard and there is a gap of about 6 inches at the top. Mine sits on top of the wheel arches and to be honest its a pain in the arse, well it was until I fixed it.

the top brackets screw in and have a tightening nut which mine constantly undid itself until I drilled a small hole all the way through it and stuck a split pin in.

Plus the standard one is a bluey grey colour, so I sprayed mine black.

·
Registered
1999 s turbo auto
21 Posts
I got this Subaru dog guard off ebay, fits securely and doesn't undo itself. (No helpful comments about picture quality :) )
The later ones have that hole in them for the centre seatbelt I believe, not sure if the other dimensions were changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Pet guard in my opinion is the best option in Subaru line. I would pay for my even 500 if it would come to that. Best money ever spend. Some of us have more than one dogs ;) and they tend to be heactic. My PPDS would destroy my car if let loose now they restricted to one area only. Good invesetment in my opinion lets not even talk about how well it works when you need to secure somethhing.

BTW I got Forester only because they have the best pet guard on the market ;) if it would not be because of one I would be still driving honda ;)

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
I know its a little late but i just checked mine and although the shape looks the same i have 2 slots in the mesh for the seat belt,

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
If you can, get the one where the bottom feet rest on the 'shoulders' of the boot space above the strut tops. Mine rests on the strut top plastic covers and pushes them down, deforming them when it's tightened. There's a pic of the better one above somewhere. (Post 14) And a pic of the one i have. (Post 15)

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
If you can, get the one where the bottom feet rest on the 'shoulders' of the boot space above the strut tops. Mine rests on the strut top plastic covers and pushes them down, deforming them when it's tightened. There's a pic of the better one above somewhere. (Post 14)
Stick a piece of wood underneath, thats what i've done with mine. got a couple of pieces of wood underneath then put a little bit of foam padding on them to stop them from squeeking.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts