Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm the proud owner of a new-used 2009 Forrester. I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried to put the dog grate accessory for 2008 models in the 2009 model? It doesn't seem that Subaru is offering one for this year and before I go to Petsmart I wanted to see if anyone had any insight....

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
The 03-08 dog guard won't fit in the 09... the interior dimensions are all different after the redesign.

·
Registered
2001 Forsester S
25 Posts
u could get a universal one...not as perfect of a fit but it works. I got one for $82, no complaints yet

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
In Canada, its called the "compartment divider" and is available in 2 different styles, one for the solid roof, one for the moon roof. Not cheap at over $550 CDN.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
For my 09 FXT I purchased a standard barrier from Petsmart. I removed the 2 leg supports and used velco straps and held it to each headrest in the back seat.

The benefits to my rig is that I can fold down the seats as quickly as a Foz without barrier.

This keeps my 2 retreivers in teh back. Let me know if you want a picture.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please let me know if you find it. I didn't see it in the brochure I received, nor have I found one online.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A pic would be great! Sounds like what you made would work for me--I just have a cocker and boston terrier---but they love jumping over.....

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
194 Posts
I have tried searching, but am unable to find if these dog grate barriers...the OEM ones are easy to install (the ones w/moonroof) and if they are easy to remove in case you need to drop the rear seats for x-tra cargo space. I would like to think there are some mount clips which would be permanent in nature, that the grate/barrier latches onto somehow....If someone out there has the 09, who installed it themself, please post up and let me know the difficulty level and how easy it is to remove the grate/barrier when it is not needed. thanx

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
I have tried searching, but am unable to find if these dog grate barriers...the OEM ones are easy to install (the ones w/moonroof) and if they are easy to remove in case you need to drop the rear seats for x-tra cargo space. I would like to think there are some mount clips which would be permanent in nature, that the grate/barrier latches onto somehow....If someone out there has the 09, who installed it themself, please post up and let me know the difficulty level and how easy it is to remove the grate/barrier when it is not needed. thanx
I saw this gate installed in an 09 forester at the dealership two weeks ago. It interested me because I have a dog. It doesn't look like it is that easy to remove, since there are bars that extend from under the cargo floor up half way and bars that extend from the Child safety latches in the back of the roof, forward. It seems more of an afterthough, than something they designed the car for. Even if you take the mesh part off, you still have the four bars to deal with. And it uses up two of the child safety harnesses...

My 07 Forester, I modified the OEM (07) dog gate for quick no-tool removal. The 07 version gate is a much better design. Too bad they didn't make the 09 version the same.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
I saw this gate installed in an 09 forester at the dealership two weeks ago. It interested me because I have a dog. It doesn't look like it is that easy to remove, since there are bars that extend from under the cargo floor up half way and bars that extend from the Child safety latches in the back of the roof, forward. It seems more of an afterthought, than something they designed the car for. Even if you take the mesh part off, you still have the four bars to deal with. And it uses up two of the child safety harnesses...

My 07 Forester, I modified the OEM (07) dog gate for quick no-tool removal. The 07 version gate is a much better design. Too bad they didn't make the 09 version the same.
James not to hijack the thread but can you tell how you modified the gate to be quickly removable. I've got a chance to get a used one for next to nothing, was from a dealer's trade-in. Pic's maybe?
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here are a couple of pics.
Disregard the blue strap. It's for a kids mirror.
I really like this setup. I was thinking of doing the same thing but its nice to see pics of it. I bought the same cheap universal barrier, so all I need to do is cut the bars and get 2 velcro straps. Thanks.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
I couldn't use the factory dog barrier because of my daughter's car seat has a tether that has to anchor in the ceiling. Subieoutlaw's setup worked great for me. Functional and way cheaper!:woohoo:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts