Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a generic, tubular style dog barrier on ebay. I've managed to break a few of the plastic pieces after using it for only a few months. I can't see spending close to $400 at Subaru for their dog barrier for as often as I need it and I think it's more of a permanent install????
Has anyone found a good dog barrier on the market that fits well? I would prefer tubular style after my dad's wire mesh style barrier tore the back of his Jeep to shreds. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks! This would be for my 09 Forester.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
break down and buy the subaru one, ya they cost a lot but they will last the life of the car and will never rattle

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited
38 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I couldn't use the OEM one because of the top tether my daughters car seat. I ended up using Subie Outlaw's solution. There are a couple of pics in this thread:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/dog-grate-2009-forester-41278/?highlight=dog+barrier

You just cut the vertical bars off with a hacksaw and use velcro straps around the headrests whenever you need it installed. With this method you can remove it pretty easily and still be able to use a cargo cover if you have the barrier up without the dog in the car.

I didn't cover the backs of the seats since my dog doesn't really lay down enough to get the seats dirty. But it does keep the dog in the back and not a bad solution for around $50.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
I have the OEM barrier in my 2010 and it has a cut out access for the top seatbelt tether for car seats or a middle passenger. It doesn't restrict any use of the backseat other than the recliner option. It's also not a permanent install as I removed the barrier to load up the Subie with peat moss at Home Depot. It took approx. 30 seconds to unscrew the 6 screws to remove the "face". I paid $200 and while I believed it was a lot of money at the time, it fits perfect, doesn't rattle, is secure, and has helped with our pup's car riding. It's proven it's worth to me.

you can see 4 of the 6 screws that hold the face in place, the other two are on the other side:

here's a side view that shows the cut out for the seatbelt:

·
Registered
2009 forester
136 Posts
in between the back seats and the front seats

hey i have been looking at dog barriers for my 09 for a while but i would like to have them in between the back seats and the front seats, due to my dogs being about 90 lb each. Does any one have any good pics or suggestions for that style. please and thanks

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited Auto w/nav
898 Posts
p.s. if you don't want to spend the money, you can just tie the dogs leash to the rear cargo tie down so he can't climb up front.
Better hope you won't have to stop suddenly. This is a good way to hurt/kill your dog real easy.

A better solution is to use an approved safety harness and then secure it to the tie down.

Just make sure that you are using a tether that is strong enough. A leather leash probaby is not strong enough.

For example

25 Mph = 11 meters per second (all numbers rounded)
50 pound dog = 22.5 Kilograms
Assume stopping time of 0.1 seconds in the case of an accident

The force will be 11,250 Newtons = 2,525 pounds of force on the leash <snap!)

Assuming that this 1.25 tons of force does not snap your dog's neck

Inertia is a cruel mistress.

I don't mean to be bombastic but many people are unaware of the large forces experienced in sudden stops or accidents.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Get the dog barier don't cheap out, I went looking for a dog Barier and ended up with Forester lol ;) hahahaha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts