Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya does your heater blow in comparison to other cars? Just went for a coffee (Tim Hortons) with a friend in her new Rav4 (no the throttle didn't stick). Now her car was stone cold ( it's -15C) on start up and by the time we got there I was ready to turn down the heater temp, by comparison I make the same trip in the morning to Timmies and even with the block heater having been plugged in no way would I have as much heat in the Forester in that same amount of time.

Does anyone else have the same opinion of their heater performance?

Does anyone with another Subaru model have the same comparison as to heater performance?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Not sure how far a drive it is to Tim Horton's from your place, or how long each vehicle was warmed up. -15C that's cold, don't even tell me what that is in Farenheit. Anyway, the heater in my 09 is truly one of the best (hottest) car heaters I've ever had...don't know if the boxer warms up quicker than other engines I've had, or if the heat vent system is just better (lots of toasty air for the people up front), or if the engine just runs hotter...but I am lovin' that heater. Last night went down to 0 degrees F here, I had the Foz on the block heater 4 hrs before starting. Started it, went back in the house for a few minutes, when I got in the car the hot air was a'blowin. Can't complain about that, eh? If your heater truly is underperforming, I'd wonder if the thermostat is faulty??? Hope it warms up for ya,
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Ltd, PZEV
17 Posts
20 degrees today in Northern Virginia, 4-6 inches of snow, and I had no issues in my 09 Forester... the hardest part was keeping the windows clear without toasting the riders with the cabin heat.

I've been consistently impressed by the heater output, much better than my previous ride which would be just be warmed up about the time I got to work (7 mile commute to and from).

And the seat warmers??? Well, those are about the finest things in the world on a cold morning...

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just so you know -15C = 5F
I'd have to say the heater performance is on par with my old 99 Forester, changed the thermostate on that with an OEM one, same results.

Looks like they have made some improvements with the new SH models.

I'd have to say that footwell performance is where it comes up short.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X
175 Posts
Just so you know -15C = 5F
I'd have to say the heater performance is on par with my old 99 Forester, changed the thermostate on that with an OEM one, same results.

Looks like they have made some improvements with the new SH models.

I concur. Anything below about 10 F, and the footwell is still uncomfortably cold by the time I get to work, (a fifteen minute drive, with a 2-5 minute warm-up prior to leaving).

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
nope, never had problems with our 06. you can feel the heat right away but that is in southern california winter conditions which is pretty much like spring weather as it never really gets cold here :crazy:

my ford truck in the other hand needs to get the engine up to normal operating temps ( about a 5 minute drive) before you can feel any heat out of the vents but as soon as it does, holy heck it'll melt your face off so the adjuster stays at the minimum and gets turned off after a few more minutes.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,484 Posts
Subaru is the best heater I have ever had.

At say 20 degrees starting up in cold..in 1.1 mile down my local road its starting to put out warm heat.

Sounds like thermostat time.

Turn on the A/C next time.
Unless its very very moist outsidethat's never necessary for me (I almost always use outside air). Maybe the A/C drain lione is plugged.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was a bit worried buying a foreign car because the heater in my friends Acura's and Honda's suck so badly they took forever to warm up compared to my Malibu. But I have to say I'm very happy with the heater in our '10. I keep the fan speed at 2 because any higher than that and after a few minutes I'm sweating

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
605 Posts
I’ve found in mine (auto climate control) if I crank the temperature knob all the way over to hot (until it stops) it heats up fairly quickly.
It’s kind of like telling the car “No messing around, heat this thing up!”

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
You may be on to something. Now that you mention it, I seldom use the footwell-only setting unless the car's interior is already warm. Whereas with most other cars I've owned, the footwell setting was pretty much the fastest way to warm up the car. The most useful setting for me is dash & footwell...unless it's bi****n cold, then I'll leave it on dash until I'm thawed out. Anyway, you're still under warranty, no harm asking the dealer to check it out...
Steve
09 2.5X AT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts