Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between ~2500-3500RPM's, not accelerating hard, just barely gaining speed & probably boosting a little... The engine has a distinct noise... I can only describe it as cards being shuffled, or like a money counting machine...
My friend thinks it sounds like kids who put cardboard on their bicycles so it flaps in the wheel spokes (but not that loud or intense)

anyone else know what im talking about?

I'm on my second engine already, I hope they've got it installed properly...

second question

When you are sitting still, and pull the car into drive, do you start to hear a very minor buzzing noise that only goes away when you put the car back into park? If im at a drive through and theres a brick wall next to me for the sound to echo, I can hear it well, putting the car in park definitely makes it go away...

This another normal Subaru noise or just me?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Between ~2500-3500RPM's, not accelerating hard, just barely gaining speed & probably boosting a little... The engine has a distinct noise... I can only describe it as cards being shuffled, or like a money counting machine...
My friend thinks it sounds like kids who put cardboard on their bicycles so it flaps in the wheel spokes (but not that loud or intense)

anyone else know what im talking about?

I'm on my second engine already, I hope they've got it installed properly...

second question

When you are sitting still, and pull the car into drive, do you start to hear a very minor buzzing noise that only goes away when you put the car back into park? If im at a drive through and theres a brick wall next to me for the sound to echo, I can hear it well, putting the car in park definitely makes it go away...

They're both perfectly normal. The card shuffling noise you're hearing is wastegate flutter, and the buzzing is the transfer duty solenoid.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/2009-forester-xt-odd-sound-40502/
Buzzing noise from AT? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Does it have like a slight metallic tapping sound? I have a similar noise as to what you are describing in the EXACT same RPM range. I was paranoid at first (being I just rebuilt my engine), but I recall my old engine doing the exact same noise in the exact same RPM range, so I take it that it's normal for the most part. But when I first heard it, I can only describe it as valve-tapping or valve train noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Buzzing Noise

I get that same buzzing noise. The only time I notice it is at a drive through with the car in gear or when standing outside the car while my wife pulls into the garage. I wasn't sure if this was "normal" or not. I've got an '09 XT.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
second question

Turn the car off, but turn the key to accessory so you can shift into drive without the motor running. Will it still make the "buzzing" noise coming from underneath? If so, mine makes the same noise (possibly just normal 4EAT chatter like a pump or something). I've always wondered if others had this noise as well.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
They're both perfectly normal. The card shuffling noise you're hearing is wastegate flutter...
I'm pretty much de-tuned to the noise of the wastegate flutter :icon_redface: - that's what happens when you ride around in a "Stage II" LGT all the time. :icon_redface: I honestly don't hear it in my wife's '09 FXT.

However, it's not at all unlikely that a newcomer to late-model FI Subarus would pick up on this distinct noise, and I can well remember when I was new to my LGT...I heard that noise and immediately jumped on the Forums to find out what it was, too. :smile:

I typically only hear flutter from *inside* the vehicle, but this is actually a pretty good representation of what I think it would sound like, from the outside:

2006 wrx flutter - Car Videos on StreetFire

Time-mark 0:02 to 0:04 and again at 0:15 to 0:18 - you can easily hear it, if you "tune out" the CBE rumble. Notice that the driver's easy on the throttle. Later, when he's on it, hard, that sound isn't present. That's a characteristic of "wastegate flutter," which occurs as the ECU strives for proper boost-control.

Also, a sound like this should *not* be heard during deceleration (when you lift off from boost) - although some aftermarket BOVs will return with a noise like it, typically, a noise akin to this, albeit a bit quicker in tempo and "sharper" sounding, upon decel/lift-throttle is attributable to "compressor surge," and that is an actual problem.

I like my cars to sound mechanical, and have considered "wastegate flutter" to be among the charms of owning an FI Subaru. :wink:

I'm gonna miss it, when I support a bigger turbo and go external.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,160 Posts
Like everyone else has mentioned, it sounds like wastegate flutter. Personally, the sound drives me batty, because I'd rather hear my exhaust. With an upgraded intake and exhaust, I hear many different noises at varying loads and RPMs; WG flutter is predominate around 2500 rpm, under moderate load. Wastegate flutter is a mechanical issue and - unfortunately - the only 100% fixes involve upgrading the wastegate actuator or installing an external wastegate. Some people have had success tightening the actuator arm to increase the pressure required to open the wastegate, but it doesn't sound like a recommended solution. An EWG on a TD04 would be pretty sweet for city driving. :biggrin::rock:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT sports
102 Posts
Does the Waste Gate flutter noise only occur in the Forester XT? Do non-turbo Foresters have this noise? Just curious. I have an '07 XT which I bought last month and like the OP mentioned, shuffling cards is exactly what it sounds like.

I've owned an '06 WRX wagon and an '05 LGT wagon and never noticed this Waste Gate flutter noise....at least it was not as noticeable compared to the Forester.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Non-turbo vehicles should not see this specific noise, as they do not utilize a turbo/wastegate.

I can't tell you of the '06 Rex wagon, but I know from my personal experience on my '05 LGT that this noise did not become apparent until after I'd switched the factory airbox for a Perrin Short Ram, and wasn't truly cabin-intrusive until I'd "gone 'Stage II.'" With the Legacy, there's a lot of sound-deadening, and that could well squelch this concern.

With my wife's '04 WRX (4EAT sedan), I honestly never heard this noise.

·
Registered
2005 FSTi SG9 FSTi 6 Speed
352 Posts
IMO, i think it happens more so with aftermarket intake/exhaust parts. i had an 05 wrx and have an 05 xt now. happened on both and way more distinctive after new dp and intake parts and the snorkus delete.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
yea i have this sound too... n noticed it after i installed my cobb dp... gets pretty loud only when under load n goin into boost.. i thought it was an exhaust leak.. but i guess its wg flutter...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my 07 forester xt sport with manual trans (and 36k miles on it) to the dealer for this issue TODAY, they told me that it's the fork that pushes the throwout bearing away from the clutch. Apparently at around 2500 to 3500 rpms, the fork vibrates. depressing the clutch puts pressure on the fork (as it's moving the throwout bearing/clutch) and the noise stops.

He said it's just normal wear and nothing to worry about (though i find this hard to believe - I'd think that anything vibrating like that is going to cause premature wear)

anyway - there ya have it... the dealer's word on it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
476 Posts
bump for an old thread.

I have the metallic tapping sound during light/medium acceleration (2000-3500rpm) ever since I replaced my td04 (bad seals) and went with a catless uppipe. I also went back to my stock dp and the sound is unchanged, still present.
When I was equipped with my old turbo I never had this sound, with or without a 3" dp.
I always thought I had a small leak at the uppipe somewhere but could never find anything. Is there a way to be 110% positive?
I guess I can try the soap/water mix to check again.
I just find the sound a tad annoying since it wasn't there before.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts