Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sold my last fozzie in August of 09, and have missed it WAAAAYYYY more than I thought I would since then.

I've decided that l again need something with 4 doors (currently only have a 1996 Miata), and the only thing I really desire is my old Forester XT!

I found one today that looks promising. It's a 2004 FXT, PSM (just like my other one), 4EAT, premium package, looks absolutely beautiful.....but it has 100k miles

Dealer says it was purchased from his dealership new, one owner, serviced at his dealership all along, and the guy traded it in on a new Forester recently.

They're asking $9,988.

What does the forum think about this? What questions should I ask?

When I bought my last fozzie it only had 41k, and when I sold it it was just approaching 60k, so this 100k stuff is new to me!

Thanks in advance :Banane35:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,490 Posts
It has the expensive timing belt & associated parts service due in 5K miles. That might be a bargaining point to get the price dropped a bit. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Yeah, if it hasn't been done, either make them work it into the price, or cut some off the price.

Even then, the price seems a tad high to me. I'd be thinking more like 8.5k?

Then again, car prices are different across the country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 2.5X & Mudrunner - great suggestions.

I've asked the dealer for a Carfax before I drive up to see it in person. Really hope it's as good as it looks on the web!!

The price for my zip code (from KBB) is pretty much in line with their asking price, but with that major maintenance item it should be able to be lowered. Even better, maybe the work was just done!?

If anybody else has any advice I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
take a mirror and mag-light and get familiar with the headgasket area to inspect for leaks. of course turbos are less likely than N/A to leak. :icon_razz:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...I thought the HG leaking was only an issue for 1998-2002 models? I mean, I know every engine has the potential for a HG leak, but I thought those were the "danger years"...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I wouldn't worry about HG problems on the turbo engines. It's really a non-issue. Listen for a noisy rear diff or wheel bearings when you test-drive. Other than that, the 04 XT is very solid. I've got over 140k on mine with power mods, and it has not been babied in its life. With proper maintenance I know it's good for at least another 100k.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,490 Posts
Thanks 2.5X & Mudrunner - great suggestions.

I've asked the dealer for a Carfax before I drive up to see it in person. Really hope it's as good as it looks on the web!!

The price for my zip code (from KBB) is pretty much in line with their asking price, but with that major maintenance item it should be able to be lowered. Even better, maybe the work was just done!?

If anybody else has any advice I would really appreciate it!
Don't expect too much from a CarFax report. When I bought my '07 last year (June/09), the CarFax showed clean, but after I bought it, I found damage that had been repaired. In addition, I found out that the Forester had been a lease vehicle & was a "repo"! :icon_eek: Still, I'm glad I made the purchase. Sometines you have to go with how the vehicle feels. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't worry about HG problems on the turbo engines. It's really a non-issue. Listen for a noisy rear diff or wheel bearings when you test-drive. Other than that, the 04 XT is very solid. I've got over 140k on mine with power mods, and it has not been babied in its life. With proper maintenance I know it's good for at least another 100k.
Thanks guys! Very sage advice.

Pleiad, one follow up Q for you: My other Forester did exhibit a bit of a whining noise under mild acceleration at lower speeds. Nothing loud, but I definitely noticed it and swore I could feel it in the gas pedal (although that may have been my imagination).

If I find something similar in this one, is that a deal killer? I mean, at 100k it's out of warranty, and unless the dealer would agree to replace the diff (unlikely), that's some serious $$$, right?

·
Administrator
29,449 Posts
Even if the rear diff is noisy, it shouldn't be a deal killer. It was a manufacturing defect for that generation and if you search for "rear diff whine" you'll find a gazillion posts on the issue, but to my knowledge no one has ever reported a catastrophic failure of the diff. Many have had theirs replaced, under warranty and otherwise, but in reality the whine can be mostly kept at bay with religious fluid changes. Mine has whined almost from day one, but still isn't showing any signs of impending failure.

Wheel bearings are different... once you can hear them (like a loud, reverberating wooowooowooo sound regardless of engine speed), you can pretty much count on the need to replace both the hub and bearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even if the rear diff is noisy, it shouldn't be a deal killer. It was a manufacturing defect for that generation and if you search for "rear diff whine" you'll find a gazillion posts on the issue, but to my knowledge no one has ever reported a catastrophic failure of the diff. Many have had theirs replaced, under warranty and otherwise, but in reality the whine can be mostly kept at bay with religious fluid changes. Mine has whined almost from day one, but still isn't showing any signs of impending failure.

Wheel bearings are different... once you can hear them (like a loud, reverberating wooowooowooo sound regardless of engine speed), you can pretty much count on the need to replace both the hub and bearing.
Hmmm...interesting! Great to know re: diff whine, really helps because I would probably have walked away before reading that. I did search around in the past (when trying to find out what was wrong with my car), but all I can remember are a bunch of "woe is me, I'm out of warranty" posts that scared me.

Unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with the bearing noise. Replaced probably ten different things on an old Mazda before figuring out what it was!

Thanks again - really do appreciate the help!! I'm going to hopefully zip over to the dealership tomorrow :Banane08:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Check it for rust. Also see if its had the trans fluid changed ever. Take it for some figure 8's to make sure the MPT and everything is working correctly (shouldn't feel FWD on WOT and shouldn't bind on tight corners). With 1/4 tank or less get on it hard around RH corners to test the fuel pump (if it stumbles or cuts out it probably needs a new fuel pump). The wheel bearings, and front O2 sensor will likely need to be replaced at some point in the nearish future (the rear wheel bearings will fail at random it seems, but the fronts seem to fail most due to abuse, I've replaced one of each so far). I couldn't even hear my failed front wheel bearing until the wheel was flopping all over and I could feel the vibration, however the rear one had the typical rotational noise.

I have 130,000 VERY hard miles on my 04XT 4eat. At this point the only issue i'm having is the downhill battle with rust as its lived most of its life up here bathed in salt.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
I'd say it was is a deal. With the asking prices out there when I was hunting around, 10k seemed like a winner to me.

'04 fxt, 4eat, 103k miles

ps. Thanks Rat :)

but yes, your 105k mile service can run you from $500-1000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!

Drove the FXT last night. It is PHENOMENAL!

All service records, all the way back to 2003. Tight, quiet, and cleeeeaann.

Dealer will split the 105k maintenance and do it on site before handing the car over.

They want $11,952 out the door, which includes the ridiculous new $450 Florida tag fee.

Still a deal?

·
Administrator
29,449 Posts
I'd say go for it...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
131 Posts
I have to chime in and say I paid 10,200 for my 04XT w/ 43k on it... so that is like 11,600 OTD for you give or take a few hundred... perhaps it was luck, but I think non-enthusiast subaru sellers will sell much cheaper than a dealer on this kinda car... IMO

Perhaps use something like craigshelper.com to search all craigslist ads for a few hundred miles... perhaps you get lucky?

·
Registered
2FXT Forester XT Limiteds 20104EAT 20044EAT
174 Posts
Chiming IN

Another bell ringer.... I bought an 04 XT Auto Limited in December '09 for $11,900 OTD in Syracuse, NY. One owner good service history 72,000 miles now 78,500 and only two Castrol Syntec oil changes, air filter and new Michelin X-Ice Xi2s so far. Next... multiple trans fluid drains and filter changes, diff fluid changes, coolant drains and brake fluid flushes. Anybody know of a good Foz independent tech near Western NY?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts