Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
3 Posts
My 2020 Limited does have the built in Nav. It was a must have for me and I had it on my 2017 Legacy. I used it over the holiday to drive from West Michigan down to Myrtle Beach. It's "Ok", but I liked the version that was in my Legacy better.

Kinda hard to explain, but i didn't care for the "timing" it uses to prepare you for a turn. Seems like you are right on your turn when it announces it. Doesn't give you much time to prepare for it. I'd guess I'd have to put my old Navi side by side with this one to define the oddity better, but it definitely has a different feel. Works fine, and I suppose I'll get used to it, but I've had built in and Garmin plug in units for years and this one is just kinda funky.

- Greg

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
16 Posts
I use both system. I have to say 80% google map while in the city... but during long road trips, I'd like to use in car navi. Just like previously stated, The route stays in the system after you shut off the car, taking a break. and many time during long road trip I would be in an area where there is no cell signals, so in car navi SOMETIMES is more reliable for me. Also I enjoy the navi direction shows up on the multi function display above the console at eye level, only if you use in car navi.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'll be using the in dash stocker. I've also had the Garmins and other Navis and they are ALL different.
But I want it built in.
So I'll live with it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I use both system. I have to say 80% google map while in the city... but during long road trips, I'd like to use in car navi. Just like previously stated, The route stays in the system after you shut off the car, taking a break. and many time during long road trip I would be in an area where there is no cell signals, so in car navi SOMETIMES is more reliable for me. Also I enjoy the navi direction shows up on the multi function display above the console at eye level, only if you use in car navi.
1. Download maps for offline use.
2. I use Google Maps all the time, stop get out of the car and it'll resume when I plug it back in.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
143 Posts
I'll be using the in dash stocker. I've also had the Garmins and other Navis and they are ALL different.
But I want it built in.
So I'll live with it.

Welcome to the family. For your built in Nav be sure to register an account at Subaru Maps so you get notices for updates for the maps and firmware on the unit. You can download this using the app from the site then create a USB drive to update the unit You will get these updates on a new vehicle for 3 years. If you have a good Wi-Fi connection near where you park your car you can set up Wi-Fi on the head unit and turn on updates which will download and update from the internet.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
998 Posts
You will get these updates on a new vehicle for 3 years.
And maybe, for people who lease or replace after three years, this is acceptable. For people like me, who keep cars until they are no longer usable, it's a deal-breaker. It's also stunningly expensive to buy, when you think about its cost as an option or an upgrade to a higher trim level. And it's an expensive option whose value plummets in a used vehicle.

And finally, it's generally part of an infotainment system that is inferior to any aftermarket system of similar cost, so it's often smarter to buy the base infotainment and just replace it with a superior aftermarket system with better sound and better features. Especially if you're planning to keep the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You seem disenchanted with almost the whole shebang. I may trade in a short time or keep forever.
I'll deal with issues as they arise. If they do.
Otherwise, now that I'm a....bit....familiar with the gizmos, I'm liking the car quite a bit. :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts