Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't seem to find any reliable info on the web. Some say you have to get a Tom Tom or other subscription but they are VERY vague about how those work.
I am amazed if the Forester does not come with navi.
Do they?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
29 Posts
Yes they do have Tom Tom in their consoles. I've not used it that much as I am used to using Google Maps with Android Auto, but Tom Tom navigation is there and it works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they do have Tom Tom in their consoles. I've not used it that much as I am used to using Google Maps with Android Auto, but Tom Tom navigation is there and it works.
Is that a subscription or a feature that comes with the vehicle as purchased?
I don't want something that has to be paired with a phone.
AND.... I can't find any info that says what the services cost IF they cost a subscription.
I'm stumped.
😟

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,920 Posts
What? Just go look at a vehicle in a dealership. But in short, yes. They do have them. I've never had my navigation system turn off on me. I've never paid for the service. So I've no clue what you're even asking, and I read what you wrote a few times.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes, you can get NAV. It's free to use with 3 years of free road updates. If you decide to not pay for updates after the 3 years it will keep working for free with the last update you received.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,067 Posts
Depends on trim level. Built-in navigation is optional on the Limited, standard on the Touring. Not available on base, Premium, or Sport. All models support Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

Many people will tell you that they get better results from Android Auto or Carplay than from any built-in nav. Even if you don't own a smartphone, buying one and a cheap data plan will be much cheaper than the option of built-in nav on a car, and will provide benefits like continuous free map updates, realtime traffic conditions, the ability to plan your trips on your computer and then transfer the routes to your phone, and much more.

On the other hand, it seems like all I ever hear about built-in nav are complaints.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm using Google maps navigation with Android Auto. I'm very pleased with it. The last 2 cars I've purchased had built in navigation and I hated it in both and ended up using just using the phone for navigation or a Garmin GPS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Canadian Limited came with NAV as a standard feature. Unfortunately it's TOMTOM which I'm not really too impressed with. Compared to my BMW and even my old portable Garmin the map detail is lacking and it is not easy to use. Luckily it also has android auto so by plugging in my phone I get instant access to Google Maps. This gives you voice, satellite view which is really good and its easy to use. I had 2 Nav system updates right away which did add some better functionality but its still not my favorite. Even if you could change the color scheme it would help. I find it difficult to find POIs without scrolling through menus which is not a good thing to do while driving. As it is connected to the internet, it should have internet search so all you have to do is tell it what you want to find and set as a destination. Anyway, it works and your not supposed to be looking at it anyways, your supposed to listen. One thing it does do, is show you the turn info on the high upper screen whatever that one is called.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the main gripe on Tom Tom? I have an ancient Garmin in my present heap and it works satisfactorily.
My partner has the built in on her Lexus RX350 and it works pretty darn good.
Can anyone describe the faults of the Tom Tom?
I despise phones and only carry a Tracfone cheapie to call out in emergencies.

Guess I could look for a mounting surface for a Garmin.
This seems INCREDIBLY STUPID for Subaru to think that anyone would buy a car without navi.
😳

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
This seems INCREDIBLY STUPID for Subaru to think that anyone would buy a car without navi.
II would never buy a car with nav, and would not consider any car that forced me to pay for it. It is ridiculously expensive, inevitably obsolete, and offers inherently inferior performance. You may think your nav works "pretty darn good," but if you haven't traveled widely using Google Maps, you don't know what "pretty darn good" is.

I bought a decent smartphone and use it with my Tracfone "bring your own phone" plan. Best of all worlds.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What's the main gripe on Tom Tom? I have an ancient Garmin in my present heap and it works satisfactorily.
My partner has the built in on her Lexus RX350 and it works pretty darn good.
Can anyone describe the faults of the Tom Tom?
I despise phones and only carry a Tracfone cheapie to call out in emergencies.

Guess I could look for a mounting surface for a Garmin.
😳
Or they realize most people know that build in nav sucks and no one wants to pay for updated maps that are already outdated.

It's not Subaru's fault you want to carry a cheap phone

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
29 Posts
Subaru's Tomtom nav is not that bad. Not great, but not bad. Also some times Android Auto seems to malfunction, so having a backup built-in nav is a good idea.

In this ever-changing technological world, nothing is ever perfect. You can't always get what you want. But if you try some time, you just might find, you get what you need. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Also some times Android Auto seems to malfunction, so having a backup built-in nav is a good idea.
In my Forester with an aftermarket Sony HU, Android Auto rarely malfunctions. But if it does, you can just use Google Maps on your phone, which you were basically already doing anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a Forester Limited yesterday. The Navi is just fine as is. A certain learning curve, I'm sure but it was easy to use when I tried it out.
:)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
267 Posts
These days, most people prefer to use their phone hooked up to Carplay/Android play for navigation and the car manufactures also see this trend to be true as well.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Got a Forester Limited yesterday. The Navi is just fine as is. A certain learning curve, I'm sure but it was easy to use when I tried it out.
:)
It'll be just fine until it navigates you the wrong way down a newly one-way street, or endlessly circling the same block, or in the middle of an empty field with the direction "walk remaining 1.3 mi," all due to obsolete map data. (These things all happened to me using Magellan or Ford nav.) Google Maps is constantly updated with crowd-sourced confirmation that the roads are actually there and go where they're supposed to.

It's a new day. Paying thousands to upgrade to a car with nav, relying on annual (at best) map updates that you eventually have to pay for, and having a big, expensive hunk of increasingly obsolete tech in your dash... that's so turn-of-the-century.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
40 Posts
Depends on trim level. Built-in navigation is optional on the Limited, standard on the Touring. Not available on base, Premium, or Sport. All models support Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

Many people will tell you that they get better results from Android Auto or Carplay than from any built-in nav. Even if you don't own a smartphone, buying one and a cheap data plan will be much cheaper than the option of built-in nav on a car, and will provide benefits like continuous free map updates, realtime traffic conditions, the ability to plan your trips on your computer and then transfer the routes to your phone, and much more.

On the other hand, it seems like all I ever hear about built-in nav are complaints.
I will alw

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
40 Posts
I have Nav on my Touring and love it. I had Carplay on my last truck and consider it more of a PITA because of using the cord every time I enter or exit the vehicle. I turn my key and the Nav is always there. No system is infallible. I used my Carplay in eastern Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and BC and a lot of times relied on maps only because of NO cellular coverage. Sure you can download Google maps to use if you have enough space on your phone. Just adding more complexity to a process that I get by only tuning my key.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts