Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I just recently moved my 2 12'2 (1800watts max) to my Foz. I used to have them in a Mazda Protege in the trunk. My problem now is that they are 100X quieter than when they were in my sedan. Is this a known issue with people installing systems in their fozzys? What can I do to regain some of the lost bass? I have the head unit/amp/wiring setting all the same as they were in my other vehicle so that shouldn't be a problem. Please let me know if you have any ideas! I'd hate to sell it all cause I'm a major bass addict :biggrin:

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I would make sure all your wiring is correct, the gain on the amp is correct, the head unit doesn't have any high pass filters or anything on and going from a trunk to an essentially free air situation can cause a loss in bass as well. What kind of 12"s and what kind of box?

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
It is usually a function of distance and the air volume combined, that is probably what is playing against you.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
A car is really a big bandpass enclosure. You have the sub box then the cabin. Open and close your windows and you'll notice the bass will change. And yes, just plain old car design will have an effect on all the speakers. That's why some of the crazy IASCA guys will buy a car based on how good they think it will sound with a system in it.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah good tips guys. And in response to the first question, I have 2 Kenwood 900w rms subs built in 2 custom ported enclosures. I re-wired my ground and that helped a little bit but all in all this is severely disappointing. I fear that in order to regain what bass I lost, I would need to upgrade my system dramatically because I have the subs on the back seat facing the front and the rear view mirror doesn't even vibrate. Thanks for the help so far fellas!

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
that's odd. You usually get better "cabin gain" in a hatch back vs. a car with a trunk. I had two Soundstream Reference 10" in my 998 Forester and it would make all the hair on your body stand up and it would vibrate the rearview mirrow so bad it would nearly fall off.

Have you checked to see if your speakers wire out of phase? If they are they would cancel each other out and you would get poor results. Ignore the + and - and try switching the wire on one sub. I would suspect that woudl be the issue because two 12s in the hatch should rattle the crap out of the car.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing is, my subs are flexing like they should and how they always used to. I'm just not feeling the sound pressure like I used to in my other car.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
If they are out of phase they will still be moving a ton, but they won't sound like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts