Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one but I find myself using it less and less. I usually have everything out of site before I get to my destination, which also deters potential smash and grabs.

I've noticed fewer Clubs in cars visible while walking out from the movies the other evening, still see them in a lot of ricers though.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
lol thats sooooo 90's, plus from what i understand they arent that hard to break off, and they can aid in breaking the steering wheel lock by giving them a place to grab on to, and break the lock

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
Yeah they are easily defeatable. Plus if you have a Subaru with the engine immobilizer, your car pretty much can't be stolen unless it's dragged onto a flatbed anyway.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
Yeah... I often don't even roll up the windows or lock her.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
Yeah they are easily defeatable. Plus if you have a Subaru with the engine immobilizer, your car pretty much can't be stolen unless it's dragged onto a flatbed anyway.
funny thing being that at my school, we talk about things like this..............and we all agree that would be the way to do it, ok well a box trailer with a winch in the front and drag the car in, close her up, and bam your gone, that being said its a school full of auto techs, what else would we talk about, well there is the part where if it happens to us we go on an armed man hunt:mob::Banane36:

·
Registered
2008 OBXT
101 Posts
^ I actually (unintentionally) did that :biggrin:. Years ago I had a python that got loose and hid in my old BMW on the way back from the vet. That same night some hoodlums decided to break into my car. They took some little things but apparently left rather abruptly (left the aftermarket stereo, ~$40 in the ashtray and other valuables), I always assumed they ran into the snake and bailed. I found the snake sunning itself on the dash 3 days later.

Getting back on topic, no, I haven't used the Club in close to a decade - still have it collecting dust in the garage, though.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
A simple single hacksaw cut through a steering is all that is needed to remove a Club or you could use a Club Buster.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
I have one, it's probably in the garage somewhere. I used to use it when I left my Grand National in a parking lot, somewhere like that. With my current rides, the Sube would be too hard to steal to bother with a marginally effective gadget like the Club, and I doubt if a 1996 Intrepid with 166,000 miles on the clock would be very high on anyone's must-steal list anywhere. :biggrin:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have one. It was a gift. It's been on a shelf in the garage for close to 20 years.

Guess what? It works. Have not had a vehicle stolen. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
In the 80's I lived in the city and had street parking. Lots of vandalism and theft. I put a club on my Plymouth Reliant (stop laughing!) just to make the next car down the line seem like an easier target. My landlady had a "crooklock", a bit like the Club but hooked around the steering wheel and the brake pedal. This was on her 78 Mercury Monarch (really, stop laughing!).
One night I came home and a very large and very drunk man was in the Monarch , leaning w/all his weight on the bottom of the steering wheel. He had bent it like a pretzel and almost had the crooklock off. I think the effort had exhausted him. Thinking I was the car's owner, he looked at me, muttered an expletive, and staggered slowly off into the city night.
Steve
09 2.5 X AT

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have an autolock on my Malibu, have had it for about 8 yrs, we don't use anything on the Forester. The autolock is the one that goes around the break which you can't really cut off like you can cut the steering wheel. Well I guess you could but have fun stopping once you cut off the brake :)
The idea is not that it would stop anyone from stealing the car but at least it would slow them down. If there was two cars side by side they would take the one without the lock. I saw the link that was posted above about how to break off the lock but if you want to bring that tool plus a wrench and lay on the ground outside the car to steal it they must really really want it.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,036 Posts
No. Transponder in the key disables the ignition. Lo/jack brings it back home real quick.

·
Registered
1990 Nissan Automatic
4 Posts
I recently acquired a 1990 Nissan Sentra B14. Do not laugh, in my country this is one of the most wanted car even by theives

·
Registered
2007 Forester Premium
1,923 Posts
They are no match to a seasoned thief. My wife's integra was jacked from in front cleanly even with the "club". I use the autolock for the pedal, just as an extra layer. I wouldn't put too much trust in them at all. The only good news of her integra being stolen is she's driving a 09 foz.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts