Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
05 WRX STI
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 XT 5 speed and I bought it used with 16000 miles in 07. When I checked the trans fluid I noticed it was on the low side. I checked with dealer and he sold me the Motul 75/90 fluid I use to top up . I notice every 5000 to 10,000 miles the fluid is always back at the low side. What is up with that? Car has 40,000 miles now and at 30,000 I made them change the MT fluid because it was extremely stiff during cold weather. They put the STI fluid in was what they recommended . I checked it after that and it did not use for a long time . Now at 40,000 it was below the low mark . Any thoughts? Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
I know a this is a basic question, but are you checking after letting it sit for a couple of hours and on a level surface?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Did they replace the crush washer? If not, you could have a leak.

·
Registered
05 WRX STI
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know a this is a basic question, but are you checking after letting it sit for a couple of hours and on a level surface?
Cmon now I can not be the only one that has this issue! Level driveway, Any fluids are checked 12 to 24 hours after last use of car . NO leaks underneath from plug. I have had to add at least 1/2 bottle of the MT fluid in the last 24,000 miles and that is 4 or 5 times it has been on the low mark.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Your neighbor is stealing your Motul lube a couple cc's at a time ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Difference may be caused by installing fluid in warm trans, and checking fluid in cold trans. The expansion range may be enough to cause a gap. It does for oil and ATF, so probably trans oil as well.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Cmon now I can not be the only one that has this issue! Level driveway, Any fluids are checked 12 to 24 hours after last use of car . NO leaks underneath from plug. I have had to add at least 1/2 bottle of the MT fluid in the last 24,000 miles and that is 4 or 5 times it has been on the low mark.
Start looking for a leak.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
There is no way the 5MT could consume fluid. It HAS to be leaking from somewhere. That somewhere could be through the input shaft seal into the bellhousing, which is a difficult one to find. It usually manifests itself in a slipping clutch and lots of smell.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L
26 Posts
Look at the axle shaft seals, that's where I had a similar leak a little while ago. Do you get a smell whenever you stop at a red light??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts