Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll try to shorten the story:

My sister bought an identical car to my wife's 99 forester L, same color even, only difference is the 5-speed transmission.
Anyway, it's had problems.
Was losing oil... I saw leaks so i replace the valve cover gaskets, gromets, spark plug gromets and spark plugs (since they were fouled)
And it seemed to run better.
She took it to a garage to get it legal and registered and they were supposed to see where it might still be loosing oil, fixed the axle boot that is leaking and weld up the heatshield that is rattling profusely.
After checking the car out they said it needs a new head gasket (i'm not suprised) but then after checking around some more they say there is NO compression on cylinder 4 (cracked cylinder wall? bad rings?).
They also told them that the car seemed like a money pit and they wouldn't put anymore money into it and would just try and get rid of it... well, my sis only paid $2500 for it and yes it has more problems than she'd like but that seems rather "glass is half empty" to me.
Anyway, they say that the car has some major oil leak that it would be more trouble than it's worth to try and fix and since we haven't done anything yet to the car they will look for another motor.

So now that i've given the background let me ask:
Does the replacement motor have to come out of the same year forester?
They said that it did infact have to.
I know that throwing a dohc would not be a simple plug and play but wouldn't any of the 2.5l sohc mas motors work?
And just a side note, wouldn't any lesser sohc motors work as well?
You probably realize that i'm hinting at a 2.2l sohc motor.
Could the car be driven AS-IS for any amount of time?

If anyone can help it would certainly mean a great deal.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
I'll try to shorten the story:

My sister bought an identical car to my wife's 99 forester L, same color even, only difference is the 5-speed transmission.
Anyway, it's had problems.
Was losing oil... I saw leaks so i replace the valve cover gaskets, gromets, spark plug gromets and spark plugs (since they were fouled)
And it seemed to run better.
She took it to a garage to get it legal and registered and they were supposed to see where it might still be loosing oil, fixed the axle boot that is leaking and weld up the heatshield that is rattling profusely.
After checking the car out they said it needs a new head gasket (i'm not suprised) but then after checking around some more they say there is NO compression on cylinder 4 (cracked cylinder wall? bad rings?).
They also told them that the car seemed like a money pit and they wouldn't put anymore money into it and would just try and get rid of it... well, my sis only paid $2500 for it and yes it has more problems than she'd like but that seems rather "glass is half empty" to me.
Anyway, they say that the car has some major oil leak that it would be more trouble than it's worth to try and fix and since we haven't done anything yet to the car they will look for another motor.

So now that i've given the background let me ask:
Does the replacement motor have to come out of the same year forester?
They said that it did infact have to.
I know that throwing a dohc would not be a simple plug and play but wouldn't any of the 2.5l sohc mas motors work?
You probably realize that i'm hinting at a 2.2l sohc motor.

If anyone can help it would certainly mean a great deal.

Does the replacement motor have to come out of the same year forester? No

They said that it did infact have to. They're wrong

I know that throwing a dohc would not be a simple plug and play but

wouldn't any of the 2.5l sohc mas motors work? Stick with what it came with.

You probably realize that i'm hinting at a 2.2l sohc motor. Could be done but ECU/harnesses and other things would have to be changed over.

With NO COMPRESSION in a cylinder my guess would be no.

I put a 2004 ej25 in my 2001,just used my intake manifold.
Others will pipe in but they're is a range of years that will fit.
Subaru's are like LEGO's.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Sounds about right. The same year or newer laws exist in about every state. However it all depends on how far your state goes with the inspection. The laws were originally intended to prevent guys like me from dropping in a '70s small block chevy V8 into say a '90s jeep with a 4 banger.

All in all if they are not checking the numbers on the block you will be fine replacing it with any 2.5 SOHC engine up to '05.

2006 and later NA have AVLS (active valve lift system) and have a few added things going on with the cams.

As others have mentioned depending on what year engine you grab it may be easier to swap the intake assembly, sensors, wiring harness from the original engine.

Also look at yours and see if there is a metal pipe running from the drivers side of the intake to the back of the drivers side head, this is the ERG plumbing and was hit or miss on some vehicles(IE '03 baja had no EGR, Had a ERG with one of two different threads in the head for the EGR pipe). If your is none EGR you can look for any thing and simply use a pipe plug to plug the EGR port in the head. If your is EGR it would require you picked up a none EGR engine it would require you to A swap heads [/B]B[/B] drill and tap the location for the port(it is a cast spot in all heads, just not drilled/threaded on some).

There are also the pulleys that trigger the crank and cam sensors depending on year/car of origin you may need to swap these also as the number of tiggers on them was either 5? or 7? and having the incorrect ones will result in you scratching your head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts