· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,802 Posts
@Bill montanari welcome to the forum!

Please complete your "Public Profile" ► add your vehicle details! ◄
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

· Super Moderator
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
2,492 Posts
I can tell you generally that the drive belt moves when the engine is running. This action rotates the clutch pulley. There is a plate that is attached to the compressor input shaft. When the electric magnet is energized, it pulls the pressure plate into the rotating pulley face. The friction between the rotating pulley and the pressure plate is what rotates the compressor.

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,550 Posts
The answer is a little complex. Just because you don't have the climate control set to cooling, it doesn't mean that the AC compressor won't run. It runs if the car is defrosting the windows, even if the temp is set to something warm, to dehumidify the air that is being blown onto the windshield.

@Bill montanari - You need to be a bit more specific with your question. Do you have a problem where the AC compressor is running (clutch engaged) all the time?

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
1,893 Posts
To plainly address one possible motivation for this question, if you look under the hood at the operating engine, yes you can plainly see the difference between when the a/c compressor is engaged, and when it isn't. A lot more parts turn, when it's engaged. The doubtful part here is what exactly the poster means by "the a/c is being used". If I recall correctly, when Defrost is on, the a/c definitely is engaged but I don't think the dashboard a/c light lights up. To me, that means the a/c is being used (definitely by the car, but maybe not by the driver, or so they may think).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts