Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After numerous trips to Foresters with the CEL fault we did the o2 sensor fix with the exhaust insert (cheers Simon)

Itsback!

Start the enggine 3 timmes and it goes out. Then when youi drive it it comes back opn along with the Cruise flashing light also. Its a pai, I did over1,100 miles in 4 days last week in Scotland it never missed a beat.

I can't afford any more time off work to get it looked at again. Do you think a new ECU would sort it out?

Cheers.

AM

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,915 Posts
So what code/s is being thrown??

Difficult to give any opinion without.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
ECU is probably being fed duff info from duff sensors, bad earths and that kind of black magic I reckon. I thought ECU's work or Don't.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers all trying to get into Foresters this Friday before they break up for Xmas.

i will let you know the codes.

Well miffed after the last 5,000 miles easy motoring, but noooooo GRUNT!!:shake:

ATVB.

AM

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Dare I say it? Should've kept the FSTI.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2005 xt magic wand
4,072 Posts
Al, ive a code reader if you want at least then you have the facility to read and clear the buggers? pm me your address and il post it down its seen better days but it will do the job!

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At Forseters today fault code P0031 the poxy o2 sensor agaij evenafyter the mechanical fix, so. He's going to order another. 02 sensor.

Oh btw, Ivan has a White Japanese STI Autofor sale I had a look at it, nice!

ATVB

AM

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,575 Posts
That's the front O2 sensor so doing the mechanical fix with the spacer (which I assume would have been done at the rear) would make no difference.

I would replace the sensor and take it from there.

A friend kept having this code in his FSTi even after replacing 2 sensors, I think the wiring was faulty in the end.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,915 Posts
At Forseters today fault code P0031 the poxy o2 sensor agaij evenafyter the mechanical fix, so. He's going to order another. 02 sensor.

Oh btw, Ivan has a White Japanese STI Autofor sale I had a look at it, nice!

ATVB

AM
P0031 as Fivos says relates to the front A/F sensor heater circuit in the manifold not the O2 sensor in the exhaust.

Alan, what vehicle/model are we talking about?? A Forester or a Legacy as I'm not clear on your current lineup :biggrin:

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,915 Posts
2004 Outback I think Don.

As far as I recall, Alan currently has an Outback, Mrs Alan currently has a Legacy.
Ahh...........so a 2.5L N/A or 3.0L N/A

A/F sensor will be item 8 on here............ item 7 O2 sensor

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers everyone as usual Don bang on. We haave replaced 2 used no 8,s and done the mechanical fix with the. Metal tube threaded into the front manifold. It has worked for 5,000 plus miles and over 1,000 miles in 4 days last week in Scotland. Gareth spot on 2004 Outback Auto 2.5. Wifelet 2.5 Legacy Estate Auto 2.5. Ivan is going get me to order a new one and fit (Stealer or anywhere else to buy it). He has suggested Sinons fix and get it mapped out . Maybe see about aremap at Powerstation.

As I said he has a white Japanese import FSTI Auto just over 300 brake.

Cheers.

Am

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,915 Posts
The usual thing with the A/F sensor is the heater element fails at about 7+ years.

Amazing the number I know of that have gone at about this time scale.
I would say using the "mechanical" fix for this sensor is a no no. O2 downstream one yes.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,575 Posts
I would say using the "mechanical" fix for this sensor is a no no. O2 downstream one yes.
Indeed, the second lambda is to measure the catalyst's efficiency but the first one is used to calculate fuelling as I understand.

If you use a spacer and it doesn't read any air I guess it may lean out the mixture to compensate and that's not what you want.

Better fit the sensor properly Alan sooner rather than later.

IIRC Brian was after an auto FSTi but he got an Lancer since?

Btw, is the first A/F sensor a wideband one? I think so..

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Indeed, the second lambda is to measure the catalyst's efficiency but the first one is used to calculate fuelling as I understand.

If you use a spacer and it doesn't read any air I guess it may lean out the mixture to compensate and that's not what you want.

Better fit the sensor properly Alan sooner rather than later.

IIRC Brian was after an auto FSTi but he got an Lancer since?

Btw, is the first A/F sensor a wideband one? I think so..
I'm not sure if it is a wideband one I will ask Ivan, any idea which one for the outback and where to get one.

Brian was after an Auto FSTI your right he got the Lancer.

Cheers.

AM

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The usual thing with the A/F sensor is the heater element fails at about 7+ years.

Amazing the number I know of that have gone at about this time scale.
Cheers Don,

Good to see you At Prodrive, Ivan and I had to be somewhere else later.

He has all kinds of interst in his new Forester Beastie!

Cheers.

AM

1 - 20 of 40 Posts